Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   All Argosy Trailers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Electric jack blows fuse every time. (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/electric-jack-blows-fuse-every-time-192112.html)

Argo20 02-12-2019 07:34 AM

Electric jack blows fuse every time.

I have a 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet. Every time the electric jack is maxed out it blows the fuse. So far it has only done this while in the up position.

Detailed explanation:
While trying to relocate the trailer from the driveway to the backyard we tried to use a 2016 Dodge Ram. The ball was too high for the tongue and the jack maxed out. Upon trying to lower the jack again for a shorter ball on a smaller pickup (2012 Toyota Tacoma) the jack wouldn’t budge. We located the fuse box and determined it had blown a fuse(first fuse blown). We replaced the fuse and tried again.

As soon as I touched the switch it wired up and stopped(second fuse blown). It was then that we figured out it would blow a fuse each time it maxed out in the up position.

Having not been familiar with the trailer since we JUST GOT IT, we didn’t know which direction to flip the switch to go down so it was a 50/50 chance we were gonna blow that fuse too. Well, I flipped it the wrong direction and it blew(third fuse blown). That was our last fuse. We replaced the fuse wrapped in aluminum foil and now that I know I had to flip the switch to the passenger side of the trailer to let it down we could do so.

Twist: when we relocated the trailer from my grandparents house to mine the jack worked fine. It never blew a fuse but we also aren’t sure that we had to max out the jack at all. So this is either a new problem for the trailer or we unknowingly haven’t encountered this problem yet. However, the fuses we had on hand were the exact fuses needed to replace the blown fuse for the jack. They just happened to be stashed in the cabinet. Could this have been a pre-existing problem my grandfather dealt with and he knew to keep the fuses on hand? He’s been in heaven for two summers now so I can’t ask him and my grandmother doesn’t know.

Any advice, experiences or comments are greatly appreciated. TIA

Silvertwinkie 02-12-2019 09:26 AM

My 04 did the same thing, only if I fully retracted it not extended. When at the factory I put it on the warranty claim list and turns out the power jack when fully retracted would come in contact with the supply wire, short it and blow the in-line fuse.

They said they fixed it, but it never really worked as advertised. I just make sure not to fully retract it and when it dies, will replace with a unit that is better than the OEM that was installed.

Given the age of your unit (assuming the jack is also fairly old), high power draws from it sticking or not functioning as it did when new could also blow a fuse in an overload situation. Jacks are sort of like disposable razors, unless it's obvious and an easy fix, more times than not, just less of a hassle to replace IMHO.

richw46 02-13-2019 08:31 AM

On my AS, when the jack maxes out it hits a limit switch and cuts off the power. Perhaps your jack doesn't have the switch or a previous owner has removed it/wired around it.

You can use a Sharpie to put a small arrow for UP on one side of the switch to let you know which way to press it so you don't blow fuses.

daleyocum 02-13-2019 10:44 AM

My brand new 2018 did the same thing. The dealer had to replace the jack. I eventually replaced the jack with a Husky anyway which is a far better, quieter, jack. I wouldn’t mess around with it.

reputnam503 02-13-2019 12:54 PM

Airstream A-frame jack fuses

Jacks are notorious for blowing fuses. Change the fuse out to an automatic resetting fuse of the same value (30A probably). Get the auto reset fuse at Napa. It has a bigger case so hope it will fit where you need to put it. Mine is in the line to the jack and there is no room problem. Sometimes, to get a better connection, you have to trim the edge of the fuse socket (outside, in-line fuse). I always protect the connection with a couple of wraps of electrical tape.

Silvertwinkie 02-13-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daleyocum (Post 2209520)
My brand new 2018 did the same thing. The dealer had to replace the jack. I eventually replaced the jack with a Husky anyway which is a far better, quieter, jack. I wouldn’t mess around with it.

+1 for the Husky, on my list when mine finally dies.

GCinSC2 02-13-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie (Post 2209572)
+1 for the Husky, on my list when mine finally dies.

Or do it on your terms, not a malfunctioning unit in the rain on a holiday at a full camp![emoji41]