Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Turning Off Solar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/turning-off-solar-189661.html)

Rounder44 11-25-2018 02:43 PM

Turning Off Solar

Howdy,

Is just flipping the breakers the easiest/best way to disable solar panels?

I'm replacing my converter today and have batteries and shore power disconnected but wonder if I have to disable solar to be safe? Or is charge minimal enough to not harm anything?

Bright sunny Arizona day so solar should be pumping full charge!

Thanks,

Rounder44

aka

Warren

lewster 11-25-2018 04:10 PM

Hi Warren,

That depends on whose panels you have. If they are Airstream stock panels, I don't believe that you have any switches or breakers in their system. If you have a different system, I would definitely move the breaker/switch to the OFF position before you start your project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rounder44 (Post 2183521)
Howdy,

Is just flipping the breakers the easiest/best way to disable solar panels?

I'm replacing my converter today and have batteries and shore power disconnected but wonder if I have to disable solar to be safe? Or is charge minimal enough to not harm anything?

Bright sunny Arizona day so solar should be pumping full charge!

Thanks,

Rounder44

aka

Warren

uncle_bob 11-25-2018 06:22 PM

Hi

You disable most stock AS solar installs by pulling the fuse in the 10 ga wire coming down from the roof. In some cases it's behind an AC vent.

Bob

GOUSC 11-25-2018 07:42 PM

Could you just put blankets over the solar panels so the sun couldn't activate the panels?

waninae39 11-25-2018 07:46 PM

i installed a cutoff switch , just like the DC cut off.

that way i can work on the electronics and MPPT controller without any solar power coming in

i also shut it off for the winter when the AS is covered.

GOUSC 11-26-2018 09:51 AM

I am planning on replacing my converter as well, similar to Rounder44, except mine will be on a 2018 27 Globetrotter. A person I know did the same thing on his Globetrotter. He isolated the battery from the TT similar to Rounder44 and was unaware of the solar still working when the battery was in the Store position and batteries disconnected. He did not have any issues but was careful to make sure no bare wires touched anything they should not touch.

I would like to disconnect the solar as well, if possible, as an extra safety step. If anyone is aware of where this is done, I would appreciate it. i.e. a) if the fuse is behind an AC vent, then which vent and b) if a cut off switch was installed then where did you install the cut off switch and what kind of switch was used.

I will admit that electricity is not one of my strongest points but I can follow directions if they are spelled out for me. In the case of my GT, I have removed the breaker / fuse panel to see the location of converter and wiring. It looks to me the converter has an basic electric plug into the back of the breaker panel and that there is a Positive / negative and ground wire going into the converter from the fuse panel. It appears to me the that if I can not locate the fuse for the solar I need to;

1. Put the battery button in the Store position

2. Isolate the batteries from the TT by disconnecting the positive and negative batterie cables going to the TT and protect them from connecting to anything else while they are loose.

3. Unplug the converters electric plug from the back of the breaker panel.

4. Disconnect the positive / negative / ground wires from the old converter and don't let them touch anything else.

5. Plug the new converter into the back of the breaker panel.

6. Connect the positive / negative / ground wires to the new converter

Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks!