Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   Full Time Winterizing Thoughts (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/full-time-winterizing-thoughts-189733.html)

robertwarren 11-27-2018 11:58 AM

Full Time Winterizing Thoughts

Robyn and I are full timers currently at Raccoon Mountain RV Park outside Chattanooga, TN. We are expecting a low tonight of 27 F. Last night we put the thermostat on Zone 2 @ 70, Furnace and Auto Fan. We also disconnected the campground water at the faucet and drained the hose. We were comfortable. The temperature is expected to stay below freezing starting 6pm today for about 12-hours. The only other thing we plan to do is open all the inside doors when freezing outside. We have water in the water heater using the electric to keep it warm. Also, we do not use any water until it is not freezing outside. Given the above any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Lily&Me 11-27-2018 12:54 PM

You sound good to go, to me. :)

Maggie

Adventure.AS 11-27-2018 01:00 PM

Put an insulated skirt around the bottom of the trailer (there are plenty of commercial options) and put some heat lamps in there. You can also buy (or make) a heated water hose. Try some heat tracer cables around your waste tank valves and sewer hose.

uncle_bob 11-27-2018 02:59 PM

Hi

I'm not really sure that the "use no water until it's above freezing" part is needed. If anything, moving water through the pipes will reduce the chance of freezing.

Bob

robertwarren 11-27-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 2184188)
Hi

I'm not really sure that the "use no water until it's above freezing" part is needed. If anything, moving water through the pipes will reduce the chance of freezing.

Bob

I was concerned that the outside hose would freeze. However, I can connect it to Trinity through a Y and let one leg drip. Thank you for prompting me to rethink my thoughts!

robertwarren 11-27-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2184153)
You sound good to go, to me. :)

Maggie

Thank you

robertwarren 11-27-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 2184154)
Put an insulated skirt around the bottom of the trailer (there are plenty of commercial options) and put some heat lamps in there. You can also buy (or make) a heated water hose. Try some heat tracer cables around your waste tank valves and sewer hose.

Thank you

uncle_bob 11-28-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle_bob (Post 2184188)
Hi

Bob

Hi

..... ahhh.... the missing link - you fill the fresh water tank. Set up the way you are, it's not going to freeze.

Bob

Acheron2010 11-28-2018 06:56 AM

The only other things I am doing is using reflective insulation between the windows and shades, a Camco insulated insert over the fantastic fan, and carpet runners for the toes.

A W Warn 11-28-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertwarren (Post 2184138)
Robyn and I are full timers currently at Raccoon Mountain RV Park outside Chattanooga, TN. We are expecting a low tonight of 27 F. Last night we put the thermostat on Zone 2 @ 70, Furnace and Auto Fan. We also disconnected the campground water at the faucet and drained the hose. We were comfortable. The temperature is expected to stay below freezing starting 6pm today for about 12-hours. The only other thing we plan to do is open all the inside doors when freezing outside. We have water in the water heater using the electric to keep it warm. Also, we do not use any water until it is not freezing outside. Given the above any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Check the propane tanks, making sure one is 100% full.

Finding propane in the middle of the night is almost impossible!
(I'm telling you this because I've done it :blush:)

robertwarren 11-28-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A W Warn (Post 2184345)
Check the propane tanks, making sure one is 100% full.

Finding propane in the middle of the night is almost impossible!
(I'm telling you this because I've done it :blush:)

Thank you!

wsrb 11-28-2018 10:02 AM

We just spent two weeks in Wisconsin with freezing temperatures at night. The coldest down to 12 degrees. Keep the furnace running and all will be fine.

VT Wanderer 11-28-2018 10:28 AM

When, or if, you ever have the need to winterize, I have a detailed data base of how I winterize our 2014, 27ft., Flying Cloud. Works great for me living in northern VT. If you would like a copy, email me at: sgraner@aol.com

HHPJ 11-28-2018 10:53 AM

Since you are full timers, next season you should hang out here in the Palm Springs area... RV lots can be rented 450-600 a month here or if you are a Thousand Trails Elete member, there are three parks in the area stay three months!! 71 Degrees today