Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   Honda EU2200i (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/honda-eu2200i-179830.html)

Cispook 04-05-2018 07:23 AM

Honda EU2200i

Already made the decision to go with the Honda generator. Primary purpose will be battery charging if and intermittent 30A power if required.
As a generator newbie I noticed Honda has two models of this generator and the only difference I see is the 30A plug which adds $100 to the cost.
Is this worth the extra dollars? What accessories will I need to hook up and get the system running?
Regards

Moflash 04-05-2018 07:38 AM

You want the one with the 30 amp plug.

Gamehawkers 04-05-2018 07:55 AM

You in your research may already know this and Not to rain on your parade but you may not realize that those small generators don’t put out 30 amps unless you link two of them with parallel cables. One of the generators is actually named the companion and has the 30 amp receptacle. By themselves each generator puts out less than 15 amps. Together they put out around 26 amps.
So, if you want to run all your 30 amp systems especially the air conditioning you need to buy both. If you only intend to charge the battery then you are correct. I am only mentioning this to save you possible grief in that running the air conditioning with only one unit will damage the air conditioning over time leading to expensive replacement

Cispook 04-05-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamehawkers (Post 2084965)
You in your research may already know this and Not to rain on your parade but you may not realize that those small generators don’t put out 30 amps unless you link two of them with parallel cables. One of the generators is actually named the companion and has the 30 amp receptacle. By themselves each generator puts out less than 15 amps. Together they put out around 26 amps.
So, if you want to run all your 30 amp systems especially the air conditioning you need to buy both. If you only intend to charge the battery then you are correct. I am only mentioning this to save you possible grief in that running the air conditioning with only one unit will damage the air conditioning over time leading to expensive replacement

Thanks - I knew it wouldn’t run the AC or put out 30A power. Doesn’t hurt to remind folks. Only looking to keep batteries up and charge phone etc.

dznf0g 04-05-2018 02:10 PM

Yeah, it'll run one a/c with an easystart installed. A 2000 will easily run my 13.5k, and some here say a 2000 will run their 15k with easystart. With 200 more watts, I am sure the 2200s will run a 15k.

Wayne&Sam 04-05-2018 02:14 PM

My old Honda 2000i runs my 15k but A/C with Easystart. Some say it won't at altitude, but a 2200 ought to be just fine, IMO.

Easystart ought to be in every A/C!

Firedog1 04-05-2018 03:09 PM

I would like to hear if anyone is running the 15K with 2200 for any length of time with easy start. I just had easy start installed and considered downsizing from 3100is to the new 2200. If I do that would like to mount it on a frame

thiel 04-05-2018 08:50 PM

I run my AC with EasyStart and a 2000, so I would imagine a 2200 would do it even easier...

PKI 04-05-2018 10:49 PM

The 30 amp outlet on the Companion is not RV plug compatible and requires a special adapter. You are just as well off with the standard unit and a 30 to 15 amp dog bone adapter that should be in your standard kit. Pat

SilverHouseDreams 04-05-2018 11:43 PM

You should always use an RV adapter plug that bonds neutral and ground, or make your own. A standard dog bone alone doesn’t do that.

Phoenix 04-06-2018 12:33 AM

Honda generators do NOT need to have the "AC neutral wire" and "ground terminal in the AC output receptacle" bonded (i.e., connected together). See text extract from Honda EU2000i Owners Manual, page 17, which appears below:

==========

GROUND SYSTEM

Honda portable generators have a system ground that connects generator frame components to the ground terminals in the AC output receptacles. The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire. If the generator is tested by a receptacle tester, it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle.

SilverHouseDreams 04-07-2018 02:54 PM

That text states the neutral and ground are NOT bonded, as is expected to occur external of the TT. I know my hardwired EMS will not enable trailer power if their is a floating neutral. I guess it is up to everyone that doesn’t have an EMS to decide if they see a floating neutral as a hazard or not...I’ll pick bonded neutral to ground as that is a proper electrical system.

http://rvtravel.com/how-generator-ne...r-an-rv-works/

rmkrum 04-08-2018 08:46 PM

Honda EU2200i

Any of these generators, both conventional and inverter are designed with a floating neutral.

The work around is to set up a standard duplex plug with a jumper wire between ground and neutral and plug it in to any duplex outlet on the generator. Problem solved. Label the plug clearly for safety.

Do not modify the Airstream power cord or do anything to its electrical system to “solve” the issue. It would be against the electrical code and cause a hazard. RV neutral and ground are required to only be tied together wager they are plugged in to a power distribution pedestal or properly rigged generator.

The jumper plug on the generator is the safe way to do it. Pull the jumper plug if you are not using the generator for powering the Airstream.

Garfish 04-09-2018 07:23 PM

EU 2200 and AC

Anyone start and run AC with new Honda 2200 without easy start and propane? This for 16 foot sport