Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sprinter and B-van Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/)
-   -   Our Journey Begins - 2018 AI TB Lounge (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/our-journey-begins-2018-ai-tb-lounge-173135.html)

wachuko 10-10-2017 10:46 AM

Adding the teak shower mat to the list of first mods. It just looks so sharp. Being 5'7" I am not too concerned with loosing some headroom space.

Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...g?v=1486399242

Natuzzi 10-11-2017 09:52 AM

One item(s) to add to your list that is small, compact and can save LOTS of potential headaches is; a good set of walkie talkies! Even with backup cameras, side cameras, visual checks, etc., there will be times you will have to rely on a set of eyeballs on certain spaces especially when backing and it will most likely be your wife (or kids if old enough) doing the guiding and/or giving feedback. Also make sure you are in agreement on hand signals, verbal commands, etc. IN ADVANCE of trying the first time. We have witnessed some absolutely hilarious (for us at least) incidents resulting in some VERY heated and prolonged discussions!

wachuko 10-11-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natuzzi (Post 2020289)
One item(s) to add to your list that is small, compact and can save LOTS of potential headaches is; a good set of walkie talkies! Even with backup cameras, side cameras, visual checks, etc., there will be times you will have to rely on a set of eyeballs on certain spaces especially when backing and it will most likely be your wife (or kids if old enough) doing the guiding and/or giving feedback. Also make sure you are in agreement on hand signals, verbal commands, etc. IN ADVANCE of trying the first time. We have witnessed some absolutely hilarious (for us at least) incidents resulting in some VERY heated and prolonged discussions!

Thank you. We do have a set... but find, unless signal is an issue, that using our phones is better. But I will placed those in the AI just in case.

Protagonist 10-11-2017 11:42 AM

Ever since an unpleasant encounter with a low-hanging tree branch at a campground a few years ago, I have a telescoping pole that I can extend to the height of my Airstream, and use it to measure whether I have enough clearance under any suspected overhead obstruction. The pole I have accepts a variety of cleaning attachments, but sees the most use as a measuring stick.

When they say, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole, that's the pole they mean!

InterBlog 10-13-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2020312)
Thank you. We do have a set... but find, unless signal is an issue, that using our phones is better. But I will placed those in the AI just in case.

I just bought a pair a few days ago at Cabela's. $20 off sticker plus $30 mail-in rebate for a net of $50. Texas is gearing up for deer hunting season, so there are deals to be had. I didn't want to pay too much for an item that would get used only rarely (such as where there is no phone service).

wachuko 10-13-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InterBlog (Post 2020932)
I just bought a pair a few days ago at Cabela's. $20 off sticker plus $30 mail-in rebate for a net of $50. Texas is gearing up for deer hunting season, so there are deals to be had. I didn't want to pay too much for an item that would get used only rarely (such as where there is no phone service).

I might look to see what is new out there... the ones we have use 4 AA batteries each, and these do not last long... we have to remove them every time after use to avoid wasting them between uses...

Natuzzi 10-13-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachuko (Post 2020955)
I might look to see what is new out there... the ones we have use 4 AA batteries each, and these do not last long... we have to remove them every time after use to avoid wasting them between uses...

I have Motorola’s and Cobra’s, both of which have rechargeable batteries but the Motorola’s will also take 4 AA alkalines if no charging options available. Plus, I always have my Goal Zero panel available when there is enough light. The Cobra’s have the longest range though and we use them to keep in touch when camping, hiking, biking, etc. Too often in poor cell service areas especially in rural VA and WV.

wachuko 10-17-2017 03:42 PM

Nothing to see... since the forum does not allow to go back and edit after 1/2 hour... just consolidating the list that I have so far. The list is the must-do modifications to make the experience better. There are a lot of additional things that we will get as we start to use it. These mods I just want to make as soon as I get the Interstate to avoid some of the issues you all have already encountered:
  1. Additional battery trays and strap downs (ordered). Part numbers: 454679 Strap, Battery hold-down and 454982 Battery tray, AGM CL24, End mount. This is to double the house battery capacity. Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline)
  2. Victron BlueSolar 100/30 MPPT Charge Controller - 30 Amps / 100 Volts
  3. Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Dongle
  4. Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Automatic Charging Relay - (already have this ready to install when I get the Interstate)
  5. Water pressure regulator for when hooking up at RV park facilities. Read somewhere that this prevents damage to the Interstate water lines when the pressure at the RV Park is higher than expected
  6. Surge protector/EMS - Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector with Cover - 30 Amp - same reason as for having the water regulator...but in this case, to protect the electrical system in the Interstate when hooking up at a camp site
  7. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  8. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  9. 3M Clear protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  10. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  11. Duallys valvesDually 16'' Steel / Aluminum Valve Stem Extension Kit DL1SPAL - or install an ARB compressor and have the correct air adapter and leave the stock air valves in place.
  12. Teak Shower Mat for Airstream Interstate Lounge
  13. Telescoping pole to make sure there is clearance before driving through areas with limited height, because I want to keep all the stuff on top of the Interstate in one piece... ouch! :blink:
  14. Rubber Wheel Chocks
  15. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  16. MotoTote MTX Sport Motorcycle Carrier for when I want to take my motorcycle on a trip


That is all for now... still reading threads and pulling ideas for the first must have mods for a newbie with an RV...

Natuzzi 10-17-2017 05:26 PM

wachuko, another alternative to the 3M protective film is Xpel. I have 3M on one vehicle and it is very good but the Xpel product is even better. It has “healing” property that can actually cover and fill in any of the inevitable stone chips that occur. If the mark is too large it may not completely heal but get darn close. I have no idea if there is much of a price difference.

wachuko 10-17-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natuzzi (Post 2022999)
wachuko, another alternative to the 3M protective film is Xpel. I have 3M on one vehicle and it is very good but the Xpel product is even better. It has “healing” property that can actually cover and fill in any of the inevitable stone chips that occur. If the mark is too large it may not completely heal but get darn close. I have no idea if there is much of a price difference.

I use Xpel for the headlights in my cars... I do the install myself of those. Was not aware they had other products.

Southtown 10-17-2017 06:58 PM

I had my 2017 grand tour ext 4x4 xpelled before I drove across country. I also had the entire windshield done. Zero road or windshield chips in 10000 miles. Great stuff and easy to maintain.

wachuko 10-17-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southtown (Post 2023042)
I had my 2017 grand tour ext 4x4 xpelled before I drove across country. I also had the entire windshield done. Zero road or windshield chips in 10000 miles. Great stuff and easy to maintain.

Do you mind sharing how much that was? You can send me private message if you prefer. Just want to added to my budget spreadsheet

Southtown 10-17-2017 07:32 PM

It was 3800.00 full xpel kit, windshield, and side window tint.

wachuko 10-17-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southtown (Post 2023058)
It was 3800.00 full xpel kit, windshield, and side window tint.

Thank you!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.