Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459/)
-   -   I built this so the snow blower driver guys can't hit my AS (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459/i-built-this-so-the-snow-blower-driver-guys-cant-hit-my-as-189667.html)

waninae39 11-25-2018 02:11 PM

I built this so the snow blower driver guys can't hit my AS
 
3 Attachment(s)
we got 12" of snow a week ago.
it rained yesterday .
today is was 7C

i built this today so that the guy that cleans the show on our driveway cant hit our As. It was so warm, i even painted it

no glue, that screws
that way, i can unbuild in spring

pteck 11-25-2018 02:15 PM

Hibernating for the winter.

OTRA15 11-25-2018 02:35 PM

Save you seen the posts about the damage that can occur from the cover chafing on the AS aluminum?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...nd-189608.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2182958)
Soft cover?
I would not recommend.
I tried a "soft" one on our 63' Safari and the results were not pretty.
Wind buffeting, and the cover freezing to the surface caused damage, scratches on the windward side, and blemishes where the cover had been frozen to the surface. It took 10yrs of 'patina' to remedy.

As far as weight on the roof...15 Bflo. Winters...no problem so far. ��
Still looking pretty good.��

Bob
����

See also:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...rt-185338.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=airs...=airforums.com

kpm 11-25-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2183540)
Save you seen the posts about the damage that can occur from the cover chafing on the AS aluminum?

Thanks OTRA15. I didn't want to say anything about the cover - it looks so neat and all.

OTOH my plow guy "nicked" the rock guard on our old 23D. 3 months for parts, a new rock guard, and a newly riveted corner panel later, I have a certain sympathy for anything that will keep snow guys away from an Airstream :huh:

ROBERT CROSS 11-25-2018 06:14 PM

Waterproof???
Moisture will...never mind. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

waninae39 11-25-2018 06:24 PM

The cover is from cal mark covers

they use the same material as the awning on your AS

they have sold 1000's of these cover to AS and other OEM owners

The only issues people have are with plastic tarps and other non-breathing covers

The cover is well make and is held down very snugly with straps and chords so that it does NOT flap in the wind. they build in nylon internal straps that wrap around the As. They also build in open straps through ringlets to snug underneath. They also give you the option to have a door. That is why my guard has an opening. There is a zippered door

IMHO, look as one first, before making a comment that all tarps are bad

i have no issue, and using one is far better than leaving my AS out in the elements all winter long

my 2 cents

RandyNH 11-26-2018 04:43 AM

1. I think I might have painted it neon orange.

2. I would mount reflective driveway markers on the corners at least.

A bump by the corner of the plow will leave a sharp single mark, that corner cutoff will leave a long crease, I would cut more clearance space between it and the trailer, he WILL hit it.

When he "bumps" the front corner and pushes the whole frame to the rear that angled 2x4 you have -in front of- the rear bumper will also more than likely impact and bend the bumper.

Just my observation/opinion, I like the idea though

ROBERT CROSS 11-26-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waninae39 (Post 2183592)
The cover is from cal mark covers

they use the same material as the awning on your AS

they have sold 1000's of these cover to AS and other OEM owners

The only issues people have are with plastic tarps and other non-breathing covers

The cover is well make and is held down very snugly with straps and chords so that it does NOT flap in the wind. they build in nylon internal straps that wrap around the As. They also build in open straps through ringlets to snug underneath. They also give you the option to have a door. That is why my guard has an opening. There is a zippered door

IMHO, look as one first, before making a comment that all tarps are bad

i have no issue, and using one is far better than leaving my AS out in the elements all winter long

my 2 cents

Awning material...well that won't harm anything.
No, it's not just plastic, ours wasn't and a lot of other folks here have had bad luck with covers of any type.
Moisture will get under it and it will freeze. They even describe the material as water 'resistant', I know because I have a Sunbrella cover on our boat, the difference being gelcoat is much more durable than the AS clear coat.
http://i67.tinypic.com/22hvti.jpg

Have you asked cal-mark if they will guarantee no damage thru an Ontario Winter?
I just sent them an email...I'll retract all my concerns if there is such a guarantee.

Sweet Streams👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Adventure.AS 11-26-2018 06:50 AM

From the first photo the cover makes it look like you have panoramic window with rock guards in the rear of your 22' Sport. Most 22s that I have seen only have one window on the rear in the bathroom.

Kanusport 11-26-2018 07:37 AM

Looks like a good solution to me. I can tell you this, I get tired of other people breaking my stuff that’s for sure.

CRH 11-26-2018 07:50 AM

I am the snowblower guy at my house.

JCWDCW 11-26-2018 09:37 AM

The guards keep the machine away...but I've had windows in the car broken by unthinking operators who can't control the snow chute discharge direction!
JCW

eva52 11-26-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waninae39 (Post 2183529)
we got 12" of snow a week ago.
it rained yesterday .
today is was 7C

i built this today so that the guy that cleans the show on our driveway cant hit our As. It was so warm, i even painted it

no glue, that screws
that way, i can unbuild in spring

Great job. I cover my AS and have no problems with it. One has to follow the directions and install correctly. :)

WestieHouse 11-26-2018 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This sky cover works well during northern winters. Not so certain in summer hurricane season.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.