Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   wheel rim size (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/wheel-rim-size-165147.html)

intyme13 04-10-2017 02:45 PM

wheel rim size

1 Attachment(s)
hi. can anyone share their thoughts of Attachment 283130trading up from 15" wheels to 16" wheels? we have a 2013 27 ft flying cloud.

Wingeezer 04-10-2017 02:58 PM

Thoughts in what way?

I think most of us make the change simply in order to put an adequate capacity LT tire on the trailer in lieu of the ST tire. That was my reason.

My only slight concern was whether there might be some clearance issues but since others had made the change on the same model trailer as mine I assumed all would be well - and it has been.

I've been very happy with the Michelin LT tires so far.

The only reason Iswitched was due to the seemingly increasing evidence that major tire problems leading to trailer damage would be less likely than with the original Marathon ST tires I had. (I did experience delamination and trailer damage with Marathons on a previous trailer, so I was happy to make the switch after monitoring the forum on this subject for quite a while.

Apart from having no problems with the LT tires after four major trips (over 4000 miles each) and a few shorter ones, there have also been a couple of other smaller side benefits.

I never seem to need to add air, whereas I was forever topping up the Marathons - no idea if others have found this.

My impression is that the new LT tires are wearing much more slowly than my previous ST tires. They still look brand new, whereas the last set of ST tires I had (Towmax) seemed to wear very quickly and in a manner that made me suspect I might have an alignment problem. Now that wear pattern is no longer there. Seems strange.

Not sure what else you were interested in with respect to 16" vs 15"?

intyme13 04-10-2017 04:22 PM

thanks so much. very helpful

woodfox45 04-10-2017 05:16 PM

Goodyear has a new 15" Tire called Endurance they are E rated and N speed rated (87mph.)
They are Trailer tires and cost around $120. ea. that would save buying new wheels . I had Michelins on my previous Airstream and was happy with them but may consider the Goodyears this time and they are US made .

intyme13 04-10-2017 05:19 PM

thanks. been looking at the Endurance. so far a very long wait for those/backordered. but may be worth it

SteveSueMac 04-10-2017 05:38 PM

First - the pair of dogs in the door is the best!

As to your question - I've done the 15" Michelin on my 2012 27FB - lots of threads here on this but the short story is - the 15" version is NOT an LT tire, it's a P tire and if used on a trailer has to be "de-rated" to 1985#/tire (or 7940# capacity on 4 tires). Mine weighs in at 6000# loaded for camping so even derated, I have about 25% spare headroom on them.

They've served me very well - no complaints - but - depending on the reviews on the new Goodyear Endurance ST (GYEs as opposed to GYMs for Marathons), I will likely go with those when I'm ready to swap out. We'll see. For now anyway, the 15" Michelin worked for me and no wheel upgrade required.

intyme13 04-10-2017 07:18 PM

Thank you for your info nice to know there are options

intyme13 04-10-2017 07:24 PM

and thanks for the dane comment! our traveling companions!