Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Can you ID this Fuse? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/can-you-id-this-fuse-170270.html)

Hans627 07-23-2017 05:35 PM

Can you ID this Fuse?
 
1 Attachment(s)
After buying our AS I found this fuse in a cabinet. I don't know what it is used for and there was no ID on the box in which it was located.

Can anyone ID this fuse and tell me where it would be used? It is 12V10W.

Thanks!

OTRA15 07-23-2017 05:40 PM

Looks like a standard 10 watt 12-volt fuse that fits in a standard inline fuse holder. If you think it relates to your AS I would suggest buying a small box of them at the auto parts store. [5 or so]

It probably does not go to your lift jack, but you might want to find that inline fuse near the jack head, and make sure you have extras. This is often a Slo-blow 30 amp, and threads on this type are here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Slow...com&gws_rd=ssl

Your jack may take a different fuse BTW.

Your owner's manual should have most of the fuses listed in the back in the Specifications section. No harm in buying a bunch of extras. Amazon has generic fuse assortments as collections for not much cost. Good to have extras when needed.

Good luck!

Peter

overlander63 07-23-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans627 (Post 1982353)
After buying our AS I found this fuse in a cabinet. I don't know what it is used for and there was no ID on the box in which it was located.

Can anyone ID this fuse and tell me where it would be used? It is 12V10W.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse. Check your fridge for a spot where a light bulb would go.

ITSNO60 07-23-2017 05:50 PM

Yes that is a 12 volt incandescent lamp, common to the ones that used to be in overhead dome lights. Every VW had one of those in the dome light. A fuse is rated in amps, lamps (or bulbs if you must) are rated in watts.

Hans627 07-23-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 1982356)
I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse. Check your fridge for a spot where a light bulb would go.

So you think it's a light bulb. I'll check the fridge tomorrow. I thought is was a too big to be a fuse but wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Hans627 07-23-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1982355)
Looks like a standard 10 watt 12-volt fuse that fits in a standard inline fuse holder. If you think it relates to your AS I would suggest buying a small box of them at the auto parts store. [5 or so]

It probably does not go to your lift jack, but you might want to find that inline fuse near the jack head, and make sure you have extras. This is often a Slo-blow 30 amp, and threads on this type are here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Slow...com&gws_rd=ssl

Your jack may take a different fuse BTW.

Your owner's manual should have most of the fuses listed in the back in the Specifications section. No harm in buying a bunch of extras. Amazon has generic fuse assortments as collections for not much cost. Good to have extras when needed.

Good luck!

Peter

It is not the jack fuse. I just went through an ordeal finding 30A slo blo fuses so I know what they look like. This is much bigger in dia. than the 30A fuse. It was suggested that it might be a light bulb for the fridge. I'll check tomorrow.

But thanks for the suggestions!

mayco 07-23-2017 06:28 PM

It's definitely a 12v light bulb, just like the one I replaced in my fridge.

OTRA15 07-23-2017 06:35 PM

Good to know thanks!

mayco 07-23-2017 06:43 PM

I had never run across one before until replacing the one in my fridge....it looks very similar to a glass fuse

rmkrum 07-23-2017 10:05 PM

That's a European style light bulb, not a fuse. It fits in a pair of clips or springs on each end. The comments about bulbs specified in volts and watts is absolutely correct.

ITSNO60 07-23-2017 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep pretty sure my old Mercedes diesel has them in the dome lights too

SSquared 07-24-2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans627 (Post 1982353)
After buying our AS I found this fuse in a cabinet. I don't know what it is used for and there was no ID on the box in which it was located.

Can anyone ID this fuse and tell me where it would be used? It is 12V10W.

Thanks!

And an interesting fact about many RV fridges: The service manual for my fridge says the light bulb is sometimes turned on for the purpose of heating the inside of the fridge! Here's why: In cool conditions, it could go a long time without running the cooling system. Then the freezer compartment would start to thaw. So they use a timer and if it has been too long without running the cooling, they turn on the bulb so the fridge compartment will warm up. That triggers the cooling. (this is in the service manual for the Dometic RM3762 that came standard in my 2013 25FB)

By the way, you can find an LED to replace that one when it burns out, but because of the heating function, an LED is not such a good idea.

Hans627 07-24-2017 11:29 AM

It is most definitely the bulb for the Dometic fridge. I checked it this morning and it is a direct replacement for the bulb that is in there now.

Thanks for helping me ID this item!

Hans627 07-24-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquared (Post 1982526)
And an interesting fact about many RV fridges: The service manual for my fridge says the light bulb is sometimes turned on for the purpose of heating the inside of the fridge! Here's why: In cool conditions, it could go a long time without running the cooling system. Then the freezer compartment would start to thaw. So they use a timer and if it has been too long without running the cooling, they turn on the bulb so the fridge compartment will warm up. That triggers the cooling. (this is in the service manual for the Dometic RM3762 that came standard in my 2013 25FB)

By the way, you can find an LED to replace that one when it burns out, but because of the heating function, an LED is not such a good idea.

This is another thing I did not know. If I live long enough maybe I will be "one day smart" like the PA Dutch folks are fond of saying!

rmkrum 07-24-2017 12:25 PM

The other saying is "Too soon old, too late smart..."

bwoodtx 07-24-2017 12:38 PM

That bulb also goes in the wardrobe closet light fixture.

Bgibbs 07-24-2017 01:34 PM

The proper name is "festoon" bulb. Very common on German cars.

Hans627 07-24-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoodtx (Post 1982732)
That bulb also goes in the wardrobe closet light fixture.

Just for informational purposes for others, this bulb is not used in the wardrobe closet on my 2009 International FB. The light fixture used in the closet is the same as the one in the shower and the front storage compartment.

Of course other AS are different!

supercubep 07-25-2017 10:56 AM

Light bulb!

richw46 07-25-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bgibbs (Post 1982765)
The proper name is "festoon" bulb. Very common on German cars.

Also common on the bow mounted red/green navigation light on boats. It's fairly common in the dome light of many brands of cars, foreign and domestic. Expensive little buggers too.:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.