Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   Store/use switch not working (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/store-use-switch-not-working-189458.html)

Pencilpusher 11-17-2018 12:46 PM

Store/use switch not working

I just replaced my Group 24 Interstates with lithium batteries and added a battery disconnect switch. I also replaced the stock converter with a Progressive Dynamics 9160L for lithium batteries, as recommended by Battle Born.

Once I completed my installation and powered up the trailer, the store/use switch does not work either when plugged into shore power or disconnected from shore power. The switch will not click in either direction and the light on the panel is not illuminated.

My batteries are fully charged and everything in the trailer has power except the store/use switch. It appears this switch is stuck in the use mode. After reading other threads on the forum I suspect my problem may be the fuses on the relay switch are blown. have looked for the the relay switch to check the 5 amp fuses but have been unable to it on my 2018 27' International FB. I have looked under the bed, by the inverter, in the 12VDC distribution box to no avail.

Any other ideas where the relay switch might be or why switch is stuck?

Thanks,

Eric

Jim Flower 11-17-2018 01:10 PM

I am only guessing. Mine is on the front wall about 8Ē off the floor. So check under the bed again In a place that is difficult to see and hard to get to.

rmkrum 11-17-2018 01:46 PM

In our rig, the fuses and use/store relay are mounted under the bed, all the way forward on the interior skin. Takes crawling under the bed to get to it after taking everything out of the storage area. Itís a huge pain to get to, and itís dark and cramped under there.

Pencilpusher 11-17-2018 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed the entire bed top as I placed my new batteries there. The front right of the trailer has the inverter and the 12VDC distribution box. Nothing else there. See picture attached.Attachment 328069

SteveSueMac 11-17-2018 03:29 PM

Odd. In mine - a 2012 27FB Flying Cloud - the relay is located exactly where your new lithiums are. Any chance the relay was removed/disconnected while installing the new batts?

Pencilpusher 11-17-2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSueMac (Post 2181076)
Odd. In mine - a 2012 27FB Flying Cloud - the relay is located exactly where your new lithiums are. Any chance the relay was removed/disconnected while installing the new batts?

The picture you see is exactly what was under the bed. Nothing was removed from under the bed. It seems Airstream moves the relay around in any given model year.

DTCOnyx 11-18-2018 11:52 AM

Stupid questions here... Are you on our off of shore power? Do you have the same problem either way?

SteveSueMac 11-18-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTCOnyx (Post 2181364)
Stupid questions here... Are you on our off of shore power? Do you have the same problem either way?

In the original post itís mentioned that the problem exists whether on shore power or not.

This is puzzling. Where the heck is the relay? Could someone with the same year/make trailer flip theirs off/on and tell us where the relay sounds like itís located based on the click?

Alternatively - is there a wiring diagram somewhere?

Dang!

Caffeinated 11-18-2018 01:09 PM

I think you can call customer service at AS and they can take your vin and then tell you where it is. It may take some telephone tag, but they will figure it out.

Mike

Pencilpusher 11-18-2018 02:05 PM

I have the wiring diagram from my owners manual that shows the relay in the schematic. But the schematic does not show the actual location of the relay. I am going to call Jackson Center on Monday. They are usually quite helpful on these type issues.

Eric

87gn 11-18-2018 09:07 PM

under the road side bed platform, all the way forward is a small panel with 4 screws. My 2013 27fb classic has inverter , solenoid and misc. wiring in that compartment.

OTRA15 11-19-2018 03:38 AM

The Use/Store switch might be defective? It happens:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Use+...com&gws_rd=ssl

Good luck,

Peter

sheriff1 11-19-2018 10:04 AM

The connectors right at my use-store switch weíre corroded, created the same symptom. You couldnít see it until you pulled the connectors off of the terminals.

ROBERT CROSS 11-19-2018 12:33 PM

Another stupid question...

1 Attachment(s)
Why a relay on the use/store switch...is the actual switch in another location? If so maybe ck the switch.

FWIW...ours is wired directly to the battery.

Bob
🇺🇸