Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   EasyStart Install -- in One Image (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/easystart-install-in-one-image-165115.html)

thiel 04-09-2017 09:46 PM

EasyStart Install -- in One Image

1 Attachment(s)
Gang,

I installed my Micro-Air Easy Start today. Though handy with woodworking and carpentry, I have not a clue when it comes to electronics like this, so if I can do it, you can too.

I'm prepping a lengthy and detailed overview of the installation, but until that's ready, I offer the following:

1) took me about an hour, using a screwdriver, wire stripper, wire cutters, an 8mm socket driver, a crimper, and a utility knife.

2) the results are as advertised, and I tested my AC using ECO mode on a Honda eu2000i (non a companion) and it fired right up without any trouble.

3) Matteo from MicroAir has posted detailed installation instructions which I hope to augment for the "non-elecrtimacal" among us, but the included photo here tells me pretty everything I needed to know, so I hope it's helpful to some folks.

(For future reference: I have a 2016 25FB International Signature Twin, with a single 15,000 BTU air conditioner.)

wulfraat 04-09-2017 10:34 PM

Nice. When you first ran the AC using the EasyStart, did you use shoreline 15amp, 20amp or 30amp service? Or did you use your honda generator?

thiel 04-09-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 1934177)
Nice. When you first ran the AC using the EasyStart, did you use shoreline 15amp, 20amp or 30amp service? Or did you use your honda generator?

For the first five "learning" starts, I used a heavy extension cord plugged into an outlet on the outside of my house. That outlet is on a 20amp circuit.

I asked Matteo if it's okay to use a household connection like this (not 30 amp) and he said it was no problem.

wulfraat 04-09-2017 11:28 PM

Cool thanks I'm installing mine this weekend and was wondering if 20amp service would be ok.

STREMN 04-10-2017 04:53 AM

Thiel - Thanks for the helpful info and the All-in One Photo! Doesn't appear to be a tough task.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 1934188)
Cool thanks I'm installing mine this weekend and was wondering if 20amp service would be ok.

Wulfraat - I've got an older AC like yours - I'd be interested to see some photos of how your install goes. Seems as though the installs should all be about the same...just don't know what the real estate looks like inside our older units.

Tom

GettinAway 04-10-2017 06:43 AM

Thanks for the pic. I doubt it will be the same AC as on a 2011 23FC, but who knows? I look forward to your detailed install thread.
Thx

wulfraat 04-10-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STREMN (Post 1934203)
Wulfraat - I've got an older AC like yours - I'd be interested to see some photos of how your install goes. Seems as though the installs should all be about the same...just don't know what the real estate looks like inside our older units.

Tom

Roger that, stay tuned.... Just serviced the carburetor on my Honda eu2000i so she is ready to roll under load :)

Troutboy 04-10-2017 10:49 AM

When I installed mine, I also used 20amp shore/house power for the learning. Interesting thing happened this weekend. I finished the install of my lithium battery set.

It was in the high 70's at the house Saturday, I had to go to a few kids events. As I was programming and cleaning up, I had the AC on from shore power. I left in a hurry and was charging the batteries of shore power/inverter.

I got about 30 minutes down the road and realized I left the AC on and didn't want it on. I called wife and asked her to pull the shore power plug, thinking the AC wouldn't work!

When I got home, the AC was on, but the shore power plug was was unplugged! Turns out the AC was running for 5 hours on the lithium batteries (with solar charging). 320 amp hour, the batteries were down from 98% to 26%!!!

Anyway another data point, running Ac with solar and batteries with easy start.

SCOTTinNJ 04-10-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutboy (Post 1934299)
When I installed mine, I also used 20amp shore/house power for the learning. Interesting thing happened this weekend. I finished the install of my lithium battery set.

It was in the high 70's at the house Saturday, I had to go to a few kids events. As I was programming and cleaning up, I had the AC on from shore power. I left in a hurry and was charging the batteries of shore power/inverter.

I got about 30 minutes down the road and realized I left the AC on and didn't want it on. I called wife and asked her to pull the shore power plug, thinking the AC wouldn't work!

When I got home, the AC was on, but the shore power plug was was unplugged! Turns out the AC was running for 5 hours on the lithium batteries (with solar charging). 320 amp hour, the batteries were down from 98% to 26%!!!

Anyway another data point, running Ac with solar and batteries with easy start.

Wow! You almost fried those batteries!

Troutboy 04-10-2017 12:21 PM

They are good to go down to 20%, and I believe the system would shut down..... at least I hope, lol. Would have been a sad day at the homestead.

pcskier 04-10-2017 06:19 PM

Any Downside?

Just starting to learn about the Easy Start solution. Why on earth would anyone buy a 2nd Honda 2000i for $1,000, rather than just install this sub $400 part that allows AC to run on one generator? And makes it much more likely you can run AC off a 20 amp circuit at home.

Is there a downside that I'm not aware of? Seems to be a no-brainer if not.

Troutboy 04-10-2017 06:45 PM

No brainer, especially with the $50 discount offered to members of this forum.

SeaLevel 04-10-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiel (Post 1934168)
I'm prepping a lengthy and detailed overview of the installation, but until that's ready...

Please include how to remove the AC shroud. Thanks.

pcskier 04-10-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutboy (Post 1934525)
No brained, especially with the $50 discount offered to members of this forum.

Wait, what? I was toying with ordering one online--how to get the discount?

Thanks a ton for this info. I'm not even sure I'll need it, but it'll be good to know it's there should I be boondocking in southern utah this spring and decide to cool things out. And a huge advantage I see is being able to plug into home outlets when moochdocking and not blowing breakers with the AC.

I wonder why Dometic doesn't just incorporate this into their units?

This thing seems too good to be true:clap:

Troutboy 04-10-2017 06:55 PM

When you order, use th code AIRSTREAM, I think it's also posted further up in this thread or another one....

pcskier 04-10-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutboy (Post 1934532)
When you order, use th code AIRSTREAM, I think it's also posted further up in this thread or another one....

Indeed!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...er-164625.html

Meanwhile...is it worth ordering the "parts kit" for 10 bucks to save a trip to Home Depot, or is it literally like $2 worth of stuff? Getting nit-picky I know...

wulfraat 04-10-2017 08:53 PM

I ordered the parts kit - saves time and frustration :)

I agree this device is a no brainer :)

pcskier 04-10-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfraat (Post 1934570)
I ordered the parts kit - saves time and frustration :)

I agree this device is a no brainer :)

Just ordered both. Stoked!

GettinAway 04-11-2017 07:09 AM

Thiel,
Please post here when you post your install thread. Otherwise I might miss it. Ha
As noted above, please post how you removed the AC cowling.
Thx!

lsbrodsky 04-11-2017 07:59 AM

The shroud removal is as easy as it gets. Four screws from the edges of the shroud, remove them and lift up. The shroud is a bit ungainly so be careful. I put a blanket over the skylight and then put the shroud down over it.

Larry