Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   The Pet Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239/)
-   -   Large dogs vs soft buttery leather (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239/large-dogs-vs-soft-buttery-leather-183386.html)

shadesohippy 06-24-2018 08:50 PM

Large dogs vs soft buttery leather

Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?

tjdonahoe 06-24-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesohippy (Post 2119559)
Hi all,
The Airstreams we've been looking at have this amazingly soft leather on all the cushions. I can't wait to lounge atop these buttery soft cushions, coffee in hand gazing out at amazing vistas through wrap around windows.

We have two large dogs, I know AS says these are durable, but probably not against 200lbs of dog durable. With limited space I don't know how logical the "No dogs on the couch rule is" besides, I like to cuddle my dogs. How do you protect your seats? Throw blankets over everything? How durable is the upholstery really?

....our bc stays down...I believe his nails could ruin the cushions..:D

SeeMore 06-24-2018 11:04 PM

Our Great Danes (165 ea) usually lounge on the floor but there are occasions during cold winter nights when 'couch use' is authorized. We have Ultra-Leather and it has never been damaged but for safety sake we bought a large roll of cotton, blue jean weight material (3 yards of 60" wide) to drape over the couch surface. I sewed two inch wide hook & loop tape to one side of the cotton drape and it's mate along the upper backside of the couch. The drape stays put despite two wiggling/repositioning bodies through the night.

rowiebowie 06-24-2018 11:40 PM

I think for my own peace of mind I'd invest in a pet seat cover. Many can be found on EBay & Amazon. But be aware most are a "universal" size and fall a little short in width for the rear area. This may explain why some make their own protective covers.

Our 80 lb dog for example, would never chew or intentionally damage anything. But his mild separation anxiety causes him to climb into the front seats if we leave him for even a few minutes. He's just trying to see where we are, but we put covers on the front seats too just so he doesn't dig a nail into the ultraleather.

Lily&Me 06-25-2018 04:24 AM

The ultra leather is actually very durable, but I would cover where you are going to allow the dogs to lay, as they will over time create wear spots if they tend to go to favorite spots.

Maggie

smithcreek 06-25-2018 06:54 AM

Right now we are down to one 80 lb. boxer. We have home rules where all furniture is dog friendly and he sleeps in our bed, and Airstream rules where he doesn't because I don't want to damage the ultra-leather and the bed is too small to join us!

I felt guilty the first couple of trips because he's a pro at giving the sad look when he doesn't get what he wants. But I stuck it out and once he realized the new rules weren't going to change is totally happy sleeping in his dog bed on the floor.

shadesohippy 06-25-2018 08:14 AM

You guys confirmed what I was thinking. I saw another thread where someone mentioned moving blankets too. I wasn't excited about the cream colored ultra leather, until I felt it! Oh my goodness its so soft, but two Rottweilers on guard looking out the windows would be a mess I fear.
The dogs are a concern due to logistics, but we'd never consider extended traveling without them!

Kyet 06-25-2018 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a fuzzy blanket folded in half and tucked into the back and sides of the sofa so it looks tidy. There is no way my dogs would sleep on the floor and this is just more comfortable for all of us. Looks a little congested in here but that's because when we are the move the cooler and dog bed (for outdoors) stays near the wall. Sometimes 1 of the pups will move over to that.

rmkrum 06-25-2018 10:36 AM

Our mob of 4 smallish (all rescues) pups travel in their personal crates, and sleep in the AS the same way. True, they love to sneak up on the bed in the Airstream, but they know they are pushing it...and the bed is made up to resist dog hair and their occasional muddy feet when we are not sleeping. They travel with us all the time--wouldn't have it any other way.

We also use fleece blankets designed for dog use--they cover the dinette seats when we travel, and cover the leather couches at home. Our pups are absolute lap magnets, so keeping them off the furniture is a loosing battle.

In the tow vehicle, we use a dog hammock, which is a big piece of canvas with a waterproof backing. It has straps that go around the back seat headrests, a zipper in the front so it can be 'split' to allow one rear seat passenger, and another set of straps to go around the front headrests. We put at least one medium dog crate on the back seat for the three smaller 12 pound dogs, and the 22 pound dog has a chest harness that ties to a seat belt to restrain him for safety. The Dog hammock came from PetSmart. Don't recall the brand. It appears to resist dog claws well...it happens to be a gray color that goes nicely with our TV interior...

uncle_bob 06-25-2018 11:13 AM

Hi

Not sure about only two large dogs, but with three large dogs :) there seems to be no problems so far. The only issue really is that there is not enough room for them to all "sneak" onto the recliners at one time. How do I know that's what happens? Be real quiet when you come back to the trailer, or check late at night ....

The leather really isn't leather. It's some sort of urethane based "stuff". They do an amazing job of making you *think* it's leather.

Bob

kerry westco 06-25-2018 12:18 PM

Large dog versus soft buttery leather? Relieved that you are not considering covering your cushions in large dog leather. Although, my standard poodle discovered the fun stuff inside cushions and ripped apart a sofa love seat and chair covered in ''bonded leather'', so I briefly considered it myself. I glued (carpet glue) real leather patches over the bogus ''bonded leather''. Buddy was two at the time and hasn't done anything so destructive since. The patches have held for 3 years now.

intyme13 06-25-2018 12:36 PM

Greetings, we also travel with two great danes who like to "lounge" on the twin beds and gaze out the windows most of the time :)

greenflag 06-25-2018 01:15 PM

Ultra leather is extremely durable. My previous Airstream also had it. I used a couple of bath rugs with no skid back to cover the spot where our border collie liked to sit. We have since abandon their use as not needed. Our 20 pound cockapoo was digging on it a while ago. We stopped him immediately. His claws failed to mar the leather which is actually a high quality vinyl.

Rgentum 06-25-2018 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
30,000+ miles later, here's BigDog on his fuzzy blanket couch, next to the TV:

rmkrum 06-25-2018 05:17 PM

Beautiful Dane---My son has one that looks similar, and is the same size--"Titus" thinks he's a lap doggie...he will carefully sneak into your lap when you are not looking, given a chance! :lol:

Joannadannna 06-25-2018 05:25 PM

Rgentum now thatís a long stretch of dog, beautiful!

As far as protecting pseudo leather, I purchased one of those pet sofa covers which are waterproof and pooch proof. I split it in half and seamed up the ends to make 2 very protective lounge covers. They donít bunch up because of the thin rubber backing. Purchased at Target for $30.

MontyV 06-25-2018 05:27 PM

we put a moving blanket down before dogs go on leather

sjo 06-25-2018 08:00 PM

Went bare bones

I have a 65 pound briard that is everywhere I am, sofa included. I first covered it with a grippy sofa cover but soon got sick of it, went bare bones, and held my breath. We camped for 3 months while she did her normal everyday thing, jumping on the sofa at every passing dog, wanting to see where I went, take a nap....but there wasnít so much as a scratch.

rmkrum 06-25-2018 08:05 PM

I have a 12 pound Pomeranian Chihuahua mix that leaps and dances all over our leather couches at home, pushes under the dog blankets to make a nest when itís cold in the house. He thinks itís great fun. No obvious damage so far. Dunno how he does it.

jayseejay 06-25-2018 10:30 PM

I recently recovered our Eddie Bauer cushions with Ultraleather. With some extra UL material, I did some durability testing, aggressively dragging car keys and other sharpish things on it - no damage. I also let ketchup, mayo, chocolate sauce, sunscreen and baby oil sit on it overnight. All of it wiped off without a stain. I donít worry about our cushions anymore. [emoji16]