Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/)
-   -   A/C condensate running off the roof... NOT out of the drain tube (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/a-c-condensate-running-off-the-roof-not-out-of-the-drain-tube-182389.html)

RFP 06-02-2018 11:38 AM

A/C condensate running off the roof... NOT out of the drain tube

2014 23D International Serenity

Well ratz!

Earlier today, I turned on the air conditioner in Fortune Cookie... Cools great.

But...

There's nary a drop of condensate dripping out of the drain tube in the wheel well. It's running off the roof!!!

I can [easily] blow through the drain tube which would seem to indicate it's not clogged.

I took the shroud off of the top-mounted unit, but apparently the condensate drain tubing cannot be seen from there.

I just don't want water running down between the interior and exterior walls or any other bad ju-ju.

Anybody else had this happen? What do do next?

Bummer...

Thanks, Robert

Lumatic 06-02-2018 11:54 AM

What type of AC?

When used last did the AC drain through the tube?

You may be able to see the connection by removing the AC cover on the coach ceiling.

mbubbaca 06-02-2018 12:57 PM

Try running a long length of weed wacker line up from the opening by the wheel well. Unless you used an air compressor to blow it out, there still could be something plugging it up.

Foiled Again 06-02-2018 01:48 PM

Or suck it out with a wet dry vac. Just use 2 fingers at the nozzle to reduce the air leakage. I do mine 2, 3 times a year in muggy eastern Virginia. Green algae comes out, and then the flood. Sign it is time? Water drains only when A/C stops running. Not really plugged but getting there.

Jim Flower 06-02-2018 02:41 PM

See “water coming out of front a/c intake again”. I don’t know how to attach a link. Should get some help there.

RFP 06-02-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 2109630)
What type of AC?

Dometic 13,500 BTU w/Heat Pump Model 651XXX (there are six configurations of this model, each with its own three digit numbers at the end. Standard A/C for 2014

Quote:

When used last did the AC drain through the tube?

The last time it was used... last August~September

Quote:

You may be able to see the connection by removing the AC cover on the coach ceiling.

I would be absolutely delighted to try that, but I have no idea how to get the cover off. The installation instructions indicate that it SNAPS ON when installing, but not a peep about how to SNAP the thing off (without breaking something).

Since there is absolutely zero access to the condensate drain tubing from the roof with the top shroud off, I'm going to have to get the inside piece off to have a look.

RFP 06-02-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foiled Again (Post 2109664)
Or suck it out with a wet dry vac. Just use 2 fingers at the nozzle to reduce the air leakage. I do mine 2, 3 times a year in muggy eastern Virginia. Green algae comes out, and then the flood. Sign it is time? Water drains only when A/C stops running. Not really plugged but getting there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 2109678)
See “water coming out of front a/c intake again”. I don’t know how to attach a link. Should get some help there.

OK, thanks, it's really easy to blow air through the drain hose, so it doesn't seem clogged at all, but I'll probably go ahead and try this anyway... you never know :blush:

Lumatic 06-02-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFP (Post 2109691)
I would be absolutely delighted to try that, but I have no idea how to get the cover off. The installation instructions indicate that it SNAPS ON when installing, but not a peep about how to SNAP the thing off (without breaking something).

I have a older Dometic Penguin. The lower cover is removed by first removing the 2 plastic air filter retainers at the bottom of the cover. This provides access to screws which hold the lower cover in place.

Jim Flower 06-02-2018 04:46 PM

Really sounds like the hose may have become separated from the drain cups. Mine was broken somewhere up there but the dealer fixed it so I can’t be more explicit. Even after it was fixed, I still experienced some leakage periodically as you described which is remedied by maintaining clear tubing. Jim

RFP 06-02-2018 05:05 PM

Well, I fixed at it and suspect that it's fixed for a little while. So, on the 2014 A/C that I have, there are eight very "unobtrusive" Philips head screws (that is, pretty well hidden, until you really look) that are removed to take down the inner A/C trim.

Easily visible are the two clear plastic drain tubes and the "Tee" that ties them to the wheel-well drain outlet. They looked pretty nasty. I separated one of the tubes from the Tee and tried to run a super-heavy week-whacker line through it... no dice. Then I used a piece of 12 gauge insulated solid copper wire and it poked through. Virtually zero water came out, though.

Satisfied that condensate water will not drip into the Airstream interior (the cup design is very cleaver), I buttoned the whole thing up. Done for the day. Thanks to all who answered.

pcskier 06-02-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFP (Post 2109729)
Well, I fixed at it and suspect that it's fixed for a little while. So, on the 2014 A/C that I have, there are eight very "unobtrusive" (that is, pretty well hidden, until you really look) that are removed to take down the inner A/C trim.

Rob, we have the same AC I imagine, so I want to 'future reference' this--as I've stared at the interior AC cover and speculated how, if needed, it comes off.

In your post, I believe you dropped a word, after you typed "unobstrusive"... I am wondering if you meant to type "Tab" or "Screw" or something else. Would be good info for me to file away!

Peter

RFP 06-02-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcskier (Post 2109733)
< snip >
In your post, I believe you dropped a word, after you typed "unobstrusive"... I am wondering if you meant to type "Tab" or "Screw" or something else. Would be good info for me to file away!

Peter

Fixed it... good catch, Peter!

Eight screws. The little plastic side air diverters have to be snapped out (you'll see how when you look at it) revealing a screw on each side (that's two). There is one screw front and one screw back the screwdriver access as right where the little ball-ended tab is. We're up to four. One screw at the edge of each side about 2/3rds of the way to the front (you will notice the "bigger" holes for screw access). So that's six. Then, there are two just a couple of inches either side of the fore/aft center line. That's it... all eight. You can find them easier than you can read this, probably. The cover will kind of "hang on" to the ceiling pieces (a couple of low-strength snaps)... just give it a little tug and down it comes.

If you get in trouble just let me know.

Again, the drain system is really cleaver, a leak into the interior is VERY unlikely.

Jim Flower 06-02-2018 05:48 PM

I'm a little puzzled. I think that there should be some condensate up there plus you indicated that you could blow through the lines but it took a pretty solid wire to "poke through"? You will know shortly, I guess, by the appearance of condensate, hopefully through the tubing, not over the roof. Jim

RFP 06-02-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 2109752)
I'm a little puzzled. I think that there should be some condensate up there plus you indicated that you could blow through the lines but it took a pretty solid wire to "poke through"? You will know shortly, I guess, by the appearance of condensate, hopefully through the tubing, not over the roof. Jim

I know... it's nutz. The new drain system uses two little "cups"... one on each side. I think that I was blowing [easily] into one of the cups through the "Tee" while the other remained solidly blocked. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted. I'll look at again later. But for now, I can't even run the A/C (I don't have adequate power where it's parked).