Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Insurance & Claims (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351/)
-   -   Coach-Net, AAA, Good Sam? Roadside Assist (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351/coach-net-aaa-good-sam-roadside-assist-181047.html)

InterBlog 05-03-2018 10:07 AM

I have Good Sam and have had to use them one time. They provided excellent service, and I was in a remote area in eastern Canada. They are just a dispatch center, yes, but they do that One Job very well. The guy they sent to fix my rig had to travel a 50-mile round trip into an undeveloped area, then navigate down a private logging road to find me. That took perseverance, LOL.

Fred L 05-03-2018 12:37 PM

Carrying Triple AAA and Good Sam for now, only because I have had AAA for 20 years.
Will be dropping GS though. Simple reason is that I get good discounts on hotels during business travel with AAA that more than pays for itself.
I did have an issue with the trailer within the first few hours of owning it where I met a fellow who towed it to a half way meeting point. After I did some work in installing the WDH and putting on 4 new wheels/tires, I could not get the electrical 7 pin connection to work. Thinking it may have been a fuse, but wasn't. I ended up pulling into a Flying J who said they only worked on trucks, so called GS (Saturday afternoon around 4:00) and he said they would send somone. When I asked how long, he said most likely 5-6 hours. I was in Va along Rt 81, not far from Christiansburg or Roanoke, so not out in the middle of nowhere. Declined the service. Will be staying with AAA going forward. There is also an interesting you tube video done by the folks who call their business long honeymoon about a time they called GS in northern Ca and were told by GS that no one could help them for at least 24 hours. That doesn't work well for me.

jwc363 05-03-2018 03:09 PM

This may help

Several years ago My dodge truck broke down on I-5 in rural northern California. I was hauling a 27 foot non-airstream trailer. AAA sent a gentleman with a flatbed truck that could haul the truck and hooked the trailer up to his hitch and hauled me and my truck and trailer to a motel. He was a mechanic and after diagnosing the problem as a fuel pump he came back the next morning and installed a new one. AAA premium paid for the tow for the truck and trailer.

Mrjkq 05-03-2018 03:57 PM

FMCA (family motor coach association) has opened its membership ranks to all towable RV's that are self contained, the annual membership fee is $50 and the benefits are 2nd to none. They offer a roadside assistance program for $69 annually that covers all your vehicles including motorcycles. This roadside program is better than or equal to all the others & less expensive. Micheline tire program & insurance is just a couple more benefits available along with a monthly magazine. Well worth the money. I recently replaced my Truck tires with Michelin Defender LT tires using the FMCA Michelin Advantage program & saved a bundle. The program applies to all type Michelin tires so Airstream owners that are in the market can also save big bucks.

Jan Tillman 05-03-2018 04:38 PM

We have AAA gold with a rider for the Tin Tipi ,we had a breakdown in Ky .called for a tow truck waited 5 hrs in 95 degree heat a good Samaritan stopped took my husband to a part fixed and then came back and did the work. AAA got mad when we canceled the call.
I might add I am disabled and in all that time not one cop stopped

GadaboutGal 05-03-2018 04:52 PM

Need insurance for my 1998 AS

:bb:Hello newby to AS forum. I have been checking on insurance but finding most want to quote from NADA or only will insure newer models. Any suggestions would be great? Will be taking her out soon for first run.

Smartstream 05-03-2018 05:03 PM

I have been with AAA since I was a kid. After so many years the premier package is free. :) A few years back we had a problem in New York. After a few calls we discovered AAA New York does not cover RVs. After a call to AAA Washington we were told to hire whoever we needed and we would be reimbursed. The tow cost us $1100, inconvenient but we received a check in about a week with no questions ask. With all the discounts, free maps, yes we still carry and use paper maps, I am happy with AAA.

Ted S. 05-03-2018 06:56 PM

I don't think you will ever find a perfect roadside service. I think a lot of has to do with where you break down and what services are offered in that area.

When you break down, you get service from a local provider, not from AAA, Good Sam or Coachnet themselves. So I think you will always run the gamut. But I am not an expert.

Having said that, I had one experience with Coachnet. I upgraded to the premier level because that covers the tow vehicle as well. The promo level you get with your trailer does not, or at least in my case.

I pay $150 a year, pretty happy with it. They were on it when I needed them. I had AAA pre-camper days, Broke down one day took hours to get a hook. The issue was the local shops were all busy. Just the way it goes. Don't think any service is better than the other in that situation.

davidrrand 05-03-2018 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Long time
AAA member so will probably add there RV premier service.

Dave

sbacon 05-04-2018 03:35 AM

Good Ole Sam on a bender

I had a flat while on the interstate in Texas. I called good ole Sam, told him the
mile marker and he asked "What do you see nearby?" Answer was "Trees".
Good ole Sam finally said that he could not find me, and I was on my own.
Goodbye to brain dead Sam.
It's funny, but AAA has always been able to find me. Wonder why good ole Sam
couldn't find me on an interstate with a mile marker?

urnmor 05-04-2018 05:26 AM

We have had Good Sam fo almost six years and used them twice. Once at home in my drive way and once on the road when we had a blowout. In both cases their response and service was excellent. I will renew with them.
However whether or not who you go with I personally think (maybe it is an age thing) the insurance is well worth the piece of mind. It is one of those things that you don't know when you will need it but if you don't have it when you need it it is to late to get it.

57Wanderer 05-05-2018 07:44 AM

We used our AAA +RV yesterday when the TPMS alerted us to a tire that was very very low. We called the dispatcher and the central office found a local tire shop with a mobile unit that came out within 90 minutes to change the tire out to the spare and investigate the problem (the injured tire had a big nail in it.)

They came to the campground, from Charleston, SC. About a 30 minute ride for the driver. Excellent service.

Prior to that, we have used the RV service when we were locked out of the trailer and the central dispatch located a locksmith to come to our campground and open the door for us. Excellent service again. Another 60 minute wait. Again, the tech had to drive about 30 minutes (Desert Hot Springs, Ca) to find us.

Towing, tires, locksmith. What more do you need? I am a long time customer of AAA, and have always had great experiences with them. Prior to this, our coverage was on our cars and work trucks, in the middle of a very big city, with services all around. So when it came time to look for coverage while full time RVing, I looked around and no one else had the service for the price of AAA.

switz 05-06-2018 07:29 AM

Good Sam lost the legal rights to insure our trailer because they were cancelled as an agent. Switched to FICS agency and now have Progressive insurance on both trailers. Have stated value on Classic with many modifications.

Have had AAA coverage since 1962 and has worked for us. Also have CoachNet as one or the other can get the job done. Let Good Sam road side lapse as got tired of all of the junk mail.

Have lifetime membership in GoodSam which lets me get discounts at some RV parks along with AAA, military and AARP.

Lhenry83 07-15-2019 08:36 PM

What is the BEST roadside assistance if you want to tow your AS to an authorized AS dealer?
I’ve got USAA, Coach-Net that came with my 2019 Globetrotter and AAA “Classic” - no RV coverage. USAA will tow my trailer to the closest “Service Center”, AAA “Premier” + RV will tow 100 miles. I plan to call Coach-Net tomorrow to see what is the distance they will tow. We just returned from a trip to Pagosa Springs, CO. The closest “authorized” dealership was 158 miles away in New Mexico. I do NOT want some “random” RV repair shop working on my 2019 AS - especially when it’s under warranty.
What am I missing? What happens to the AS travelers who have a breakdown in Alaska, etc. How would Coach-Net / AAA handle that scenario? Is the towing cost out of my pocket - that is a scary thought. Thanks, 16242-TX