Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   When to replace tires (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/when-to-replace-tires-168520.html)

larrysun 06-18-2017 06:48 PM

When to replace tires

Hi everyone. My tires on my trailer is about 5 years old. They have only 5,000 miles on them and look like they are in great shape. I know they are getting old but I don't know if they should be replaced due to the age of the tire?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

DryFly 06-18-2017 06:56 PM

Most if not all manufacturers of trailer tires (marked "ST") will tell you to replace after 5-7 years, the exact time depends on the manufacturer. Mileage is irrelevant. Look on the tire to determine the date of manufacture and replace accordingly.

mbubbaca 06-18-2017 07:13 PM

Replace them. 5 Years is max, it's age not miles that matter.

dkottum 06-18-2017 07:26 PM

I replaced my original Good Year Marathons after two years because we were doing extensive traveling, and they have a reputation for sudden failure beyond that time. I installed Michelin tires and they are on a ten year plan, keeping them protected from the sun by covers whenever not rolling. Four years of extensive travel and protection they look like new, Minnesota summers and Arizona winters have been kind to them.

To place a time limit on tires used on a trailer solely based on years is a waste of money. And good for tire mfg's and sellers.

uncle_bob 06-18-2017 08:45 PM

Hi

Go on the web and see how to read the date codes on your tires. My AS is brand new, just delivered. The tires on it are just about 10 months old. (It sat on the lot for a while ...). I would start the clock on the tires from today. The real clock has been running for almost a year now.

Bob

switz 06-18-2017 08:54 PM

Five years is the suggested maximum for "ST" tires. I have had "ST" tires delaminate in three years in Arizona with no mileage on them.

cwf 06-18-2017 08:54 PM

Yesterday or today should be ok.

tjdonahoe 06-18-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1965109)
I replaced my original Good Year Marathons after two years because we were doing extensive traveling, and they have a reputation for sudden failure beyond that time. I installed Michelin tires and they are on a ten year plan, keeping them protected from the sun by covers whenever not rolling. Four years of extensive travel and protection they look like new, Minnesota summers and Arizona winters have been kind to them.

To place a time limit on tires used on a trailer solely based on years is a waste of money. And good for tire mfg's and sellers.

The michelins on our Buick weather checked at 5 years, 60,000 miles, my ram's BF Goodrich started to crack at 5 years , 72,000 miles ,also both vehicles are kept in a garage when not using, after about 2004 the rubber compounds were changed, keep your eye on them...:D

PKI 06-18-2017 09:12 PM

I am convinced that GYMs were of significantly poor quality at one point in time. When that improved is the question. A 2013/14 manufacture date seems to be about that point in time, but it may have been slightly later. I really don't know. My choice was to replace the GYMs when they were two years old and had about 20K miles. Your tires are old enough, that I would replace them immediately.

Generally, I do not feel that preventive replacement of tires is a waste of my money. Blowouts result in lost time, loss of use, and the cost for replacement and repairs. Only you can determine how much the prevention of these losses is worth to you.

Folks have suggested tires can be used for ten years. Others have expressed anecdotal experience of blowouts in the first year. Do your research and figure out what is best for you and your towing lifestyle.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/

Travel safe. Pat

uncle_bob 06-19-2017 07:17 AM

Hi

There are an enormous number of variables when it comes to tires. Temperature (both use and storage) matters. Sunlight exposure matters. The mix of rubber they used that week matters. What I get on this set may well not be what you get on a similar set.

One thing to do on any "new" set of tires you buy - check the date codes *before* they go on your car or truck. Some of this odd sized stuff sits in inventory for a *long* time. Your "five years" may have four years run out before the tires ever go on your trailer .... Indeed, if you are stuck with no spare and a blown tire - you have no choice. If you are out shopping for replacement tires, you very much do have a choice.

Bob

pappy19 06-19-2017 01:07 PM

As soon as possible, and might I suggest you replace them with Michelin LT E rated truck tires Defenders.

Streamracer 06-19-2017 01:16 PM

A few years back I was due new tires. We had one more short trip planned for the year and I thought I could make it and replace them the following spring. We'll as fate would have it I blew out a front tire and the second tire lost all the tread, but never went flat. It tore out the bottom of both closets and several items were lost or destroyed down I 75. Was not fun and repairs were costly. If you know they need changed, I'd change them. Cheaper in the long run.

Betty Farmer 06-19-2017 02:53 PM

Of all the good comments above, plz listen to Stream racer. We have used an individual tire person for many years with our heavy equipment. He checked the Airstreams tires, that were less than 2 years old - and approved them. One blew, causing over $3000. in damage. They were actually trailer tires.

You do know that you need to use tires specific to trailers, I hope. Good luck.

Lumatic 06-19-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1965109)
I I installed Michelin tires and they are on a ten year plan, keeping them protected from the sun by covers whenever not rolling.

What is this ten year plan based on?