Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   What to look for when buying pre-owned AS (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/what-to-look-for-when-buying-pre-owned-as-193063.html)

LSutherland 03-10-2019 07:17 PM

What to look for when buying pre-owned AS

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have a deposit on a 1981 30' Excella. In a couple weeks I'm flying to go see it in person. We are new to AS and trailers in general. What are some things we should look for when viewing a pre-owned AS?, what questions should I ask? What are deal breakers? Our plan is to renovate the entire thing as we need to change the layout to suite our family of 5...so not sure what are the must haves and what isn't to big of a deal. We are getting it for a really good price which is awesome...but makes me a bit skeptical :)

Thank you!!
Lindsay

DoubleR 03-10-2019 07:21 PM

You might consider getting an inspector to look at the trailer for you. Look on this page on the right side about half way down.

azflycaster 03-10-2019 07:59 PM

This checklist will show you that there are many things that you can check. Having an experienced inspector would be helpful. One of the most important things to check is that the seller has a clear title with their name on it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1215128295

Good luck...

LSutherland 03-10-2019 08:04 PM

Thank you so much for the checklist, it is much appreciated!

AtomicNo13 03-10-2019 08:13 PM

Most assuredly the axles will have to be replaced, it's an age thing. Frame integrity next, see, then shell leaks. Other than that it's all about cosmetics.... Which sounds like you'll be discarding at the remodel.

glrtex 03-11-2019 12:13 PM

IMO, the one thing you SHOULD do is one thing you CANNOT do. That’s to remove the belly pan. If I had been able to do that with my AS, I would not have purchased it!
Serious metal cancer on the frame is a game changer. It would never have felt comfortable patching my original frame, so I built a new one. I knew how to weld, but the whole fabrication of a new frame really challenged my skill set.
Not only that, it requires a shell off Resto that has enough challenges itself.
I performed the checklist, but it did not save me from the frame “gotcha”.

Greg

Freedom21 03-11-2019 02:25 PM

We have a 1989 Excella, paid a decent price (to us) in 2015 ($13k) found some floor rot after purchasing, as the replacement fridge didn't have the condensation tube routed properly, cut out rotted section (18"x24") and replaced it. Pulled up/replaced carpet put down floating "click type" flooring, rest of floor looked good. Upgraded A/C and added e-z start to it, a.c. converter, new axles w/3" lift, 16" rims w/LT tires,ceiling/bathroom fans, replaced plastic toilet w/porcelain, converted rear twin bed to queen, hall closet temporarily to a crib, replaced electric jack, lights to LED. Have about $23k total in the trailer, much, much less than a new rig and easy to work on for a DIY person (s). In our case, we were able to camp in the trailer from day one and spread out improvements as we decided what we wanted to do. We got lucky, but good deals on older trailers, especially 80s/90s models are out there. An experienced RV inspector would be money well spent, good luck and safe travels!!

Freedom21 03-11-2019 03:29 PM

Here are a couple of books that we used while working on our trailer for both ideas and inspiration. This first book is our favorite, "Restoring a Dream, My Story of Restoring a Vintage Airstream", Tim Shepard. It's a story of an EBay purchased AS that wasn't quite as intact as advertised, the author's lessons learned that he took to his next AS renovation. The next is "The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance", Rich Luhr. This book covers preventive maintenance and explains many systems on AS trailers, it's a good spiral bound book to read and keep in the trailer. Good luck and safe travels...

Silver Pit 03-12-2019 11:04 AM

what to look for when buying pre owened

Hi Lindsay
Please call Ted at 306 249 1792, I am from Saskatoon and a member of the Alberta/Saskatchewan Airstream Club and may be able to be of some assitance.