Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1952-1960 Caravanner (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Now It Starts... Rebuild of Audrey (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/now-it-starts-rebuild-of-audrey-160491.html)

Bubba L 01-07-2018 10:29 AM

The wheel wells look great. Wished I would have thought of that. My galvanized ones were in decent shape so I sanded them down and used Por 15. I hope they hold up. Keep up the great work and the informative posts. Good luck, Bubba

islandtrader 01-13-2018 08:09 AM

1 step back 2 forward

8 Attachment(s)
Just to rehash...last spring I took the frame in for repair. New A up front, some patches and out riggers. Very happy with the work. Brought it home, cleaned it up and then used POR15 silver. Since the frame was not to see UV no top coat was applied over it. Fast forward the por15 did not hold up very well rust is showing thru, and boy did it yellow even though it was not in the sun.

Back to the welder to install straps for the grey and black water tanks. Brought it home pressure washed it and some of the por15 peeled right off. Por15 does not go over rust oleum primer well. No big deal only a days worth of quick sand an two cans of Eastwood rust aerosol encapsulator product (which i like better). And the trailer looks good again. Now I can start on the c channel and belly pan.

Oh yes I decided to put in a "hidden" false floor...to store things that should not be seen by every one...Attachment 302328

Attachment 302329

Attachment 302330

Attachment 302331

How the black water tank sits...

Attachment 302332
Attachment 302333
Attachment 302334
Attachment 302335

islandtrader 01-22-2018 08:06 AM

Little by little

4 Attachment(s)
I am going to call this lesson learned. First of all I am sure happy to have the set up I have. I can pull or put the shell on the frame anytime I need to check the fit. For me this has been a godsend. For some reason I did not cut the floor around the wheel wells correctly and the wheel well was not fitting. I know why that happened. So now I made the correction. I also cut in the holes for the waste tanks, and used my 2 new Christmas presents. I LOVE new tools...:lol:

Attachment 302816

Attachment 302817

Attachment 302818

Attachment 302819

islandtrader 01-25-2018 04:42 PM

Really?

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I am going to call this lesson learned #2...never ASSUME anything on a vintage airstream is a mirror image if there are 2 of them...

I posted pictures of my new wheel wells... I only had one wheel well to work with because the street side one was demolished in a blow out. The curbside looked just like the the other side...oh how wrong I was. The picture shows how much difference there is between the two. I have some trimming to do. You would think they were mirror images, but they are not...does someone want to chime in and hazard a guess.

Attachment 302990

Bubba L 01-25-2018 05:28 PM

My wheel wells were off, but not that far. Thereís no telling why thereís such a difference. I guess as long as you put everything back and it works, thatís a plus. Decades from now when the next owner gets it, heíll wonder the same. Also, I have enough lessons learned I could write a book. I donít keep count, just try not to make the same mistake three times. Everything is looking great. Keep up the good work. Bubba

Rocinante 01-25-2018 06:36 PM

This trailer is a "hand-crafted beauty," that's why. ;) Great job, much better to have too much aluminum than not enough.

rmkrum 01-25-2018 06:58 PM

It's a great way to avoid the, "I trimmed this thing THREE times and its STILL too darn small..." syndrome.

Don't ask me why I know this one entirely too well.....

islandtrader 01-29-2018 04:36 PM

Shame on me!

2 Attachment(s)
Boy this is really dumb...the worst part is I really did not even know that I did it :mad: I was trimming out my vent hole that was a little to small and I did not even feel the extra board.
Oh well at least the fix was easy...:brows:

Attachment 303229

Attachment 303230

DDickey 01-30-2018 04:21 PM

Under Floor Plumbing

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Islandtrader, this is what's going on underneath the floor of my bathroom. Raising the floor with 3 layers of 3/4" plywood over the 3/4" subfloor is the key to making it work. It all just barely fits

islandtrader 01-31-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDickey (Post 2061351)
Hey Islandtrader, this is what's going on underneath the floor of my bathroom. Raising the floor with 3 layers of 3/4" plywood over the 3/4" subfloor is the key to making it work. It all just barely fits

Thanks this helps a lot...I am guessing that where the pipes are for the shower you hollowed out the floor there.

DDickey 02-01-2018 08:19 AM

Here's another picture

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2061570)
Thanks this helps a lot...I am guessing that where the pipes are for the shower you hollowed out the floor there.

Yes, for the shower drain I had to hollow out the subfloor for the trap and cut the first two layers of plywood around the pipe. The third layer fit over the assembly and became the new subfloor.

The toilet flange was a little different because I dropped it in once the floor and the pan was done. I cut the first two layers 1" in diameter larger than necessary, then cut the top precisely once the floor was down, then dropped the shower pan and the flange in, and screwed the flange down with stainless steel screws. I couldn't use the tank's rubber gasket with the offset toilet flange, but the flange fit nicely down into the tank, the hole being about 1/2" in diameter larger than the flange. I then sealed the space between the tank and the flange with polyurethane and filled the entire space between the flange and the plywood with polyurethane. The assembly will require caulk around the toilet to ensure that water doesn't seep under it and rot the plywood. Other than that, it should be a good assembly

islandtrader 02-03-2018 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2058260)
I am going to call this lesson learned. First of all I am sure happy to have the set up I have. I can pull or put the shell on the frame anytime I need to check the fit. For me this has been a godsend. For some reason I did not cut the floor around the wheel wells correctly and the wheel well was not fitting. I know why that happened. So now I made the correction

I forgot to give my reason...again I should know better...the reason for not fitting correctly is when I cut the boards the frame was not level....the A** end of this thing hangs down about an inch or better... now every time I work on the frame it is level and blocked up in the back...hope this helps anyone who is stupid enough to go this route ...haha :brows:

Attachment 303462

islandtrader 02-07-2018 12:43 PM

Valterra Connection

3 Attachment(s)
Ok I need some help here... I am trying to connect a Valterra dump to my waste tanks. The problem right now is that the waste tank fitting is 3.5 inch thin wall pipe. So the tank and the valterra flange are same size. You can insert a PVC 3 inch pipe into the waste tank (I would use abs) and that would fit into the valterra valve fitting. Is this the way to go?? Or should I use a rubber coupling instead of a 3 inch abs pipe. (Also posted in general repair forum)

Attachment 303718

Attachment 303719

Attachment 303720

islandtrader 02-09-2018 09:00 AM

Attachment...body to frame

5 Attachment(s)
I saw this was posted some time ago and it seemed like a easy solution to attaching the body ribs to the frame. So this is my rendition of how I am doing it.

Attachment 303810
Attachment 303811
Attachment 303813
Attachment 303812

If you do not rout it out...it will not sit flush. After routing a little epoxy and then paint.
Now the angle can be inserted into the channel...
Attachment 303814

steinVT 02-11-2018 08:19 AM

I really like the idea of using captive nut plates for the ribs. I will do this.

Couple of things I am wondering about;

Why did you need to route the floor? Is it to clear the tangs of the nut plate?

And why did you feel you needed to add the L-bracket? I would be tempted to just use stainless steel bolts and fender washers.

Thanks, Mark

islandtrader 02-12-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinVT (Post 2065343)
I really like the idea of using captive nut plates for the ribs. I will do this.

Couple of things I am wondering about;

Why did you need to route the floor? Is it to clear the tangs of the nut plate?

And why did you feel you needed to add the L-bracket? I would be tempted to just use stainless steel bolts and fender washers.

Thanks, Mark

To answer your questions...Routing was necessary so the sub floor would sit flush to the out riggers...if you look at the picture real good you will see that the floor is not flush..this is an easy job.

The L bracket attaches to the rib of the shell...this is then ties it to nut plate. With washers a ss bolt there is no way to tie the rib to the frame.

I guess my thought process is this...if all the rivets failed that were connected to the c channel and all the screws pulled out of the c channel ...the body would still be tied into the frame and it can not come off. Make any sense...LOL

Hope this helps.

islandtrader 02-19-2018 04:39 PM

Sub Floor

3 Attachment(s)
For what ever reason...it seems like getting my subfloor completed is taking for ever. It is the foundation so I guess it should be done right.

Two coats of epoxy and numerous coats of exterior water base hopefully that will keep the rot away for a decade or so. I decided to add a moisture barrier on the frame to keep water from seeping in and to compress the floor to the frame so that there is no gaps. I really don't know if this will work as intended, but since they do it in house building and it really did not cost that much and is easy to do... Next major part is tipping the frame to attach the scary awful belly pans :lol:

Attachment 304548

Attachment 304549

Attachment 304550

DDickey 02-21-2018 07:42 AM

Belly Pan

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2068296)
For what ever reason...it seems like getting my subfloor completed is taking for ever. It is the foundation so I guess it should be done right.

Two coats of epoxy and numerous coats of exterior water base hopefully that will keep the rot away for a decade or so. I decided to add a moisture barrier on the frame to keep water from seeping in and to compress the floor to the frame so that there is no gaps. I really don't know if this will work as intended, but since they do it in house building and it really did not cost that much and is easy to do... Next major part is tipping the frame to attach the scary awful belly pans :lol:

Attachment 304548

Attachment 304549

Attachment 304550

The thought of the belly pan is way more scary than actually fabricating the belly pan. It's not nearly as hard as you think it'll be, go for it!

islandtrader 02-26-2018 04:31 PM

Sideways...

2 Attachment(s)
Making progress...tilted the trailer on it's side. Ordered the belly pan aluminum.
Next update hopefully soon.

Attachment 305054

Attachment 305055

Bubba L 02-26-2018 04:46 PM

Youíre making good progress. I hope you enjoy the belly pan corners more than I did. Good luck and have fun. Bubba