Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Boondocking (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/)
-   -   One Generator with a classy carrier (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/one-generator-with-a-classy-carrier-193285.html)

Glampman 03-16-2019 08:45 PM

One Generator with a classy carrier

2 Attachment(s)
Got my Torklift Lock and Load generator carrier to hold by Generac 2200i in very classy fashion all set up this week. In combination with the Micro-Air Easy Start I am able to limit myself to one small generator to power the 13500 BTU AC unit plus a nearly everything else, save the micro wave.

I wanted to keep my AS sans bumper because I really like the sloaping aesthetic being visually uninterrupted when not carrying the generator.

Really happy with this Torklift product that easily locks into the Torklift trailer hitch added to the AS.

AtomicNo13 03-16-2019 08:59 PM

Prepare to be flamed....

GMFL 03-16-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 (Post 2220839)
Prepare to be flamed....

Hahaha:lol:

rowiebowie 03-16-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glampman (Post 2220835)
Really happy with this Torklift product that easily locks into the Torklift trailer hitch added to the AS.

I say make it yours. If you're happy and it works, that's all that matters.

ROBERT CROSS 03-16-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 (Post 2220839)
Prepare to be flamed....

or...genuflected 😂

Bob
🇺🇸

rmkrum 03-16-2019 10:18 PM

One Generator with a classy carrier

What’s being referred to is the issue of a lot of weight way to the rear on a trailer frame that was NOT designed to handle much weight at all past the rear bumper. Weight way back there also exacerbates any tendencies to induce uncontrollable trailer sway.

It’s flat not a good idea to put heavy stuff back there for good Engineering reasons.

In a polite manner, it’s FAR safer to put that nice generator in the bed of the truck. Not a good design, and personally, I wouldn’t want you passing me on a fast downhill.

Let the usual yelling commence.

Glampman 03-17-2019 12:54 AM

Appreciate your intent relative to the weight. I tested the trailer on the freeway in quite windy conditions. No additional sway in the rear.

I am assuming your perception might be bent towards how you may distribute weight in the back of your own trailer when you travel. I am highly cognizant of weight ratios and closely monitoring my speed. Sewer tanks are empty and no other additional items weighing in the back.

I know, it is much easier to view and comment without considering nuance. Nuance is far more boring than absolutism. The world was flat until it wasn't.

Enjoy the Spring and I will enjoy the vitriol my post will likely engender. And I will have cool AC minus shore power in the meantime.

Mach5 03-17-2019 01:20 AM

Aside from the possible decrease in stability, I like the installation. A good solution to having to lift that heavy thing into the back of your vehicle all the time.

Is that a Blue Ox Swaypro rotating latch on the trailer? If so, it looks like you are at least one spring bar short. What type of weight distributing hitch are you using?

Mach5 03-17-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach5 (Post 2220874)
What type of weight distributing hitch are you using?

Sorry about quoting myself, but apparently I'm too late to edit my original post.

Honda Pilot probably has a class 3 hitch, with a max tow of 4500 lbs. The 22FB Sport gross is 4500 lbs, so you probably don't need weight distribution anyway, nor is it recommended by Honda.

Streamracer 03-17-2019 09:13 AM

Nice set up if that's what you like. I hope you have a good weatherproof cover or you will find a lot of dirt and grime from road spray. Happy camping.

Silverpuller 03-17-2019 09:22 AM

Nice, clean looking rig. If we carried a generator, I’d probably mount it exactly the same way. Until our current AS, I put a 2” hitch receiver on every trailer we’ve owned (four) and carried more weight than your generator. NEVER have had a problem.

pteck 03-17-2019 09:37 AM

That should work great for you and should have you ready to tackle some good summer camping.

Nothing wrong with how and where you have it given its minimal weight, close and tight to the body. As you don't have a bumper, it's closer and tighter still, and is less weight overall than putting on a bumper, Fiamma rack, and a couple bike, that is approved by the manufacturer. As you're well cognizant of keeping enough tongue weight, I'd say you've done your due diligence.

Great comment on the absolutism that exists on these boards.

OTRA15 03-17-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmkrum (Post 2220860)
What’s being referred to is the issue of a lot of weight way to the rear on a trailer frame that was NOT designed to handle much weight at all past the rear bumper. Weight way back there also exacerbates any tendencies to induce uncontrollable trailer sway.

It’s flat not a good idea to put heavy stuff back there for good Engineering reasons.
. . .

Ditto.

Just a simple factual observation that Airstream's design parameters probably do not anticipate this much weight at the rear.

Just a simple fact . . . for everyone's information.

Exceeding a manufacturer's recommendations exposes the owner to various risks, which he or she is free to ignore [blithely IMO].

No flaming etc. in these simple factual observations.

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- The combined weight of the lift and gen is, what, about 170 pounds? [another simple fact BTW!]

ROBERT CROSS 03-17-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glampman (Post 2220872)
Appreciate your intent relative to the weight. I tested the trailer on the freeway in quite windy conditions. No additional sway in the rear.

I am assuming your perception might be bent towards how you may distribute weight in the back of your own trailer when you travel. I am highly cognizant of weight ratios and closely monitoring my speed. Sewer tanks are empty and no other additional items weighing in the back.

I know, it is much easier to view and comment without considering nuance. Nuance is far more boring than absolutism. The world was flat until it wasn't.

Enjoy the Spring and I will enjoy the vitriol my post will likely engender. And I will have cool AC minus shore power in the meantime.

To be clear, it is not a sway or weight distribution issue that is being referenced. It is an AS structural design issue.

The AS belongs to you...see reference in my signature. 👍
IMO it really doesn't do anything aesthetically buttwise.

Bob
🇺🇸