Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/)
-   -   Alternative to zolotone (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/alternative-to-zolotone-18621.html)

Ken J 10-06-2005 01:04 PM

Alternative to zolotone

Just talking to a friend of mine about zolotone - he said what they used to do is take a stiff broom, dip it in paint move their hand over the tip of the broom to "flick" the paint (specks) onto the wall.

This sounds like a really great idea - what do you all think?

Ken J

Buttercup 10-06-2005 01:34 PM

It sounds like a horrable mess. I would just go with a can of fleckstone.

Of course if you are one who likes to play in the mud - maybe this is a good thing!:D

InsideOut 10-06-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken J
Just talking to a friend of mine about zolotone - he said what they used to do is take a stiff broom, dip it in paint move their hand over the tip of the broom to "flick" the paint (specks) onto the wall.

This sounds like a really great idea - what do you all think?

Ken J

The biggest difference is that the Zolatone that Airstream used is an Epoxy-type paint. The process you describe would probably be done with a latex...which isn't as durable. The look could be 'fun', but the adherence would only be as good as the prep-work & latex to aluminum could be.

If it were me, and I was in a stripped mode that I think you are...I would go the extra little effort to use the Zolotone. I certainly wouldn't want to have to redo it anytime soon...our Zolatone is over 40 years old and still hanging in there...I've never heard of latex looking good after 40 years ~

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari :flowers:

Ken J 10-07-2005 09:23 AM

I agree that latex is not nearly as durable.

I've looked into using Zolotone, but the equipment required and if I screw it up it will be very expensive - and as I've looked around I have not found anyone who will shoot it for me - so I'm left with the latex route.

I thought this might be a good alternative to getting a zolotone type appreance by someone (like me) who does not have the equipment to apply zolotone.

Ken J.

Inland RV Center, In 10-07-2005 09:33 AM

Zolotone spraying secrets.

The equipment required to spray Zolotone, is cheaper than a spray gun.

Find someone that sells bulk undercoating in quarts. Buy one quart. Empty the undercoating into a paint can and clean out the plastic bottle. They will also have the cheap spray gun. Use the spray gun with the plastic bottle.

The secret, however, is you must crimp the spray gun tube to a very small size. Even at very low air pressure that gun sucks material "FAST". Crimping it slows the flow considerably.

Zolotone must not be placed in a paint shaker. To do so will break the capsules of different colored paints and you will wind up with one color. You can stir Zolotone with a stir stick, gently "AND SLOWLY".

Andy

yukionna 10-08-2005 05:40 AM

Zolatone is still in business and off additional product application lines (i.e., airless). Here is their website: www.zolatone.com