Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   Bring the Harley with us (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/bring-the-harley-with-us-190255.html)

RManchester 12-13-2018 05:01 PM

Bring the Harley with us

How do you bring your Electra Glide with you, Van or Truck? Do you cover your motorcycle while in the bed of the truck? I have always enjoyed driving a truck but I think the idea of getting the big girl in and out of the lower van and the idea she is almost always protected from the elements is a good thing? We can always sell the AS and buy a S.O.B. toy hauler but we love our A.S. almost as much as Ginger. Any thoughts?

Mollysdad 12-13-2018 05:07 PM

I started with this exact dilemma, and ended up buying a motorhome and towed a covered trailer. For 10 years it was a great solution, until my riding buddy was no longer riding, and upkeep on a motorhome was too much. No regrets, but today the Airstream fits my needs better.
I've considered all the options, loading a bike in a truck bed is iffy, and although there are power loaders, they use up all your carrying capacity.
I'm convinced a van is the most practical solution. Get a package with enough power and carrying capacity for the job.

GMFL 12-13-2018 05:07 PM

Going to be tough to put that bike in the bed of that F150 and then pull that 25’ trailer. A 3/4 ton would be in order.

P.S. I’m not trying to be the 3/4 ton truck guy. It’s just the payload of that 150 will be beyond maxed.

uraljohn 12-13-2018 05:33 PM

Where to put that Harley

Go look at a Nissan 3500 van with the raised roof. I know a guy who has one and he hauls his BMW 1200 GS in it and pulls his 25' Airstream. Plenty of power, plenty of payload. Secure and out of the weather when towing. Vans are great tow vehicles when properly equipped. Nissan does not charge a crazy price either. Check it out. you may be surprised.

CRH 12-13-2018 05:34 PM

I have hauled mine in an 8ft bed with tailgate up and towed a trailer.

No cover. It flap and ruin the paint.

wildhorses 12-14-2018 09:11 AM

I have a Chevy Express 3500 and I can vouch that the van can handle it but the doors aren't tall enough (49") - so I have resolved myself to taking my 24' Enclosed trailer when I want to ride and the Airstream when I don't. I have been looking at the new Honda "Monkey" or Grom as street legal bikes that we could use to "get around" when we get someplace with the Airstream.

Acheron2010 12-14-2018 09:50 AM

I've seen several HDs in the bed of long pickups towing a trailer. Not sure how they get it down, or up, but they are out there.

switz 12-14-2018 10:29 AM

Hauling a Harley plus the tongue weight of a larger Airstream moves one into a one ton dually class to handle the load and have the stability to handle the increased center of gravity having a motorcycle that high in the air in the back of the truck.

Nightmare67 12-14-2018 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s how I do it. (Just ignore that road runner. He’s been following me for weeks)
Load-all ramp system. Long and short bed ramp designs.
Link to a video I made showing how it works. Fast, safe and easy.
https://youtu.be/zgrQhVTiDoU

uraljohn 12-14-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switz (Post 2190031)
Hauling a Harley plus the tongue weight of a larger Airstream moves one into a one ton dually class to handle the load and have the stability to handle the increased center of gravity having a motorcycle that high in the air in the back of the truck.

One more reason for checking out a NV3500 Nissan van. You can position the motorcycle further forward in the vehicle cargo area resulting in a more balanced load front to rear. A large bike like the Harley (approx. 900 LBS) directly over the rear axle of a pickup truck puts a pretty good dent into rear axle capacity. Throw in 900+ LBS of tongue weight and some travel stuff and it may be close to axle rating and total cargo capacity. Whatever vehicle you purchase pay close attention to listed axle and cargo capacity. Happy shopping!

75Bob 12-14-2018 11:39 AM

I carried my Road King in a 6 1/2 foot bed pulling a tiny camper to Sturgis. Had a aluminum 2 fold ramp to get the bike on. I have 4 wheel drive and would find a small hill to park the truck on so the ramp was horizontal and I drove it on. Do not try to cover the bike as the cover will probably destroy the paint job. I even took off the wind shield. You didn't say if you have a 8 foot bed. When the bike was on the truck, the tailgate had to stay down. Had a blast. But personally I'd be real careful about that much weight with a F-150 pulling an Airstream, I mean you and I both know your WAY over the weight recommendations of safe people. Maybe just stay away from any mountains, stay in the right lane and hope no one cuts you off. Oh yeah have good insurance and maybe even wear your helmet inside the truck lol

redhat200 12-14-2018 12:55 PM

Airstream did make a 33 or 34 foot trailer with a garage on it. I don’t know how many they made. But I saw one at an airstream dealership in Los Gatos many years ago 2010 or 11. It was awesome. And in mint condition. The folks that owned it wanted to downsize. It’s sold back then for $91,000. What a deal I understood that they made about 30 or 40 units of these Airstream‘s with a garages. And would fit two or three motorcycles. Put the word out and you might find one . Good luck to you. Hope you find one.

Taco Joe 12-14-2018 01:42 PM

Have you considered a front hitch.

There are some heavy duty racks that can handle a large bike. I'm considering putting on a double front receiver on my wife's RAM 2500 cummins diesel and bringing my beemer.

I have lots of experience towing with my dirt bike on the front rack and pulling a 2016 Flying Cloud 23FB on a 2016 Tacoma. Loading is really fast because the deck is at bumper level and the loading ramp is at a pretty shallow angle.

suncoasteng 12-14-2018 05:05 PM

Motorcycle

Too much work and too much weight. Let alone the potential for personal injury getting the bike out of the bed of a truck. Just take your bicycles for short trips, then rent a Harley when you get to a destination!