Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   What to do with generator when stopped for the night? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/what-to-do-with-generator-when-stopped-for-the-night-177758.html)

rfequity 02-14-2018 02:15 PM

What to do with generator when stopped for the night?
 
So I was wondering what do I do with my generator when I stop for the night at a Walmart of Cracker Barrel parking lot. I know I need to chain it/ secure it, but where? I have a 2013 FC 25' with the front and rear electrical outlets. I have a truck with a tonnoeu cover, but it can't stay under there while its running. What do others do?

rmkrum 02-14-2018 02:23 PM

Some of us have tonneau covers that open partially for ventilation, and run the generator chained in the back of the truck with the cover partially open.

Generally, I try to travel when/where we will not need the generator to run air conditioning. Otherwise, it's gotta be full hookups, or at least power.

Others have used cab-high shells with operable windows and a exhaust port as well as an easy way to rout the power cable out of the shell.

Search around the forums for some other ideas...

dznf0g 02-14-2018 02:25 PM

Gotta tell you, I'd be honked off at you at Cracker Barrel if you were running a gen all night. It's tight in those lots...both noise and fumes. If you have to have A/C all night, please find a campground with electric hookups or somewhere where you can park well away from anyone else.

And, yes I am a generator owner and user.....when and where appropriate.

Martee 02-14-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfequity (Post 2066594)
So I was wondering what do I do with my generator when I stop for the night at a Walmart of Cracker Barrel parking lot. I know I need to chain it/ secure it, but where? I have a 2013 FC 25' with the front and rear electrical outlets. I have a truck with a tonnoeu cover, but it can't stay under there while its running. What do others do?

In my opinion; you should not be running Gensets at night in Walmart or Crocker Barrel parking lots. I cannot think of a faster way to change the welcome sign for RV overnight stays to....no longer welcome. Walmart leaves it up to the discretion of each store manager to allow RV night stays.

AWCHIEF 02-14-2018 07:10 PM

Walmart, Cracker Barrel, no pull out, generators, awnings, grills or lounge chairs, please. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone else.

xrvr 02-15-2018 05:31 AM

Good common sense answers.

canesx5 02-15-2018 06:50 AM

If your traveling down south in the summer months and stop over for a quick stay, I guarantee you will want a/c. It can still be in the mid 80's a night. I travel for work during the summer months and find myself in the deep South sometimes during that time of the year. Not everyone traveling in an airstream has the luxury of choosing to go to higher elevation for cooler temps. I've woken up to low 90's at 6:30 in the am. I guarantee you won't disturb any neighbors with your generator because they won't hear yours over the sound of their own. Don't get me wrong, under normal circumstances I agree with most of your answers. Just consider there is always an exception to the rules.
To answer your original question, I have a tonne cover that I leave cracked open for ventilation and lock my tailgate. I also lock down my gen to the truck. I've never had a problem.

InterBlog 02-15-2018 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 2066681)
Walmart, Cracker Barrel, no pull out, generators, awnings, grills or lounge chairs, please. This is the kind of stuff that ruins it for everyone else.

+1

and +1 and +1 to the others who said similarly.

My husband and I are 100% off-grid (solar, lithium, plus other upgrades) and staying in Walmart, Cracker Barrel, and Cabela's is routine for us on cross-country trips. Not once have I encountered any rig running its generator in those locations, thank goodness, because all of our days would be numbered if those locations got turned into public nuisances from all that noise and products of combustion. (If or when I do encounter an active generator in such places, I'll upload a video as a discouragement to others).

I live in the deep south - it doesn't get much deeper or hotter than coastal Texas - and I would never do this. Never. If it's hot at night, crank the roof fan and live with it. I've done it many times, and it is absolutely not fun. But it's preferable to having a valuable logistical overnight parking resource discontinued because of a minority of people who don't respect the circumstances by which such generosity is extended.

AtomicNo13 02-15-2018 08:00 AM

If you need to run your genset overnight, find a truck stop, lots of noise there... No one will ever notice!

RandyNH 02-15-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 (Post 2066784)
If you need to run your genset overnight, find a truck stop, lots of noise there... No one will ever notice!

Yup, this was gonna be my answer. I said this to someone once in a discussion, their reply was they don't like truck stops because they can't sleep with the trucks running nearby, I shook my head, laughed and walked away....

Lily&Me 02-15-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 (Post 2066784)
If you need to run your genset overnight, find a truck stop, lots of noise there... No one will ever notice!

Yes,...and if you donít want a truck stop, but feel electricity is required, find a campground. :bb:

Maggie

xrvr 02-15-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canesx5 (Post 2066765)
If your traveling down south in the summer months and stop over for a quick stay, I guarantee you will want a/c. It can still be in the mid 80's a night. I travel for work during the summer months and find myself in the deep South sometimes during that time of the year. Not everyone traveling in an airstream has the luxury of choosing to go to higher elevation for cooler temps. I've woken up to low 90's at 6:30 in the am. I guarantee you won't disturb any neighbors with your generator because they won't hear yours over the sound of their own. Don't get me wrong, under normal circumstances I agree with most of your answers. Just consider there is always an exception to the rules.
To answer your original question, I have a tonne cover that I leave cracked open for ventilation and lock my tailgate. I also lock down my gen to the truck. I've never had a problem.

Absolutely right! That said i used full service cg, truck stops when needed. Truckers do not care if tou run your gen. Just lock it r chain it.

moosetags 02-15-2018 08:35 AM

We have spent many nights over the years in Wal-Mart, truck plaza and rest area parking lots. We very often ran our two Honda 2000 generators. We have always tucked them under the rear bumper of our tow vehicle and chained them up for security. We have never had an issue with either use of the generators or their security.

We have recently gone over to a Honda 3000 that we run inside the bed of our truck.

Brian

Mollysdad 02-15-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 2066804)
We have recently gone over to a Honda 3000 that we run inside the bed of our truck.

Brian

I didn't realize the WalMart parkers were that sensitive to generators. Personally, I like a campground with power, just for the security. My one night in a WalMart had cars zipping by all night.
More to the point, a Honda 3000 inside a truck bed cannot be heard from 30' away, especially by someone inside their own unit. Exhaust?.....It's a parking lot!
As far as truck stops, I found Flying J Usually has an RV lot far from the truck lot. It was fantastic!

With the explosion of RV's hitting the road, it's going to take some compromise or else it won't be fun anymore. I don't think we need the WalMart HOA on patrol. Isn't it just as easy to say, "If you want dead quiet, YOU should go to a campground with power or a state park?" (with all due respect) WalMart parking lots aren't exactly the redwood forest.

I have my generator for those times I may want to stop for lunch at WalMart, go shopping and keep the AS cool for a rest stop.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.