Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1952-1960 Caravanner (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Now It Starts... Rebuild of Audrey (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/now-it-starts-rebuild-of-audrey-160491.html)

islandtrader 04-11-2019 08:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV (Post 2229425)
Nice solution to the oversized lamp holes. I also have had issues with nutserts. When they work, they are nice. When they go bad it's a real mess. On the door, the '55 I did was made from 100% formed flat stock, making repairs much easier than cast framed or bent extrusion doors.
Really top shelf work!

Thanks...as for the nutserts when you have to drill more than 2 holes to line up I never use them...do not ask how I know this...:D

In this application they worked out great...

Attachment 337917

Attachment 337918

islandtrader 04-14-2019 04:55 PM

Change of Plans

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2222491)
Actually I plan to buck rivet them on. So far every hole drilled -1 has been in the c channel and the cleco's go all the way through the trim, outer skin and the belly pan skin. So I think I'm good to go.

This trim piece if I remember correctly is off a 70ish Airstream and is stocked by AS. Being extruded and not stamped like the original piece makes it much thinner. It also has grooves in the edges so if you want you can add vinyl trim.

Originally I thought of bucking in the trim pieces ...but after giving it some thought. Screws were the answer. I wanted to use aluminum so there would be no corrosion factor. Found some antique ones on ebay that were pan head slotted. Perfect for the look.

Attachment 338162

islandtrader 04-20-2019 04:34 PM

Final water check

1 Attachment(s)
Today my wife and I did the seams and window air check for water leaks . I am sure there are a lot of ways to do this, but this is what we did.

She was on the outside spraying down every seam and rivet with soapy water. I was in side the trailer with a compressed air sprayer. Following along were she was doing her thing. Every time she saw bubbles I marked the inside with tape. Afterward I went back and/or use tempro or flex seal on the areas that showed some leakage.

Waiting for the wire to show up so I can start a new phase...:lol:

Attachment 338664

Mansderm161 04-20-2019 05:44 PM

I admire you for doing this and hope to see it one day. I can't even begin to fathom the work involved. It's great you can both work together on It!

islandtrader 04-30-2019 10:04 PM

Door Lock My way

When I bought the Airstream the H20 was not installed. However it was in the trailer drawer. After doing some searches I saw that the door was missing the wood block that held the housing...I also saw in some posts how folks built a alum square frame. I did not like the wood idea,and did not have any sq. Tube laying around. So I bent a u bracket like you see holding boat gauges..simple and it works👍

islandtrader 04-30-2019 10:08 PM

Door Escutcheon...my way

1 Attachment(s)
When I bought the Airstream the H20 was not installed. However it was in the trailer drawer. After doing some searches I saw that the door was missing the wood block that held the housing...I also saw in some posts how folks built a alum square frame. I did not like the wood idea,and did not have any sq. Tube laying around. So I bent a u bracket like you see holding boat gauges..simple and it works👍
Attachment 339483

islandtrader 05-06-2019 07:31 AM

More Patches

3 Attachment(s)
When deciding where to put my shore power hook up and city water line...I just could not force myself to drill new holes into an already holy AS. Even though it is more mid ship than I would like. I decided to patch a opening that was already there, by installing my hook ups there.

Attachment 339874

Attachment 339875

Attachment 339876

All in all my wife likes it and that's ok by me....:D

islandtrader 05-08-2019 03:01 PM

Insulation

4 Attachment(s)
After over analyzing everything on insulation I decided to use 3/4" Poly Foam EPS. Instead of trying to keep heat out, I am going to try and keep the cool in. There is only so much you can with 1.5 inches of space. The wiring will go on top of the insulation. Again pro's and cons but hey it is my trailer...:lol:

What I do like about installing the stuff is that you don't have to be to exact on size. And you can use almost every bit of the 4x8. If you cut short you just cut a scrap piece shove it in and then tape it up. I also am taping every seam.

Todays work the back 13 panels.

Attachment 340150

Attachment 340153

Attachment 340154

Attachment 340155

islandtrader 05-18-2019 07:57 AM

Another Milestone!

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing earth shattering...just finished 99% of my insulation. Only left the rear sections open where the tail lights and license plate will be installed.

Used 11 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch eps, about 20 tubes of adhesive and one roll of foil tape.

Now on to the next challenge W I R I N G :huh:

Attachment 341011

islandtrader 05-20-2019 07:36 AM

Wiring

5 Attachment(s)
I forgot how many feet of wire any vehicle takes when you re-wire something. Just for starters I ordered 200 feet of wire. I used over 150 feet on just the trailer lights alone. :lol:

I did heat shrink disconnects on all the lights just as a ease of replacement. Most likely will do all connections on the dc end with disconnects.

Also installed the fresh water tank inlet. Small steps but really pushing hard to have wire and plumbing done b4 our summer hiatus ...

Attachment 341209 Attachment 341210

Attachment 341211 Attachment 341212

Attachment 341213

MrRivet 05-21-2019 06:48 AM

Outstanding progress! Getting past those huge ďMilestonesĒ is always a great motivator.

Safe Travels!!
Tim

islandtrader 05-25-2019 08:43 AM

Another Hole Covered

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this louver panel from joyflea...it really is a lot nicer looking than the standard stuff you can buy.

Attachment 341566

Camper Crazy 05-26-2019 10:04 AM

Boy its coming together, piece by piece. Looking good.
CC

islandtrader 06-02-2019 04:17 PM

Mock Up

2 Attachment(s)
There is only so much space in a 22 footer. I was not sure where and how to put my distribution system, including batteries.

Decided to do a mock up and see if everything would fit. It is looking very promising. I have it inside the door on the left. The bottom is for batteries and the top part which give up space to the refrigerator houses the inverter/charger, main and sub panels. Plus the dc hook up.

If anyone out their see's something that does not look right please speak up.

Attachment 342319

Attachment 342320

islandtrader 06-05-2019 05:07 PM

What am I missing in circuits ?

Before I order my Main, sub-panels and a DC panel. I am just checking if I am missing anything. I have pulled all of the wire and before I start on the next phase I thought I would check in and ask.

DC Panel
  • Led lights in:
  • bedroom
  • kitchen
  • settee
  • center ceiling
  • outside porch
  • bathroom
  • Maxfans
  • carbon monoxide lp warning
  • TV
  • Water Pump
  • Refrigerator

AC Sub Panel
  • 15 amp Outlets 3
  • Air Conditioning
  • Micro wave
  • Refrigerator
  • GFIC outlets 2

This will also be posted in general section.
Thanks

Bubba L 06-05-2019 05:46 PM

Kent,
DC:
Controls on HWH, depending on which heater
Tank monitors
Heater if needed
A couple of extra DC leads into storage area for future lighting?

Iím donít remember which appliances you were installing. Iím sure youív got it all covered.

57Vintage 06-05-2019 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you wanted that as a single panel, I'd suggest looking at Blue Sea. Mine is left and center for DC (Main & 15 breakers) and AC on the right (Main & 6 breakers) The only down side I found was the included breakers were all 15 amp. They don't fill the panel I think it came with the 2 mains and 9 breakers.

Attachment 342611

Keep in mind I feed this from the multiplex/batteries. I have a separate panel to control shore power. It has a main and 6 breakers between the two pieces (wasn't thinking far enough ahead that I wanted more than 3 circuits, when a feed to the multiplex takes 2 slots). I needed 1 for AC, 1 for 120v side of frig (Isotherm) and a microwave plug-in. Leaves me a spare for future.

Attachment 342612

islandtrader 06-08-2019 04:14 PM

Fun Project..

8 Attachment(s)
Even though this whole project should be fun, we all know better:lol:

Wanted to install the outside wash down/shower some place convenient. My wife and I thought the best place to do this was by the entry. That way a quick rinse of the feet or whatever and then into the cabin.

I have this particular shower/rinse off hose on my boat and it works terrific.
The inside part will be covered by the settee so everything worked out well. Blue aka joyflea made me a matching louver to cover the hole.

The cover swings down and is hinged at the bottom. I used some very strong magnets on the inside and on the cover to hold it shut. Epoxied them to each surface.

Mock up first.

Attachment 342813Attachment 342814

Attachment 342815Attachment 342816

Attachment 342817Attachment 342818

Attachment 342819Attachment 342820

Next big thing is getting the lock and door straightened out.

steinVT 06-09-2019 06:34 AM

Nicely done. Should be very handy at keeping sand out of the trailer. Or even showering when not at a camp ground.

I think "wet" baths in vintage trailers are probably best in name only. :rolleyes:
Mark

islandtrader 06-24-2019 10:10 AM

Lock Fix

7 Attachment(s)
Hopefully this will shed some new light on these old locks and how to use them even if you do not have all the parts.

Back story: When I bought the the 56 Caravanner the PO took the old Bargman out and installed a locking hasp in its place and put in a round house hold door knob and lock. Lucky for me that he kept the old H20 and L55.

After tearing apart the lock set I found out that the the brass bushing that the handle fits into was galled out and beyond repair. Also the key lock and the inside cam where missing.

As everyone well knows finding parts is next to impossible and I was not going to spend $300+ for a NOS one. Since I am renovating and not doing a restore I was not concerned that what I am doing is not original. I just liked the h20 so I said how can I make this work?

The hard part was how to make the handle turn the lock set. (I gave up on the key)The brass bushing was nowhere to be found. The good part was the opening that it fits in was 1/2 inch hex. Hopefully the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

Attachment 344297

Attachment 344298

Attachment 344299

Attachment 344300

Attachment 344301

Attachment 344302

Attachment 344303

Also posted in Lock section