Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/our-journey-begins-2018-ai-tb-lounge-173135.html)

wachuko 05-20-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 2103825)
Don't know who that is or the reference. :)

That is the famous Cool McCool!! And one of his phrases is “Danger is my middle name”. :brows:

I was just trying to make a funny reference... but now the moment is gone...

Alex AVI 05-20-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 2103805)
Following your progress on relocating the LP Fill Panel with great interest. You are doing the same thing I was planning, but the next step is more of a challenge. How do you plan to cut that bracket with the LP lines attached?

Or are you going to empty the LP tank and disconnect the lines? That's the dilemma.

+1 Never scares me to do electricity live but I just petrified of tooling around/near any type of gas

wachuko 05-20-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom23 (Post 2103843)
You might want to make the assembly a little more sturdy...

I just filled the propane for the first time and the attendant was pretty physical with the propane nozzle and the RV inlet. The whole RV was shaking.

The rivets might get loose over time. Maybe more overlap and two rows of rivets, or zig zag?

Just a suggestion.

Also, in case you have not thought about it, which I am sure you did, the bracket supporting the skirt would probably be a good place to mount the magnet to keep the opening closed.

Great Job! You are very brave with the mini hack saw.

I plan to do this modification also. Thank you for sharing.

I can also use bolts to secure it. Thank you for the suggestion. It needs to be as sturdy or more than when it was stock.

On the supporting bracket. Yes! That is why I wanted to see if I could cut right next to it. It will serve as the point where the magnet attaches to. ;)

Thanks again!

wachuko 05-20-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom23 (Post 2103846)
If you are thinking about silver trim pieces, here are a couple from a quick search:

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Overla.../dp/B01E3COKK6

https://www.amazon.com/YIJINSHENG-3m...ASVS2NFYXEBX0T

Thank you. I will try touch up paint first... but most likely I will need to do the trim... I think it will look better than just leaving it without it... but I will try to find it in silver instead of chrome. To make it disappear... So I will order the second one on your post.

Boxster1971 05-20-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex AVI (Post 2103858)
+1 Never scares me to do electricity live but I just petrified of tooling around/near any type of gas

Agree. But a hacksaw or drill with lube oil should not produce any sparks. I would not recommend a grinder or cut-off disk tool. I'm going to have a closer look at my van now to see if I can get this done.

For relocating the quick-connect fitting I'll have to drill a large hole and get a proper bulkhead fitting. Not going to try to re-weld the old fitting on the panel.

An aluminum continuous hinge would also work for remounting the trim piece

wachuko 05-20-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex AVI (Post 2103858)
+1 Never scares me to do electricity live but I just petrified of tooling around/near any type of gas

Just hold my beer while I do this... :lol::lol:

wachuko 05-20-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 2103873)
Agree. But a hacksaw or drill with lube oil should not produce any sparks. I would not recommend a grinder or cut-off disk tool. I'm going to have a closer look at my van now to see if I can get this done.

For relocating the quick-connect fitting I'll have to drill a large hole and get a proper bulkhead fitting. Not going to try to re-weld the old fitting on the panel.

An aluminum continuous hinge would also work for remounting the trim piece

^ This!!! Even a hack saw... I can use a small cutting disk with the dremel to make the path... and then use a hack saw to finish the cut... I am in no hurry and can take the time cutting it...

I got this hinge... should be here in a few weeks. Stainless steel. But as you mentioned, aluminum should work as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boxster1971 05-20-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2103854)
That is the famous Cool McCool!! And one of his phrases is “Danger is my middle name”. :brows:

I was just trying to make a funny reference... but now the moment is gone...

Sorry - I was in college when the Cool McCool animated series ran on NBC (1966-1969). I didn't watch much TV during those years.

Boxster1971 05-20-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2103876)
^ This!!! Even a hack saw... I can use a small cutting disk with the dremel to make the path... and then use a hack saw to finish the cut... I am in no hurry and can take the time cutting it...

I got this hinge... should be here in a few weeks. Stainless steel. But as you mentioned, aluminum should work as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Thanks for link to SS hinge, that would be stronger than aluminum. Here is the type of bulkhead fitting that might work to re-locate the quick-connect fitting.
https://www.amazon.com/Legines-Fitti...dp/B074FT9JJG/

wachuko 05-20-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster1971 (Post 2103886)
Thanks for link to SS hinge, that would be stronger than aluminum. Here is the type of bulkhead fitting that might work to re-locate the quick-connect fitting.
https://www.amazon.com/Legines-Fitti...dp/B074FT9JJG/

I was not planning on relocating the quick disconnect. I was just going to place a spacer to push the whole thing back so that the connector clears the chassis.

And because of this, use bolts to secure everything together...

Makes sense?

Boom23 05-20-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2103870)
Thank you. I will try touch up paint first... but most likely I will need to do the trim... I think it will look better than just leaving it without it... but I will try to find it in silver instead of chrome. To make it disappear... So I will order the second one on your post.

Some more trim that might not be as shiny:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-COS...lver+edge+trim

https://www.amazon.com/Matched-Moldi...lver+edge+trim

Boxster1971 05-20-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2103905)
I was not planning on relocating the quick disconnect. I was just going to place a spacer to push the whole thing back so that the connector clears the chassis.



And because of this, use bolts to secure everything together...



Makes sense?


Not sure there is enough room to do what you suggest. Might be if you use about 1/2" spacers. Definitely bolts required for this. I'll have to look close and measure. Sure would be easier if you don't have to re-locate that connector.

Boxster1971 05-20-2018 07:42 PM

Ok - looking at this closer I'm thinking a piece of 3/4" square tubing would make an adequate spacer. That also would mean mounting the panel about 1/4" lower than you suggested above. Not a big issue. Plan to spend some time tomorrow under van checking dimensions.

Alex AVI 05-20-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2103870)
Thank you. I will try touch up paint first... but most likely I will need to do the trim... I think it will look better than just leaving it without it... but I will try to find it in silver instead of chrome. To make it disappear... So I will order the second one on your post.

You did such a wonderful job on that cut (freehand, you one brave cookie). I personally think the paint touchup will end up looking great coz the cut was clean and so the 2 edges will match up. Whichever way you end up finishing the edge, yours will look so much cleaner setup than the rest of us mortals.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.