Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Rock Guard Gasket repair (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/rock-guard-gasket-repair-187500.html)

ChrisnPatty 09-24-2018 12:22 PM

Rock Guard Gasket repair

1 Attachment(s)
I've searched the forums and not found this question addressed. While doing my annual cleaning behind the rock guards on my 22FB, I found the gaskets that retain the plastic window separating from the frame as seen in the picture. The gasket is stretched, so it's tendency is to pull out of the frame. It does not re-seat and stay in place.

Options I see for repair are:
1. Glue or adhesive,
2. Crimp the frame slightly to make a tighter seal, or
3. Jamb something else in with the gasket to increase its bulk.

I'm inclined to option #3. Is there a correct way to repair this gasket?

Thanks

sheriff1 09-24-2018 12:40 PM

Ace hardware has “spline”, just cut the offending area, push back into place and fill the gap with new spline. It takes a large size.

ROBERT CROSS 09-24-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty (Post 2160457)
I've searched the forums and not found this question addressed. While doing my annual cleaning behind the rock guards on my 22FB, I found the gaskets that retain the plastic window separating from the frame as seen in the picture. The gasket is stretched, so it's tendency is to pull out of the frame. It does not re-seat and stay in place.

Options I see for repair are:
1. Glue or adhesive,
2. Crimp the frame slightly to make a tighter seal, or
3. Jamb something else in with the gasket to increase its bulk.

I'm inclined to option #3. Is there a correct way to repair this gasket?

Thanks

If not torn...I have cleaned well with Breakleen and secured with this.

Bob
🇺🇸

sheriff1 09-24-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 2160471)
If not torn...I have cleaned well with Breakleen and secured with this.

Bob

[emoji631]

I’m pretty sure we are talking about two different things, the picture shows the spline has shrunk and pulled out of its groove, I think you are talking about the rubber gasket that mates to the trailer. The correct fix for the spline issue doesn’t involve glue.

ChrisnPatty 09-24-2018 02:01 PM

Yes, I am talking about the spline. Two great suggestions. I'll likely give the Ace Hardware suggestion the first shot. Appreciate the help!

sheriff1 09-24-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisnPatty (Post 2160499)
Yes, I am talking about the spline. Two great suggestions. I'll likely give the Ace Hardware suggestion the first shot. Appreciate the help!

Cut a piece off of the existing as a sample, it comes in lots of sizes.

ROBERT CROSS 09-24-2018 03:03 PM

Most always pulls out at the corners...👎

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriff1 (Post 2160474)
I’m pretty sure we are talking about two different things, the picture shows the spline has shrunk and pulled out of its groove, I think you are talking about the rubber gasket that mates to the trailer. The correct fix for the spline issue doesn’t involve glue.

Nope, talk'n bout the plexiglass ... the 'gasket' stretches when forced into the corners, the tension pulls it out. I've replaced with new once w/o the 3m, it came out again in 6mos. 😳

Bob
🇺🇸

Wayne&Sam 09-24-2018 03:57 PM

Just cut it and push back into position. A small gap won't matter. If it bothers you, fill it in with another piece of spline.

Ray Eklund 09-25-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam (Post 2160563)
Just cut it and push back into position. A small gap won't matter. If it bothers you, fill it in with another piece of spline.

Works great.

Take some time to look at the interior cabinet trim gaskets if you want to wonder why trimmed two, three... or more inches too short? If yours are not short... you are already a lucky owner!

I will not tell anyone you have been 'shorted by an inch or so' of cord, holding your side window plastics in place.

My 2006 23 foot Safari FRONT rock guard window gasket cord shrunk. Cut it and gently stuffed it back, snug. You may find that there is very little shrinkage to replace. The cord on ours had ribbing. Just avoid twisting it and the cord will push in better. If you want perfection... prepare yourself for disappointment. It may shrink on the other side, sooner than later. Ours did not, but you may have had your cord stretched an extra inch or two when cut... too short... at the factory to fit.

I suggest make the cut higher up on the side. Water runs DOWN, so the lower curve is important and the bottom edge. When we took the trailer into Jackson Center for Warranty Work... I mentioned what a POSnuttle that year's front window guard was with the minimal frame and the later models had a total metal frame support. ....crickets in the distance was my answer.

Our 2014, better supported FRONT window plastic developed the wavy plastic, as it is so thin. The Sun will do this without your help. The curved tinted plastics hold up very well.

If you get a 'star fracture' of your front window plastic, do not waste money to replace the entire plastic. It will probably occur more often, if you do. Take a short section of clear 3M packing tape, cut a bit larger than the 'star fracture', and carefully cover the fracture, from the backside. Will hold up for years.

Free bird 09-26-2018 06:12 PM

Thanks for bringing up the subject. Mine are in stretched position too.
I am going to try Ray's suggestion 1st.:bb:

bweybright 09-26-2018 06:56 PM

To clarify for some folks. The spline being talked about would be found in the screen replacement section of Ace, or what ever hardware store you might frequent.
If memory serves me correctly there may be a choice between ribbed or smooth. Not sure which would be better in this application