Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Base Camp (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/)
-   -   Simple Survey on Fridge Performance While on Propane (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/simple-survey-on-fridge-performance-while-on-propane-169937.html)

TroyH 11-21-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2182252)
Or a THOR shareholders' action?

"Interestingly" . . . previously vocal folks, with well-documented BC fridge problems, seem to have clammed up when quoted in the last few months and asked for an update. [IMO]

Hmmmm . . . .

Have they agreed to stay mum for some reason?

:blink::wally::blink:

PS -- randsfl, thanks for the report, and sorry for your troubles.

OTRA15, I sympathize with your frustration. Iíve had a few QC issues with my Basecamp and I fixed them (and had fun doing it). I wish I had a solution to this problem.

You could affect Airstream financially by selling your Thor stock, hiring a lawyer to sue Airstream or selling your Basecamp. Or you could work on a solution to fix the problem, possibly with others who also have the problem. I know several people have tried with varying levels of success. But if there isnít a viable solution, Iím not sure what you expect Airstream to do.

I donít have a refrigerator problem, probably because I donít live in a hot climate. Thatís why I have ďstayed mumĒ, not because Airstream has paid me or threatened me. I find it offensive and insulting that you keep suggesting that weíre all in a conspiracy with Airstream. Can you please stop doing that?

Trae and Ann 11-21-2018 05:29 PM

We had issues with our refrigerator... had it worked on 3 times and yes it was frustrating at the time and I am now happy that it seems to be fixed so my hypothesis is that maybe other people have had some success as well getting it sorted out and that is all there is to that. We have been out probably 6 times in varying degrees from Texas heat to Tennessee fall weather and not had any further problems.Since we were pretty vocal thru the process on this forum I can guarantee there was no conspiracy involved. It just hasnít been any more of an issue for us. We were very diligent to with keeping an eye on the temperature, taking photos, and working with our dealer and it worked out in the end. But I can definitely say there was no hush money involved:)
Happy camping!! Getting ready to head out with my fridge stocked :)
Anyone else having issues just keep a good log, talk to the techs,and be persistent. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!!!

BC18 11-22-2018 12:59 PM

Fridge fan is blocked by propane/storage box. My dealer removed the box, cut a clean rectangular hole and reattached the box. Air flow was the problem. Works great now.

Bborzell 11-23-2018 01:44 PM

Hush money? Where is mine?

I have not posted on this topic because I simply decided to move on. My fridge works well as long as there is no heat outside. Above 80 and it is a food killer. Always has been and I see no reason to believe that Airstreamís decision to nibble around the edges of a fundamental design flaw will ever make things better.

This is easily my biggest RV screwup. I bought into a company that wonít admit that a serious design error is the culprit. The many years that I have looked to Airstream as a company that values their reputation came to an abrupt stop with this experience. How any RV company can sit by and ignore the reality of their customerís ruined trips because of ruined food is beyond any notion of corporate responsibility.

After nearly two years, none of their tweaks have been effective because they can not overcome the near constant buildup of heat beneath the countertop. This has not been a failure of prescription; it is an abject failure of diagnosis.

The unfortunate reality is that Airstream can count. They know that many Basecamp buyers live is regions where consistent temps above 80 are not all that frequent. They also know that many buyers will not temp check their food and that ignorance is bliss until you start throwing up and/or having diarrhea. As long as Airstream continues to view those of us who have lived with the reality of their design killing our food whenever it gets warm outside, I see no change on the horizon.

Actually, my money is on Airstream waiting until the majority of the warranties expire and then following with a significant design change that adequately vents fridge heat. Better yet, they will quite possibly begin to fit compressor fridges.

The real irony is that Airstream might well have fixed all these issues by swapping out the absorption units with compressors as soon as it became apparent that they could not adequately vent the absorption fridges. That would have been a lot cheaper than the cost of 6 or so trips to the dealer (including one to the factory) that were useless. I wish that they had rather directed the tech time and useless parts toward me with an offer of a compressor fridge that works. Oh BTW, I didnít rely on wishing, I asked for a compressor swap and was told by the dealer that Airstream would not agree to such a swap, but they would consider giving me another absorption unit (so that I could start a new chapter of this nightmare).

OTRA15 11-23-2018 02:00 PM

Thanks for the update, well said!

Peter

uncle_bob 11-23-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC18 (Post 2182687)
Fridge fan is blocked by propane/storage box. My dealer removed the box, cut a clean rectangular hole and reattached the box. Air flow was the problem. Works great now.

Hi

Structurally, it would be better to drill a series of 1/2" to 1" holes (non-overlapping) than to do a rectangular cut. With enough holes, the air flow through them vs a rectangle would be virtually identical.

Bob

Mollysdad 11-23-2018 06:23 PM

My fridge works great!
It's the larger one with the freezer on top. 7 CF?
Vents on the roof.
Seems to work equally well on gas or power.
Fridge stays 35-37.

uncle_bob 11-24-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollysdad (Post 2183005)
My fridge works great!
It's the larger one with the freezer on top. 7 CF?
Vents on the roof.
Seems to work equally well on gas or power.
Fridge stays 35-37.

Hi

Why am I thinking that you may not have read all 32 pages of the thread? :) :) :)

Bob

OTRA15 11-24-2018 08:31 AM

Why read the thread before posting?

:blink:

randsfl 11-25-2018 10:29 AM

First, I want to thank all the participants - especially the long-term ones for many ideas

Second, I have not been a good participant since I left on spring trip in April - and will try to stay more up to date

I am taking BC in for one last try - for me the frig does not work and the back door leaks - both chronic problems

What i would like to try to do is get some counts - and comments either here or private - from those BC owners that experienced frig problems

Do or did you have frig problem

Do you still have frig problem - after how many fixes or was it fixed by one of the numerous times it was serviced

Was it only fixed after frig replacement

If it was fixed one way or the other are you confident of the fix at this point and why

Thanks in advance to everyone

OTRA15 11-25-2018 03:27 PM

Why not start a new thread and make it a "Poll" per Janet's instructions? Having everything public would be very helpful IMO.

Peter

[click on orange arrow to go directly to this post]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 286094)
OK - to do a poll:
Start a new thread and when the editor box pops up scroll down a little and click on "go advanced".
Then fill out your thread title and ask your question.
Then scroll down a little and select "post a poll" . Follow the prompts.
If you mess up: a moderator can edit your poll or pull it so you start over.

PS -- There are a couple of tire threads which are also polls:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ll-157690.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-77069.html

uncle_bob 11-25-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2183107)
Why read the thread before posting?

Hi

It should be blindingly obvious by now that I never ever do so :)

Bob

abutters 01-17-2019 09:24 PM

We just picked up our 2019 Basecamp X and traveled 850 miles in two days with the fridge running on propane. I did not follow best practices meaning I did not pre-cool it with ice packs nor did I fill it with refrigerated food. We drove with it almost empty. Upon arriving home I immediately grabbed a digital thermometer and the placed it inside the fridge for 5 minutes. It read 37 degrees. I left the fridge running on propane overnight and this morning the thermometer read 33 degrees.
Our 2019 BCX was manufactured in September 2018 and still has the Dometic fridge. It does have the newly designed shroud over the propane tanks which allows for more ventilation of the fridge. According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.

OTRA15 01-17-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abutters (Post 2200972)
. . .
According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.

Very forward-thinking of them!

:innocent:

Thanks for the report -- assume you meant December 2018. Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

YoungishJedi 01-18-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2200983)
Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

I really hope they do. The fridge now cools but the temperature ranges are wildly inconsistent. On our trip last Summer from the Southwest, US to Whistler, CA we lost a fridge worth of food because of this. It would spoil during the day and the cool back down in the evening.

abutters 01-20-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2200983)
Very forward-thinking of them!

:innocent:

Thanks for the report -- assume you meant December 2018. Is Airstream going to replace all the old Dometic fridges under a general recall?

Yes I did mean December 2018 - thanks for catching that. I simply called the factory and asked and they were very forthright about past problems and fixes. And the technician at the dealer in Troy OH was also very upfront about fixes he had done on earlier model BC and how drastically different the design of our propane cover is compared to prior versions. So far so good but it isn't Summer yet so time will tell.

trd09 01-20-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

We just picked up our 2019 Basecamp X and traveled 850 miles in two days with the fridge running on propane. I did not follow best practices meaning I did not pre-cool it with ice packs nor did I fill it with refrigerated food. We drove with it almost empty. Upon arriving home I immediately grabbed a digital thermometer and the placed it inside the fridge for 5 minutes. It read 37 degrees. I left the fridge running on propane overnight and this morning the thermometer read 33 degrees.
Our 2019 BCX was manufactured in September 2018 and still has the Dometic fridge. It does have the newly designed shroud over the propane tanks which allows for more ventilation of the fridge. According to a conversation I had with Airstream prior to purchasing this unit, I was informed that in December of 2019 Airstream switched to a Norcold fridge in lieu of the Dometic.

What does the updated propane cover look like vs the old design?

abutters 01-20-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd09 (Post 2201712)
What does the updated propane cover look like vs the old design?

I'll post a picture to show what it looks like now. I have not seen the older design, but according to the technician the new design creates a couple more inches of space between the cover and the refrigerator vents.

abutters 01-21-2019 07:32 AM

Personally I would rather just install the self venting Engel model SR48F-U1 FRIDGE/FREEZER for $720 which runs on 12V and be done with it. We already travel with an Engel 40qt fridge/freezer for added capacity and the thing is awesome.

OTRA15 01-21-2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

. . .

What were the air temp and sun conditions for this fridge test please?

Thanks,

Peter

PS — Gail Miller, whose many posts helped highlight the BC fridge problems in this thread, has traded in her BC for an RV:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...rv-191374.html

See Post #3 [7/17/17] which was followed by dozens more.