Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Selling Airstream and scams??? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/selling-airstream-and-scams-184321.html)

GOGOGIRL 07-15-2018 09:16 AM

Selling Airstream and scams???

Has anyone else been contacted by buyers and it seems like a scam? Thanks.

overlander63 07-15-2018 09:17 AM

It's a constant thing with nearly everything you try to sell online.

Isuzusweet 07-15-2018 09:36 AM

If someone is willing to buy your trailer, (or anything else for that matter), sight unseen, and offering to pay you exactly what you want for it........it's a scam; stop all contact right there. These scammers prey upon peoples greed, (this loser is going to pay me full pop for my trailer that isn't worth that much)......the only loser in this deal, is you. These scammers are pro's at appealing to your greed.

They will send you a "certified cheque" for the full amount PLUS an amount for you to send to a "shipping company" after you deposit the cheque. The scammers will try and get you to send the money to the "shipping company" as fast as possible and will give you a huge song and dance story to get you to do that. If you send the funds to the "shipping company", that money is gone. The original "certified cheque" will bounce two weeks later; that's why the rush to get you to send the money.

They don't want what you're trying to sell.....they only want the shipping money.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

overlander63 07-15-2018 09:39 AM

And if you get a text message telling you to respond using your email, don't do it.

uncle_bob 07-15-2018 09:48 AM

Hi

This sort of thing goes on with Craig's List, eBay, and every other "for sale" site on the internet. Scam's come up on both ends of the deal ( buyer scams and seller scams ). There is never a way to be 100% sure this or that is legit. There are a *lot* of ways to tell if it's a fraud.

It's not even restricted to buy/sell sites. I just got into a "conversation" with a family friend. The bottom line was that it was *not* with her. It was with somebody who had hacked her account. The next step was to see if they could mess with me.

Bob

turk123 07-15-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isuzusweet (Post 2128720)
If someone is willing to buy your trailer, (or anything else for that matter), sight unseen, and offering to pay you exactly what you want for it........it's a scam; stop all contact right there. These scammers prey upon peoples greed, (this loser is going to pay me full pop for my trailer that isn't worth that much)......the only loser in this deal, is you. These scammers are pro's at appealing to your greed.

They will send you a "certified cheque" for the full amount PLUS an amount for you to send to a "shipping company" after you deposit the cheque. The scammers will try and get you to send the money to the "shipping company" as fast as possible and will give you a huge song and dance story to get you to do that. If you send the funds to the "shipping company", that money is gone. The original "certified cheque" will bounce two weeks later; that's why the rush to get you to send the money.

They don't want what you're trying to sell.....they only want the shipping money.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Yep! That happened to me here in the classifieds last week. The buyer in a hurry, buying sight unseen for full price and wants to use a shipping company. Contacted me as a text. The phone was from LA, she said she was from the east coast. They don't even try to be creative anymore.

Mansderm161 10-28-2018 05:13 PM

Just say "I only deal in cash at a bank with both of us present!" You won't hear from them again, or put it in your ad and you won't hear from them at all.

uncle_bob 10-29-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansderm161 (Post 2173346)
Just say "I only deal in cash at a bank with both of us present!" You won't hear from them again, or put it in your ad and you won't hear from them at all.

Hi

.... you are assuming they can read .... :)

Bob

Mansderm161 10-29-2018 12:11 PM

LOL...YES, I'm assuming they can read!