Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Computers, Internet & Satellite (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/)
-   -   Satellite connection bad? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451/satellite-connection-bad-181422.html)

80Ram 05-11-2018 04:36 PM

Satellite connection bad?

I can run my dish satellite direct to the Wally and it works on both TV sets. If I disconnect and run the cable from the outside AS satellite connect and then using the AS satellite cable and into the Wally I get the check 5 items pop up. Any ideas what causing this?

DoubleR 05-11-2018 06:28 PM

Satellite connection

You are using the satellite coax connector under the DVD player, if yourís is similar to our 2014 FC FB?

80Ram 05-11-2018 08:25 PM

Satellite connection bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleR (Post 2100256)
You are using the satellite coax connector under the DVD player, if yourís is similar to our 2014 FC FB?

I am using the satellite coax but still no picture. Whatís the correct way?

DoubleR 05-11-2018 09:24 PM

Satellite

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80Ram (Post 2100278)
I am using the satellite coax but still no picture. Whatís the correct way?

Just to make sure that your dish is connected to the SAT connection on the driverís/street side of the Airstream and the satellite receiver is connected to the SAT coax cable located under the DVD. You have to remove three screws in the shelf that the DVD is mounted to access the SAT coax cable. Also how are you connecting the HDMI connection between the receiver and the TV?

DoubleR 05-11-2018 09:27 PM

Satellite

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80Ram (Post 2100213)
I can run my dish satellite direct to the Wally and it works on both TV sets. If I disconnect and run the cable from the outside AS satellite connect and then using the AS satellite cable and into the Wally I get the check 5 items pop up. Any ideas what causing this?

Are you allowing time for the test to complete?

80Ram 05-13-2018 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's still not working. I have appointment at Bill Thomas RV hopefully they can solve the issues.

Al and Missy 05-13-2018 06:38 PM

IF you can get to the coax on the back side of the outside SAT jack, make sure it is tightly connected. Do the connectors at both ends of the cable look right? The center connector wire should be about the same length as the connector body. The center conductor is copper plated steel. It does not do well in wet conditions and rusts. Inspect for clean copper plating.

If you have an ohmmeter, check from center to shield for a short. If you have one either the connectors need to be replaced or the cable is damaged somewhere in the trailer.

Then short one end from center to the connector body and measure from the other end. You should be able to see the short. If not, the cable may be cut somewhere in the trailer.

Al

80Ram 06-09-2018 09:55 PM

We had to replace both ends of of the AS satellite cable which were defective. Happy to say itís fixed and working!

NWRVR 06-27-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80Ram (Post 2112936)
We had to replace both ends of of the AS satellite cable which were defective. Happy to say itís fixed and working!

I think I have a bad F-connector install on the inside satellite coax also. When I move the coax near the F-connector I lose the satellite signal. I thought about pulling a new coax from the outside plate but it appears it is tie-wrapped in the wall where a new coax can't be pulled through with the old one. Did you replace with a compression F-connector or a crimp connector?
Thanks,
Steve

80Ram 06-28-2018 03:43 PM

NWRVR, I actually had Bill Thomas Rv in Wentzville Mo. repair the satellite connections. I believe they used the same type of connection that originally came with it. They did a few other minor repairs for me under the AS warranty and did a excellent job. It will be 2 years this July we bought our AS and are really happy that's the only issue that we have had with ours.

CruizinDux 06-29-2018 07:23 PM

Even tho I had almost complete package of new connectors on my workbench at home none had made it into my spare parts bag. The price at walley's for a 50' coax was great but on a recent 6 week trip, I soon realized that the connectors were inferior. I headed for home depot as that is where I bought the ones on my workbench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Om...-019/202825156

They are much easier than the old crimp or screw on. I didn't buy the compression tool but use a small set of channel locks..working around alternative sides so compression is equal and it seats correctly. It works perfectly and replaced both ends. I left the spares in the TV and will likely replace the roughed in end for the Wally receiver install and replace the connections at the exterior.

B