Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Street side awnings (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/street-side-awnings-169663.html)

Scoot 07-11-2017 08:13 AM

Street side awnings

I have a general question I'm hoping some of you can give your opinions on. We are about to purchase a new Flying Cloud. It, of course, will have an awning on the curb side but I was wondering if it is worthwhile to purchase the additional awning on the street side and rear to help keep the inside cool. I would think closing the blinds would keep the sun out and help keep the interior cool just as much as the additional awning would so I don't know if the additional expense is justified. I would be happy with the curb side awning only since that is the side we will be spending our outside time on. But I would like to hear from those of you who have the experience of multiple awnings to see if it makes that much of a difference. Thanks in advance.

lsbrodsky 07-11-2017 08:16 AM

Makes a big difference! It is not just the window but keeping the sun off the trailer definitely keeps it cooler.
Larry

polarlyse 07-11-2017 08:32 AM

Another YES here. Our first AS did not have them. The current one does and we can notice a big difference. Get them if you can and use them. You won't be sorry. Don't forget the rear window also.

moosetags 07-11-2017 08:33 AM

We have had two 25FB's since 2005, and have spent over 1,800 nights in them. We feel that the street side and rear awnings are well worth the investment from both a practical and esthetic standpoint. They do keep the trailer cooler in the warm weather. We feel that they also make looking out from the inside more pleasant. We use our awnings year round.

When we purchased our 2015, it did not have the awning package. within the first year, we took her to Jackson Center, and had the awnings installed. We always put the small awning out, even when Lucy is parked at home.

Brian

RamblinManGa 07-11-2017 09:10 AM

Hi from AZ. . . the street side awning helps a lot with keeping refrig cool, by shading over it......worth the dineros !.......regards, Craig

The Naker 07-11-2017 09:28 AM

Another strong vote for having the street side and rear awnings. In addition to the cooling effect, we find them very useful for leaving windows open during the rain (even when we leave the trailer for a few hours). These awnings shed rain easily and aren't as affected by wind.

TravlinMan 07-11-2017 09:39 AM

Huge difference. Get em.

I love my extra awnings I just wish my main curb side awning was manual like the street and back ones.

John&Vicki 07-11-2017 10:49 AM

I'm with the consensus here. We have awnings on three sides and are really pleased the trailer came with them. Aside from the practical benefits they really add to the ambience. Very cozy.

John

Mollysdad 07-11-2017 11:44 AM

The benefit of the awning package far outweighs the cost.
Closing the blinds means the Sun already got through the glass.
Anytime you make shade, it's good.

rmkrum 07-11-2017 11:54 AM

Absolutely worth it. Have three manual awnings on three sides. Can easily manage heat if you bring your own shade. Manual deployment takes a bit of practice but less to go wrong.

Scoot 07-11-2017 12:01 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. It would seem the consensus is positive for the extra awnings. Looks like I will be taking all your advice and ordering them on the new trailer. Thanks again for the great advice.

A W Warn 07-11-2017 12:04 PM

My Excella has awnings all around. My Safari only has one awning on the curb side. I can really tell the difference in the heat gain between the two trailers when parked in the sun.

Another bonus, the awnings on the street side extend out about 3' and shed water well, so they will not collapse in the rain. This allows me to leave the street side windows open when it rains.

gypsydad 07-11-2017 12:34 PM

nite and day difference...don't need at nite! LoL

First 2 25' AS's did not have awning package on street side nor rear. Last 2 they came equipped with the package. We notice big difference in keeping the AS cooler. Yes, I would recommend you get them; will also increase value when you sell and move up!:lol: