Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Pro Pride install near Lake Elsinore/Temecula, CA? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/pro-pride-install-near-lake-elsinore-temecula-ca-170880.html)

weirdstuff 08-04-2017 10:54 AM

Pro Pride install near Lake Elsinore/Temecula, CA?

In a couple months, we'll be picking up our new Serenity 23FB at Airstream Inland Empire (Lake Elsinore). Need advice on hitch installation....

We'd like to install a Pro Pride hitch. The little satellite dealership does not have a service department.

Wondering if anyone near there has any recommendations for a place to have the Pro Pride installed.

I know some of you have done the install yourselves. Husband might do this, but, if we had a strong recommendation for an installer, we'd probably do that (rather than suffer in the heat in the parking lot of the dealer!)

Thx...:)

HowieE 08-04-2017 11:54 AM

What are you towing with and how far is to home?

weirdstuff 08-04-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowieE (Post 1988447)
What are you towing with and how far is to home?

Towing with new F150. It's about 1 hour 20 minutes to home. We've never towed anything before.

dkottum 08-04-2017 01:10 PM

We drove by this place last December. Their website says they do have a service department capable of extensive maintenance and repairs. What dealership can't install a hitch, after all. And the ProPride install is not at all difficult.

It is different because the hitch head is mounted to the trailer tongue at a yoke that supports it. The hitch head, yoke, yoke bracket, and weight distribution screw jacks all stay on the tongue after install. You only handle the stinger once the assembly is installed.

There is a number for their service department on their website, I would call them and tell them you need your ProPride installed so you can drive home safely.

HowieE 08-04-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weirdstuff (Post 1988461)
Towing with new F150. It's about 1 hour 20 minutes to home. We've never towed anything before.

A bit too far to consider towing home without a hitch.
I would strongly suggest you read up and understand how the hitch is installed and used because very few dealers do anything more that bolt them on and take the money.

If you have never towed before think about that trailer before you make a right hand turn in areas that have curbs. The common mistake is to Cut The Corner and hit the curb with the trailer wheels.

Do you have extendable mirrors? The trailer is wider than your truck?

rmkrum 08-04-2017 03:06 PM

My 20-year-old daughter and I (at least 3x older) and I installed our ProPride.

The only tools not listed in the ProPride manual I needed was a 250-foot-pound torque wrench, a bottle jack and a floor jack to do the heavy lifting. If you follow the manual carefully, it can be done in an hour or two.

Most dealers have absolutely NO clue how to do it right. They tend to skip steps, get stuff upside down, etc.

If you are the least bit handy, read the manual carefully, call Sean with any questions (yes, he actually answers the phone) and do it yourself...

It's a great product, and causes great peace of mind when you are towing in the wind, heavy traffic, etc. I live in Victorville, and spend a lot of time in Corona, so getting up and down the Cajon pass was what made me decide on a ProPride hitch system...

And yeah, dittos on the cut the corner problem. The ProPride makes the trailer appear to pivot about roughly the center of your tow vehicle rear axle (like a fifth wheel setup)--it goes real far, real fast to the INSIDE of any turn you make. Feel it out carefully in a HUGE, EMPTY parking lot to get a sense of the handling--it does not pivot at the ball with these setups...but it surely will NOT sway...

weirdstuff 08-04-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1988482)
Their website says they do have a service department capable of extensive maintenance and repairs.

They are part of Airstream Orange County and Airstream LA, so those are the service departments they're referring to. But the Inland Empire location, is just a parking lot full of Airstreams, and an office.

Was hoping someone in that area could personally recommend a place that could do the install.

Otherwise, appreciate the tips on towing, and making right hand turns! Will def spend a bunch of time in a parking lot, practicing!

Our truck doesn't have extendable mirrors. We are looking at getting detachable tow mirrors.

slowmover 08-04-2017 04:39 PM

You'd be much better off with factory mirrors.

weirdstuff 08-04-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 1988577)
You'd be much better off with factory mirrors.

Thanks. We'll look at all options.

charlesk 08-05-2017 12:01 PM

Vinnie has a great mobile RV service for Airstream. I'm pretty sure that he has done several ProPride installs. Not sure how much he would charge you to drive to your location. He does GREAT work.

http://www.vinniesairstream.com/

Tom_T 08-05-2017 12:05 PM

What is the gross weight rating of that 23FB at nowadays?

Your F150 needs one of the tow options in order to go above the basic 5000 lb. limit.

Also, if your 23FB tops out gross at 6000# or less, then you can save $1000+/- by going with the Hensley Cub ("Arrow Jr.") which is for shorter trailers under 6K & max 600# tongue wt. They're usually $1500-1800 & less for a reconditioned one (still comes with lifetime warranty if from Hensley). It's the same 3P design as the PP, & will work then same. I suggest paying more for the screw jacks to adjust the tension bars, unless you're young & never plan to age!

We got a Cub for our 1960 Avion T20 vintage kin since it's only about 3000-3500# wet & loaded & is 542# with the Cub on there (adds 160# to HW, PP will add 180# IIRC).

I installed the Cub by myself - & I was 61 then in 2013 - & you can probably do either a Cub or PP yourself at home easily too.

So long as your F150 has the tow mode with built in sway control & is rated or optioned to tow the weight of your AS, then you should be okay for towing it home to install yourself, or to a qualified trailer shop in Temecula area (someone will know one).

I towed our Avion 800+ miles from Albuquerque with an F150 base truck 4x with the tow mode & automatic anti-sway just fine, but kept the speed below 55-65 mph. I-15 is no big deal down to wherever in San Diego you live, so just keep it in tow mode, being very cautious & alert, & at 55 mph - & you should be fine.

As for towing mirrors, as another option to changing out to the Ford extendable tow mirrors - Hensley also sells the McKesh towing mirrors which you can mount on the doors when towing.

I got these for when towing with a smaller mid-sized SUV (we've rented both 2013 Nissan Pathfinders, & 2012-2017 F150/250, until we find the Cayenne S we like).

Be Safe!
Tom
///////

Tom_T 08-05-2017 12:08 PM

What is the gross weight rating of that 23FB at nowadays?

Your F150 needs one of the tow options in order to go above the basic 5000 lb. limit.

Also, if your 23FB tops out gross at 6000# or less, then you can save $1000+/- by going with the Hensley Cub ("Arrow Jr.") which is for shorter trailers under 6K & max 600# tongue wt. They're usually $1500-1800 & less for a reconditioned one (still comes with lifetime warranty if from Hensley). It's the same 3P design as the PP, & will work then same. I suggest paying more for the screw jacks to adjust the tension bars, unless you're young & never plan to age!

We got a Cub for our 1960 Avion T20 vintage kin since it's only about 3000-3500# wet & loaded & is 542# with the Cub on there (adds 160# to HW, PP will add 180# IIRC).

I installed the Cub by myself - & I was 61 then in 2013 - & you can probably do either a Cub or PP yourself at home easily too.

https://hensleymfg.com/products/the-hensley-cub/

https://hensleymfg.com/product-categ...ntrol-hitches/

https://hensleymfg.com/

So long as your F150 has the tow mode with built in sway control & is rated or optioned to tow the weight of your AS, then you should be okay for towing it home to install yourself, or to a qualified trailer shop in Temecula area (someone will know one).

I towed our Avion 800+ miles from Albuquerque with an F150 base truck 4x with the tow mode & automatic anti-sway just fine, but kept the speed below 55-65 mph. I-15 is no big deal down to wherever in San Diego you live, so just keep it in tow mode, being very cautious & alert, & at 55 mph - & you should be fine.

As for towing mirrors, as another option to changing out to the Ford extendable tow mirrors - Hensley also sells the McKesh towing mirrors which you can mount on the doors when towing.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/mckes...owing-mirrors/

I got these for when towing with a smaller mid-sized SUV (we've rented both 2013 Nissan Pathfinders, & 2012-2017 F150/250, until we find the Cayenne S we like).

Be Safe!
Tom
///////

weirdstuff 08-05-2017 01:17 PM

Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Very much appreciated.

weirdstuff 08-05-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesk (Post 1988916)
Vinnie has a great mobile RV service for Airstream. I'm pretty sure that he has done several ProPride installs. Not sure how much he would charge you to drive to your location. He does GREAT work.

http://www.vinniesairstream.com/

Oh darn. I just looked him up. He's way up in the SF Bay area. I'm waaayyyy down in the lower lefthand corner in San Diego!