Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   MSRP Discount (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/msrp-discount-183039.html)

Coolio 06-17-2018 03:12 PM

MSRP Discount

We're looking at getting a new Flying Cloud 28 twin and willing to travel for the right price. I read that a 20%+ discount should be pretty easy. The best deal that I can find is 17% off on a new 2019 order through RVOne in Iowa.

Any advice on recommended dealers would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

GMFL 06-17-2018 03:51 PM

Money talks. If you are sitting at the dealer 20% should be easier to get. No one wants to see you walk. An in stock model also is a good idea.

Rivet Rocket 06-17-2018 03:54 PM

Having bought 2 new, here is my experience. If you can find a new '18 you might get 20% off. For an ordered '19 to your spec 17% off is a deal I'd do all day. Iowa is a long way from Colorado, so some additional cost to pick-up and return to CO.

Bought my 22 off the lot from a local dealer, 19% off. The 26 was ordered from same dealer, 17% off with a good value for my trade in. (Did not want the trouble of a private sale, too many hurdles to mess with.)

Did shop the big dealers, on-line, via e-mail and phone. All very responsive and up front on pricing, but when I crunched the numbers the local dealer won my business. Service has been stellar and no long waits for an appointment. (As an aside both units have been problem free with a couple of minor warranty issues, all resolved the first time in 1 day.)

This is just my experience, only 1 data point, so take it for what it is worth.

Too tall 06-17-2018 04:12 PM

Pick up the phone and talk to Patrick at Colonial. I had no intention of buying new and his offer changed that storyline.

Dmmdtm 06-22-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolio (Post 2116299)
We're looking at getting a new Flying Cloud 28 twin and willing to travel for the right price. I read that a 20%+ discount should be pretty easy. The best deal that I can find is 17% off on a new 2019 order through RVOne in Iowa.

Any advice on recommended dealers would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

So I priced our globetrotter from coast to coast using the airstream dealer list. The lowest was RV One but we went with Reliable RV in Springfield MO (Chris). Read the reviews (from purchasers and not service) and liked what we read. Neither the local dealer nor those in the NW (who claim to sell over 30% of all AS) could/would come within $5k. I was willing to pay a premium equal to $1.50 per mile travel saved. We pick our 2019 up in Sept.

gsp 06-22-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too tall (Post 2116327)
Pick up the phone and talk to Patrick at Colonial. I had no intention of buying new and his offer changed that storyline.

Their walkthroughs are the best out there on YouTube

Mollysdad 06-22-2018 10:55 PM

Mine was on the dealer's lot, and had everything I wanted, except the color of the ultra leather. It had my second choice.
I got 22% off.
An advantage to buying off the lot is you can see how it's put together, leaks, fit of doors etc.

Coolio 06-26-2018 09:15 AM

Well, I ended up with 20.5% off a 2019 25FB Twin Signature order from RV One in Iowa. I figured it was a very good deal considering it’s almost July.

The only option we selected was solar. I hope we don’t regret not going aftermarket.

Thanks to everyone on your advice!

texasvette 07-20-2018 08:21 PM

I have a question about discounts for a used Airstream on a RV lot. They have all kinds of RV's and maybe 4 Airstreams. Can you still expect some kind of discount on the used units and if the answer is yes, how much is a reasonable amount? Hoping to use any advise very quickly, maybe within the next 3 days. This no doubt has been discussed before and I apologize for a repeat question but I want to be prepared to get a fair price if possible. Thanks!

uncle_bob 07-20-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasvette (Post 2131691)
I have a question about discounts for a used Airstream on a RV lot. They have all kinds of RV's and maybe 4 Airstreams. Can you still expect some kind of discount on the used units and if the answer is yes, how much is a reasonable amount? Hoping to use any advise very quickly, maybe within the next 3 days. This no doubt has been discussed before and I apologize for a repeat question but I want to be prepared to get a fair price if possible. Thanks!

Hi

Since there is no real fixed price on a used Airstream, you might get any discount you could imagine. I've seen used ones that are a couple years old listed for more than they sold for brand new. A few have been listed for more than their original MSRP. My *guess* is that you can get a pretty good discount off a listing like that. Other deals seem to go down at the listing price. There are reports of bidding wars on some listings ... those go for more than the asking price ....

Consider that condition and wear and tear can have a major impact on selling price. There are no standards on this stuff either. One guy's "absolutely perfect" may be somebody else's "needs work". New tires / new batteries cost money. When were they last replaced? Lots of variables on the "same" model / year trailer.

So .... it's very much a "that depends" sort of thing. Do your research and figure out what makes sense on this or that year / model. Find one at or near that price. Make an offer at 10% off the "makes sense" price and see what happens.

Bob

brick1 07-20-2018 08:48 PM

Time of year impacts a dealers willingness to discount. As the 2019’s just came out, expect less of a discount. You can probably get a great deal on any 2018 sitting on a dealers lot - if you can find one...
brick

AFTER TAXES 07-20-2018 10:06 PM

following the BRICK..........

Acheron2010 07-21-2018 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too tall (Post 2116327)

Exactly my experience. Worth the drive from anywhere in the country.

uncle_bob 07-21-2018 08:03 AM

Hi

Regardless of model year change over, this is "high season" for selling RV's. Everybody is still out and camping (let's get something bigger). Maybe they itching to go camping. That makes this a tough time to get a deal.

Come January / February (in snow country) and things will be different. If there are any 2018's still around, there will likely be a factory discount out on them on top of the seasonal swings. (does factory discount count separate from dealer discount? Do people lump them together? Any bets?)

Also consider that we rarely get to see the paperwork on any of these new trailer deals. Some people are a bit math challenged (20.1% is "about 30%"). Others seem to be ignoring the $15,000 in "forever and ever warranty (with limitations)" and $8,000 for "super duper ultra shiny wax job" that was on the bill they paid.

Lots of variables and lots of ways to look at this and that.

Bob

Cpavette 09-18-2018 07:47 AM

Do you have her number and location?