Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Best place to buy propane these days (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/best-place-to-buy-propane-these-days-181579.html)

devilsbox 05-15-2018 03:20 PM

Best place to buy propane these days

When we first left NH last January we were using a 30 lb tank every 2 days to stay warm. We quickly found out that Tractor Supply seemed to be the best place to buy Propane.

On our trip the range to fill up a 30 lb tank went between $14.50 to $30.00.

That's a big difference.

I'd be interested so hear what others do for propane fill up spots while on the road.

Larry

SeaLevel 05-15-2018 03:27 PM

2 days - wow! So far we've only had to fill one about every 6 months, so I just fill them at the cheapest local place before heading out again. Actually, I did fill one once while traveling, and that was while we were visiting the Virginia Highlands Haven Airstream park.

Lily&Me 05-15-2018 03:34 PM

I have just a small tank, but my preference is to pull in some place like AmeriGas or HicksGas....prices are best there, in my experience.

UHaul is the most expensive, and I once paid $20 for about 3 gallons because that was their minimum charge....something they didnít tell me til after they had filled my tank.

Maggie

Foiled Again 05-16-2018 03:27 AM

Tractor supply is good, and new ones are springing up everywhere. If you have 20 lb. Steel tanks, many tank exchange places are quite reasonable, especially BJ's, Sam's Club, and big gas stations or hardware stores.

Paula

r carl 05-16-2018 05:46 AM

If you are exchanging 20# tanks be aware lots of places only put in 15 or 17lbs, check the label, that's why they are cheaper. :brows:

moparjohn 05-16-2018 06:45 AM

lp

14.50 is REALLY cheap for a 30lb tank. I sell it at my work, and an empty 20 lb tank would cost $22..00 or so to fill.

polarlyse 05-16-2018 08:06 AM

I agree with Tractor Supply. That's my go to place when I'm looking for propane but I've also had good prices & service at ACE hardware's in places where they sell propane. I've been gouged at big propane distributers where they do it by weight. Stay away from those type. We have seveal TS's here in NJ but none that sell propane so I look for them when on the road.

eubank 05-16-2018 09:29 AM

Propane prices are all over the map. When we had our RV park and sold propane, we also paid a lot of attention to prices asked by others. The cheapest, by far, was the local energy and tele co-op, which filled DOT cylinders as well as huge home tanks at a price that was right at the bulk rate that we paid for it. Once converted to a per-gallon price, the highest were the trade-in places like Walmart and grocery stores, also selling only in 20-lb cylinders. But various prices across different fillers in the region weren't disturbed in a bell curve; they seemed just wildly distributed, low and high, all over the range.

Lynn

crispyboy 05-16-2018 09:36 AM

I have three options locally. A local propane distributor (highest), Tractor Supply (2.39 gallon) and Southern States Cooperative (2.13 gallon). Southern States Cooperative is located in the south-east part of the US.

AirMiles 05-16-2018 09:46 AM

Is there a rule-of-thumb method to compare the price per gallon of propane to the price per gallon of gasoline?

I typically consider the price for one gallon of gasoline to be a gauge for what to pay for a gallon of propane. Possibly a dollar a gallon more for propane similar to the variation of diesel to gasoline. I once pulled up to my local hardware store to fill my tanks and asked their price per gallon. "$5.00" said the attendant, "no thank you" said I, as gasoline was selling for low $2s per gallon! Now I usually go to Camping World to fill and feel good paying up to $1 per gallon more than gasoline. Camping World used to give a big discount (like 25% off) on Tuesdays, but they now say its discounted every day and no longer give the Tuesday discount.

Bill M. 05-16-2018 10:34 AM

I often just get refills at the campground I am in at the time when the first bottle runs out.

charlesk 05-16-2018 10:46 AM

Tractor Supply is always a time the top of our list while traveling.

If you are an Escapee member, their parks generally have very low cost propane.

synapticon 05-16-2018 11:02 AM

Yes, one of the many benefits of Escapees (their Coop parks) is that they sell propane at cost.

WhereStream 05-16-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispyboy (Post 2102034)
Southern States Cooperative is located in the south-east part of the US.

Wow, I havenít seen a Southern States co-op in many years.

I thought Southern States had gone out of business.

I get my tanks refilled at the Ace Hardware down the street.

Probably on the expensive side (it charges a minimum fee of $17), but convenient, and we donít use a lot of propane.