Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1952-1960 Caravanner (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Now It Starts... Rebuild of Audrey (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/now-it-starts-rebuild-of-audrey-160491.html)

islandtrader 06-29-2019 09:55 AM

Screen Door

4 Attachment(s)
I think this is it for the completing the door.

I never did like the concept of riveting the screen part to the door to the back side of the door. If you have to replace the screen that means popping off the rivets and re riveting the screen back in.

My solution was to go to the Depot and buy a make your own screen frame and some aluminum screen. Insert this into the door and have the screen spline show out ward so you could change the screen easily. All went well with the exception of the aluminum screen...I just could not make it look good sitting in the frame. So plan B was use the fiberglass screen. It works. Now I won't worry if the dog or grand kid punches it out.

Attachment 344812

Attachment 344813

Attachment 344814

Attachment 344815

57Vintage 06-29-2019 12:59 PM

Great idea, I like the ability to replace without disassembly.

islandtrader 07-05-2019 09:15 AM

Inside Panel Replacement

7 Attachment(s)
When I first got the Airstream I thought I would pull the original panels, strip them down and repaint.

After trying every paint stripper known to man, I decided that I will not live long enough to strip everything off. Plus after removing 50 years of everyone else's modifications I decided that there were far to many hole to replace.Besides when you look at the pictures you will see for what ever reason the previous owners used about a 100 slotted head screws to re fasten the 13 panel...ugh what a PIA to remove.

My plan is a simple one...trace the old, cut and fit. Then treat the panels with Aluma Kleen, and then a light metals conversion, install and paint.

Hopefully I will get this done (everything except paint and install) before we leave this god awful feels like 110 heat for August and September .

Slotted heads to hold panel...??

Attachment 345442

Attachment 345443

Attachment 345444

Aluma Kleen

Attachment 345445

Light Metal treatment

Attachment 345446

I like the artsy pattern...maybe clear coat and keep it this way

Attachment 345447

The goto tool bag, that keeps me organized

Attachment 345448

Joyflea 07-05-2019 05:15 PM

Love it . And man that’s a nice paper weight. Heat and hurricanes, that is one thing I don’t miss . Keep up the good work , Blue .

steinVT 07-06-2019 06:40 AM

I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was that all of my panels were the original Zolatone. Just rough them up with the DA and move on. And using screws instead of rivets, painful. The PO came from the school of "Everything looks like a nail if all you have is a hammer".

Nice work, you will have the newest antique trailer around with all the new aluminum.

It's hot in Vermont, I can't image what it's like in Florida.
Mark

islandtrader 07-20-2019 08:55 AM

Trial fit

3 Attachment(s)
Just a few more pictures on the panels...definitely need 3 people to put up 4x12 panels.

Attachment 347147

Attachment 347148

Attachment 347149

islandtrader 07-22-2019 08:40 AM

At Last!

1 Attachment(s)
Finally the last of the panels are cut. Tomorrow a little bead rolling on some edges and then finish up D R I L L I N G approx. of the 1500 holes needed to than buck rivet in the 1500 rivets for the front and rear 13 panels. :rolleyes:

Attachment 347317

Joyflea 07-22-2019 09:15 AM

Looks great !

Bubba L 07-22-2019 11:03 AM

Terry, practice makes perfect. With 1500 rivets, I知 sure they値l be perfect. Are you assembling outside then carrying it in to cleco? It値l look great. You値l be a 然osie the Riveter in no time.

islandtrader 07-24-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba L (Post 2267372)
Terry, practice makes perfect. With 1500 rivets, I知 sure they値l be perfect. Are you assembling outside then carrying it in to cleco? It値l look great. You値l be a 然osie the Riveter in no time.

Ha ha ...my wife is the Rosei...I'm just her helper.:D:

We will assemble and rivet outside of the shell and then carry in.

islandtrader 07-31-2019 08:34 AM

Hiding Place

2 Attachment(s)
Well it is time to leave the FLA. summer humidity behind and to put the Old Gal in the safe spot until we get back in October.

Pretty much got accomplished what I wanted before leaving. Now if I can remember where all those wires go when I get back that will be a good thing.:lol:

Attachment 348112

Attachment 348113

islandtrader 11-08-2019 08:32 AM

Hard at it!

3 Attachment(s)
It takes a week to close up the house for a two month vacation ...and a whole MONTH to get every thing back in shape.

Feels good to get back inside the old tin can. Finally got all the NEW panels trial fitted and did a little brake work to frame out the refer vent. Next step is to take all panels off and fasten all the wiring down and re-check to see that I have everything in the correct space. It is amazing after 2 months how much you forget. I looked at one wire and said "what's this for":lol:

Attachment 355797

Attachment 355798

Attachment 355799

Camper Crazy 11-09-2019 07:40 PM

Welcome back (to the reno). So many of us can identify with the "what the **** did I do that for, or who came in without checking and did that". That little trailer is really a spectacular one. It is coming along really well.
CC

islandtrader 11-18-2019 03:48 PM

AC drain

2 Attachment(s)
Getting more done every day I work on it. Most of the AC wiring is in the boxes and tucked in nice and tight. Today got the AC drain in and I think I will run it into the wheel well. It comes out under where the kitchen cabinets will be built.

The next step I think will be to assemble the end caps and buck those in. That should only be and hour job....OH I forgot the extra 0 :lol:

Attachment 356499

Attachment 356500

steinVT 11-19-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2306061)
It is amazing after 2 months how much you forget.

Same for us in the peanut gallery as well.

Please refresh my memory; you are replacing all of the interior aluminum including the 13 panel interior end caps? Why did you have to do that? You are basically making a new trailer because if I remember correctly, you replaced a bunch of the exterior skins as well.

Hat's off to you for taking this on. She should be beautiful when you are done - Mark

islandtrader 11-19-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinVT (Post 2309218)
Same for us in the peanut gallery as well.

Please refresh my memory; you are replacing all of the interior aluminum including the 13 panel interior end caps? Why did you have to do that? You are basically making a new trailer because if I remember correctly, you replaced a bunch of the exterior skins as well.

Hat's off to you for taking this on. She should be beautiful when you are done - Mark

If you go to post 143...that explains it all. Short answer 50 years of paint build up and too many holes. Only replace the back 3panels...they were just to lumpy.

Thanks for the kudos .

islandtrader 11-23-2019 07:36 AM

Lot of Window Angels

2 Attachment(s)
When you start a project like this you have rose color glasses on. If you do a second re-do you than are more realistic ...haha.

Anyway I had rose color glasses on and now I am paying the price. However I am really learning a lot.

I think there are 28 window frame pieces. That is a lot of brake work. D O N E!
It wil be a few weeks b-4 the inside is complete and then I can install.

The second picture is for steinvt :lol: There is so much paint a dip tank would not even get the sh!! off.

Attachment 356689

Attachment 356690

steinVT 11-24-2019 08:34 AM

Seeing the pictures, I now understand. I guess I never realized just how lucky I was. The only thing I had to deal with in the Safari was the original Zolatone. Window parts just needed polish. - Mark

islandtrader 12-06-2019 04:18 PM

A Riviting we will go

1 Attachment(s)
Decided it was time to pull up the old boot straps and start on the inside end caps.

Just for review...all new end caps. Drilled bead rolled and now ready to assemble.

The picture shows the rear one assembled with clecos. I started bucking in the rivets and did 100...I think I got 1400 to go...then we start the process all over again.

Hopefully I can finish this up in a few days. There is no way I can do this all in one sitting.

Attachment 357336

MrRivet 12-07-2019 08:58 AM

Looks like your making good progress since your return. What you stated in post #152 about taking a month to get things back in order is so true. We just returned a month ago from a 3 1/2 month trip out west and it痴 taken this long to be able to get back to our 48 Liner rebuild. It痴 taken me a couple of days to just figure out where I left off. We will be replacing the rear interior end cap on our Liner due to excessive dents so I値l be interested in how you progress with yours and hope I can pick up some tips while your installing it.

Safe Travels!!