Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/)
-   -   How to raise my trailer (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/how-to-raise-my-trailer-164083.html)

VaTravelers 03-18-2017 08:27 AM

How to raise my trailer

This might seem like a dumb question but to change out my 4 15 inch GYMs to 4 16 inch Michelins how do I jack up my 28' trailer? Seems I have to get it up on each side so I can change out both on a side at a time. I don't want to over stress the frame or body by improper jacking.

tjdonahoe 03-18-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTravelers (Post 1924061)
This might seem like a dumb question but to change out my 4 15 inch GYMs to 4 16 inch Michelins how do I jack up my 28' trailer? Seems I have to get it up on each side so I can change out both on a side at a time. I don't want to over stress the frame or body by improper jacking.

I always place the jack between the tires inward and under the flange , I place a 8" x 3/8 x 3" piece of flat steel on top of jack so top of bottle jack is putting the pressure on the verticle flange and not bending the horzontial flange, the steel piece spreads the force out to a larger area, both wheels will come up.:D

OTRA15 03-18-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Your owner's manual should have instructions on this. A jack point is just behind each rear tire labeled with a sticker and arrow. If you want to change only one tire at a time, you can drive a single tire on each side up on a thick block of wood, so as to suspend the other tire in the air.

"Keep It Simple, Stu."

SSquared 03-18-2017 09:48 PM

Drive up on leveling blocks

Quote:

Since you have a dual axle AS, you don't need to jack it at all. Build a stack of leveling blocks and pull one wheel up on it. The other will lift of the ground. Change the tire, then pull the new tire up on the stack.

I have a bunch of plastic lego-type blocks. I find that a stack four-high is enough (except on unlevel ground once I needed five). When I got new tires this fall, I put a stack on each side of the trailer at the same time, so I could have two tires in the air at once.

I believe the 16 inch tires are about an inch bigger in diameter. So make sure you use enough blocks to ensure you have enough clearance to install the wheel with the taller tire.

TG Twinkie 03-18-2017 09:55 PM

Use the blocks as Ssquared

TG Twinkie 03-18-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TG Twinkie (Post 1924397)
Use the blocks as Ssquared

Says It's the safest way.

cabinetmaker 03-18-2017 10:06 PM

Serious damage can be done to the underbelly if jacks are not placed properly.

Like others have said...use blocks under the wheel in front or behind the one your removing and replacing.

jamieb1086 03-19-2017 02:20 PM

Just use Trailer Aid. No messing around with multiple blocks. Amazon has it.

RxGuy 03-19-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieb1086 (Post 1924673)
Just use Trailer Aid. No messing around with multiple blocks. Amazon has it.

What he said...

VT Wanderer 03-19-2017 05:33 PM

JaimieB has it right. If you have 2 axels, the Trailer Aid is a ramp that eliminates the need for a jack (that could cause major problems). 1st tire - 1. Loosen the bolts a bit while on the ground. 2. (if back tire is to be removed first) Put the Trailer Aid ramp in front of the front tire and roll forward up on the ramp. This lifts your rear tire off the ground. 3. Remove the rear tire and replace it with new tire. Put bolts on snuggly. 4. Roll backwards off the ramp 5. Fully tighten the bolts and check torque. 6. Continue similarly with the remaining tires. Check out YouTube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=755hmEWAW_c

VaTravelers 03-20-2017 05:01 PM

Thanks all for the responses. I have two sets of leveling blocks that will make the task easy and safe.