Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Base Camp (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/)
-   -   Simple Survey on Fridge Performance While on Propane (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/simple-survey-on-fridge-performance-while-on-propane-169937.html)

Bborzell 09-07-2017 12:27 AM

We left home this morning with the fridge at 38 after all night on shore power. By noon we were driving in 85 degree heat and the fridge temp started rising above 40. By 3 pm, we hit 48.

We are now camping in Charlotte, Oregon just off the Pacific Ocean. Temp is in the 50s and the fridge is back on shore power. Won't be surprised to see the fridge back in the mid 30s in the am.

As for the proposed battery, fans and baffles fix, anyone who has been through the first "fan fix" knows that the fans that AS recommended were horribly loud. If you like to sleep, you might have to choose between sleep and a cold fridge.

I don't know why nobody at AS has not picked up on the existence of silent fans in the fan industry.

Bborzell 09-07-2017 05:11 AM

Meant to typa Charleston, Oregon.

Gail Miller 09-07-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Miller (Post 2005062)
What about cutting a hole in each side of the propane cover and adding a louvered vent?? Would be pretty easy to do. You could then glue and bolt it in place, with washers so the bolts wouldn't pull through the plastic.

Or ... could you take the black cover off and just put a vinyl cover over the tanks? https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2712-Sil...p?ie=UTF8&th=1

Bborzell 09-08-2017 01:28 PM

Been on the road fir two days. Started the fridge on 120v and pulled put at 38 degrees.

By the time we git to central Oregon, the outside temp rose to 80+. Fridge rose to 40.5. By 3pm, the outside temp was 87 anf the temp had gone to 48.

Hung a left at Roseburg and headed to the Pacific Coast. Ambient temp went down to high 60s and the fridge responded by heading back down to and below 40. By the time we hit the campground in Coos Bay, the fridge hit 38.

Drove to Astoria along the north Oregon coast at mid 60s the next day. Fridge stayed at 38. When we pulled into the campground, still on propane, the fridge was at 37.

This morning, after rain and low 60s and on 120v volt, the fridge was 36.

This is a cool weather fridge design.

camperguy58 09-08-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bborzell (Post 2005956)
Been on the road fir two days. Started the fridge on 120v and pulled put at 38 degrees.

By the time we git to central Oregon, the outside temp rose to 80+. Fridge rose to 40.5. By 3pm, the outside temp was 87 anf the temp had gone to 48.

Hung a left at Roseburg and headed to the Pacific Coast. Ambient temp went down to high 60s and the fridge responded by heading back down to and below 40. By the time we hit the campground in Coos Bay, the fridge hit 38.

Drove to Astoria along the north Oregon coast at mid 60s the next day. Fridge stayed at 38. When we pulled into the campground, still on propane, the fridge was at 37.

This morning, after rain and low 60s and on 120v volt, the fridge was 36.

This is a cool weather fridge design.

Bborzell,

Thanks for all the great info. You said you drive with the fridge on propane. Curious as to how you deal with the propane while driving. Do you stop outside of gas stations and turn it off/shut off the tanks? Any feedback on how to deal with the propane and driving is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

camperguy58 09-08-2017 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone us one of the fans inside the refrigerator? Attachment 294375 http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-airator/21016

Gail Miller 09-08-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camperguy58 (Post 2006063)
Anyone us one of the fans inside the refrigerator? Attachment 294375 http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-airator/21016

I tried it, it didn't help.

camperguy58 09-08-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Miller (Post 2006084)
I tried it, it didn't help.

Thanks. I figured that was one of the first things you all would have done. Does yours perform ok in cooler ambient temps? Like 60's or so?

OTRA15 09-08-2017 06:28 PM

At the risk of rubbing salt in your wounds, Band-aid solutions will not solve the problem of the BC fridge IMO.

Please consider consulting an attorney, and returning your units for a full refund, as the Basecamp is not "fit for the particular purpose" of boondocking, as Airstream represented it would be.

Best wishes,

Peter

[click on arrow in quote to see full 7/27 post]
Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1984313)
Needs a total redesign to get the fridge to one side, and ideally have a flue through the roof.
. . .
. . . The new BC is a classic example of too many designers trying to cram too much into a small space, without proper review and field testing.
. . .
:mad::wally::mad:

camperguy58 09-08-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2006092)
At the risk of rubbing salt in your wounds, Band-aid solutions will not solve the problem of the BC fridge IMO.

Please consider consulting an attorney, and returning your units for a full refund, as the Basecamp is not "fit for the particular purpose" of boondocking, as Airstream represented it would be.

Best wishes,

Peter

[click on arrow in quote to see full 7/27 post]

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. Did the dealer give you your money back or are you dealing with a lawyer?

Gail Miller 09-08-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camperguy58 (Post 2006088)
Thanks. I figured that was one of the first things you all would have done. Does yours perform ok in cooler ambient temps? Like 60's or so?

Nope ... mine has gotten cool with frozen Yeti ice blocks in it, but that's about it. Hot in Arkansas during the summer, so hard to tell what it will do in cooler ambient weather.

camperguy58 09-08-2017 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Miller (Post 2006123)
Nope ... mine has gotten cool with frozen Yeti ice blocks in it, but that's about it. Hot in Arkansas during the summer, so hard to tell what it will do in cooler ambient weather.

Thank you Gail,

So you help it along by treating it like an ice box, got it. Thanks for the idea.

Gail Miller 09-08-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camperguy58 (Post 2006129)
Thank you Gail,

So you help it along by treating it like an ice box, got it. Thanks for the idea.

Yep, it actually helped it pretty well to put the Yeti ice blocks in it. I just bought a Orca ice chest to augment my Yeti soft sided cooler. My dogs eat a frozen raw diet. :-)

OTRA15 09-08-2017 08:09 PM

Pat, we do not own a Basecamp, but would be seeking legal advice if we did.

Peter

camperguy58 09-08-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2006148)
Pat, we do not own a Basecamp, but would be seeking legal advice if we did.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

My apologies, I thought from your post that you had a BC.

camperguy58 09-08-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Miller (Post 2006146)
Yep, it actually helped it pretty well to put the Yeti ice blocks in it. I just bought a Orca ice chest to augment my Yeti soft sided cooler. My dogs eat a frozen raw diet. :-)

Gail,

Glad that worked for you. I don't have the heat to deal with as much, so maybe ice packs would work for me too. Thanks again.

Trae and Ann 09-08-2017 09:27 PM

We are dropping ours off in the morning to deal with some leaks and the fridge issue... in Texas so this is a must fix for all year camping. We camped all winter and early spring and the fridge was almost too cold but then here came the summer. No bueno. Fingers crossed hoping for the best. I LOVE our BC just need to get these last issues smoothed out and I will be happy. I hate the lawyer up and sue everyone mentality. As long as we are all working together to make this right I am good. [emoji4]

OTRA15 09-09-2017 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae and Ann (Post 2006170)
. . .
As long as we are all working together to make this right I am good.

If you would read this entire thread, plus the Basecamp Issues thread, you would be forced [IMO] to conclude that the BC has a basic design flaw which cannot be fixed by fans, baffles, vents, ports, etc. [for high-temperature boondocking at least].

Denial is a wide river to cross.

Yes, litigation and lawyering up is an unfortunate step, but in time you may see [again IMO] some kind of litigation about this SNAFU, which may include a Thor shareholders' suit for the sloppy design/testing that led to this unprofitable adventure.

BTW the fleet-wide axle recall will probably be part of any such suit. How could Airstream have sold so many units with such an obvious defect as the tires being so close to the wheel well trim, that they rubbed the trim?

Peter

uncle_bob 09-09-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 2006213)
If you would read this entire thread, plus the Basecamp Issues thread, you would be forced [IMO] to conclude that the BC has a basic design flaw which cannot be fixed by fans, baffles, vents, ports, etc. [for high-temperature boondocking at least].

Denial is a wide river to cross.

Yes, litigation and lawyering up is an unfortunate step, but in time you may see [again IMO] some kind of litigation about this SNAFU, which may include a Thor shareholders' suit for the sloppy design/testing that led to this unprofitable adventure.

BTW the fleet-wide axle recall will probably be part of any such suit. How could Airstream have sold so many units with such an obvious defect as the tires being so close to the wheel well trim, that they rubbed the trim?

Peter

Hi

Sad though it may be, in the modern world, calling in a lawyer is one of the few ways to really get the attention of a company. It may never come to a suit or a real court case. It is *very* likely to get more focus on solving the issue. If that "solution" is actually a full rebuild of the trailer, better the factory does the work ....

Like it or not, companies have very limited engineering resources. Those resources get scheduled / committed years in advance. Changing those schedules / commitments is a *lot* harder than it seems from the outside. I know that's not what people want to hear, but it's how a modern company (any company) operates. In this case, pushing out the introduction of the Atlas by a year to fiddle the Basecamp is *not* a trivial decision ....

Bob

swakyaby 09-09-2017 08:40 PM

New 2018 basecamp owner here, but have not yet taken delivery. Received a message from AS advisor yesterday that a "procedure" for repair of the basecamp refrigerator has not yet been approved by Airstream and I would be notified when AS has done so. I was assured that the refrigerator modification would be completed when I take delivery (whenever that is!). This is from Bay Area Airstream Adventures, the now largest Airstream dealer in the nation.