Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Community Polls (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232/)
-   -   Pretentious to only call it "Airstream" and offended by "camper"?? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232/pretentious-to-only-call-it-airstream-and-offended-by-camper-161096.html)

jholder 01-02-2017 08:16 PM

Pretentious to only call it "Airstream" and offended by "camper"??

Ok, ok. I can only admit and say this to you guys, but I cringe when people say "are you taking the camper out this weekend" or "camper" in general. Is that snobby and pretentious?? I mean, what other brand do people call it by name? We only call it "the Airstream." I've even grown fond of "trailer." But, "camper"?? Show some respect! :)

Wrapping up an 11 day trip with my wife and two young boys and happened through a big RV show yesterday and thought I'd be tempted. But, after looking at up to $500k RV's, I came out feeling even more content with my 27FB. I paid for it, I know it's history and it's just so easy. Plus, once you've had and AS, you're so spoiled by the quality.

Enjoying the night with the dripping of rain in Stone Mountain Georgia as we speak.

You guys have a great week and excuse my rambling....but I knew you could feel my pain. :)

jholder 01-02-2017 08:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 277571Attachment 277572Attachment 277573Attachment 277574Attachment 277575

A few great memories from this voyage.

Isuzusweet 01-02-2017 08:27 PM

I prefer to refer to my Classic Airstream motorhome as a "coach"; not a camper, RV or even a motorhome, but an Airstream coach.

I don't refer to a Supermarine Spitfire or Hawker Sea Fury as merely planes or a Rolls Royce Merlin or Griffin as just an engine. A Rolls-Royce or Bugatti is not just a car; they are all icons, including an Airstream. It's not pretentious, it's a fact.

Cheers
Tony

lewster 01-02-2017 08:49 PM

Several years ago I used to service a Prevost motor home ($1.5 million) for a nice gentleman from Maine. He owned the largest Ford dealership in the state and had FORD as a license plate on his toad.

Being a true Mainer, he would never refer to his Prevost as either a 'Prevost' or the preferred moniker of the moneyed set that owned them....a 'coach'. He always called it his 'campah' (camper) in his Maine dialect and would never refer to it as anything else.

What ever floats your boat!! :lol:

thiel 01-02-2017 09:05 PM

We had an old (1971) POS 17' camper with just a toilet and stove, no 12v, no hot water, no TV and we've been using that for the last couple years. Called that the camper. So far, the Airstream is also called "the camper"--but man are people surprised when they were expecting our old one!

Mike1997 01-02-2017 09:18 PM

In 1969 my Dad bought the first VW pop up camper in Georgia. It was a CAMPER.

In 1977 my grandfather bought a Superior Coachman. It was a COACH.

In 2015 I bought a diesel Airstream Landyacht. Everyone refers to it as "THE AIRSTREAM".

Needless to say, its not pretentious.....its just "THE AIRSTREAM" that garners attention where ever it goes. Most recently I was in a marina campground with American Eagle RV's on both sides of me. No one paid them any attention...but they always had questions/comments about "The Airstream" :)

ohmman 01-02-2017 09:58 PM

Gary Gulman has a related bit. It goes something like this:

"Rich people always call their cars by the make of the car. My brother's successful and rich. The other day, he said, 'oh, the Bimmer is in the shop so I had to take the Benz... <chuckle>' I like to play along, so I told him, 'well, the other day the Civic had a flat tire, so I had to take... the bus.'"

thiel 01-02-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmman (Post 1894476)
Gary Gulman has a related bit. It goes something like this:

"Rich people always call their cars by the make of the car. My brother's successful and rich. The other day, he said, 'oh, the Bimmer is in the shop so I had to take the Benz... <chuckle>' I like to play along, so I told him, 'well, the other day the Civic had a flat tire, so I had to take... the bus.'"

This reminds me of a quote from a friend of mind who was a fashion designer. He lamented going into high end stuff (furs) instead of stuff like underwear and jeans. He said:

"Sell to the classes, dine with the masses. Sell to the masses, dine with the classes."

The wealthiest people I've met are the most unassuming and speak the least about brand names etc. I don't know whether that's something to emulate before or after I earn my billions, though!

CRH 01-02-2017 10:33 PM

I call it a camper.

SeaLevel 01-03-2017 04:03 AM

We refer to ours as the trailer, and to our TV as the truck.

RFP 01-03-2017 05:06 AM

Well, we just refer to ours as "Cookie." :wally:

Lily&Me 01-03-2017 05:14 AM

I generally refer to the Interstate as a conversion van, or Class B motorhome.

That is its descriptor, Airstream is just its brand.

Maggie

overlander63 01-03-2017 05:40 AM

I used to simply call ours "Bertha".
Until a busybody neighbor heard me say something about taking Bertha camping.
Then, suddenly, I was running around on my wife, I was a low-life piece of scum, and our divorce was imminent.
Since then, it's "the camper".

jholder 01-03-2017 05:44 AM

Yes, yes. Hopefully you guys know I was just poking a little fun. Well 50% anyway. My biggest point was the pride in quality and how unique they are. As one of the comments above referred- this week we were parked with so many in the $300-$1M Prevost....and yet the AS stood out the most. It's just memorable where the others blend.

Joking aside, call it what you want but quality is always in the description.