Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/)
-   -   Post editing (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/post-editing-186104.html)

JJTX 08-24-2018 06:19 AM

Post editing

Why do you guys remove the ability to edit posts like 5 minutes after they are posted?

This is really frustrating. Especially when I go back and look at a post I made 10 minutes ago, and notice a glaring spelling error and now I cant fix it.

Lily&Me 08-24-2018 06:46 AM

You can edit a post for I believe 30 minutes, as long as the edit button is visible.

Maggie

JJTX 08-24-2018 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2146919)
You can edit a post for I believe 30 minutes, as long as the edit button is visible.

Maggie

This is extremely frustrating and an unnecessary restriction here.

Lily&Me 08-24-2018 06:56 AM

Iím sure thereís a reason, and may have to do with replies from others that may suffer contextual change if a post were allowed to be modified indefinitely.

I try to preview my posts to check for misspellings and other errors before I hit submit.

Maggie

OTRA15 08-24-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily&Me (Post 2146925)
I’m sure there’s a reason, and may have to do with replies from others that may suffer contextual change if a post were allowed to be modified indefinitely.
. . .

^^^^ x2

Other forums have very long edit windows, and it really complicates things IMO, because later comments can become nonsense if the OP changes his or her post substantially.

Say it once, double check for errors, and move on IMO. No prob.

Peter

ROBERT CROSS 08-24-2018 09:20 AM

Imo...

Unlimited editing just gives more opportunity to make others appear foolish. 😂
I don't need any help being foolish.😳

Bob
🇺🇸

azflycaster 08-24-2018 10:41 AM

Staff members can assist if you need an edit.

DKB_SATX 08-24-2018 11:07 AM

The edit window is 15 minutes. If there is a serious problem with a post, moderators have the ability to edit after that but as a general rule don't edit posts without good reason. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the main reason is that after others read and reply to posts it can be very confusing if the original post has a material change.

JJTX 08-24-2018 12:22 PM

Long term posts and threads locked makes sense. But 15 minutes. No.

A week would be logical based on the fears of thread-tampering here.

Example;

If someone replies to a thread, its almost always quoted as it was originally posted.

So if someone edits it after the fact, the original will always still be there in the quote. So I dont see the problem in the short term.

If someone edits their original post and theres no replies, it's irrelevant to the fears posted so far in response to my question. If there arent any replies yet, theres no confusion =)

OTRA15 08-24-2018 01:56 PM

Thank you for clarifying things. These guidelines are easy to live with IMO. If anyone feels the need to edit a post after it is locked, he or she can easily quote the first post, and update/edit it.

Have a good weekend.

Peter

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster (Post 2147019)
Staff members can assist if you need an edit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 2147031)
The edit window is 15 minutes. If there is a serious problem with a post, moderators have the ability to edit after that but as a general rule don't edit posts without good reason. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the main reason is that after others read and reply to posts it can be very confusing if the original post has a material change.

Native143 03-13-2019 09:02 AM

Upside down photos

Why are photos upside down? How do I fix it before/after posting. Thanks.

Lily&Me 03-13-2019 09:37 AM

If you use the edit function in your photos to crop them down in size a bit, they should post correctly.

If they post incorrectly, you have to go in and delete them to repost.

You have about 10 minutes after a posting to use the edit function.

Maggie

DKB_SATX 03-13-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native143 (Post 2219495)
Why are photos upside down? How do I fix it before/after posting. Thanks.

The reason there are weird orientation issues with photos is that half the universe uses an iPhone, and Apple and Apache disagree on how to handle image orientation. Instead of actually rotating the image, Apple uses a metadata tag that says "rotate 90 deg" or "rotate 180 deg" when you hold your iPhone in a non-default position when you take the picture (eg sideways or you're left-handed, etc.) Android phones and real cameras actually present the image as it's saved, iThings use the rotation tag, Apache web servers present the images as it's saved.

Hittenstiehl 03-13-2019 11:26 AM

Dkb thank you for that easy to understand explanation.

I knew to tell people to slightly resize your photos. I didn't know what the reason was besides that all the systems don't play well together.