Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   1973 Airstream door lock broke canít get inside to replace (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/1973-airstream-door-lock-broke-can-t-get-inside-to-replace-180763.html)

Airdreamz 04-27-2018 10:58 AM

1973 Airstream door lock broke canít get inside to replace

Hi,

The lock pin appears to have sheared off my lock. Key spins with no resistance, door doesnít unlock. Unfortunately itís locked and I canít get inside to take the assemble apart.

If anyone can answer the following it would be much appreciated:

Can I drill out the lock or will that just wreck more lock parts and still not get me in?

I tried to unscrew the hinge, realized bolted from inside so no luck, canít take the pins out as itís hammered from above with no outlet on the bottom. Anyway to take the hinge off from outside?

If I have to get in is breaking the window the only option? If so, Iím guessing the smallest window but it still looks very pricey to replace?

Any other way in? Through the 14 inch fan opening on the roof? Through the battery box?

Any help is much appreciated, getting a little desperate

Pics below

Lumatic 04-27-2018 11:38 AM

I did not see your pics.

Before you break a window try this:

1."secret technique" I will send a PM
2. a locksmith with a slim jim

Airdreamz 04-27-2018 11:27 PM

Thank you Lumatic!

Thanks for the quick reply and enlightening me to the secreat portal into my Airstream. It worked well and is much appreciated!

RwayTandG 08-04-2018 02:55 PM

locked our of our 1973 Overlander, what is the secret??

Airdreamz 08-09-2018 09:31 AM

RwayTandG I sent you s PM describing the method back when you posted your message. I noticed it shows unread. Hopefully you got in your trailer, if you still need the method, check your PMs. Thanks.

paul sokolof 09-27-2018 07:19 PM

Secret message for way in

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airdreamz (Post 2140608)
RwayTandG I sent you s PM describing the method back when you posted your message. I noticed it shows unread. Hopefully you got in your trailer, if you still need the method, check your PMs. Thanks.

Hello I just arrived at RV park and can't get in the lock locks and unlocks but I can't get in

Airdreamz 09-28-2018 07:23 AM

Sent you a pm.

Bowmanet 10-02-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airdreamz (Post 2161994)
Sent you a pm.

Can you send me that secret too? Ive lost my key and trying to sell the airstream

liz.travel 10-10-2018 10:40 AM

Secret technique

Hi,

Iím in need of the secret technique too. Thank you!

paul sokolof 10-12-2018 08:53 AM

locked out

I could not find a "secret" on this issue at all. I removed the back glass and entered. One of the screws that holds the door lock/latch in place loosened and was stuck in the dead bolt hole. i had to hacksaw off the screw head to open the door. I then had to fix the latch/lock - and thankfully I did. I also used lockwashers to hold the screw in place. A very time consuming task overall. I've yet to fix the rear window.

It is a Creative window and I need a new gasket. one would think Airstream would have these parts but nooooo. I'm still looking for the gasket. Very hard to do online

Hope all works out