Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1952-1960 Caravanner (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Now It Starts... Rebuild of Audrey (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f115/now-it-starts-rebuild-of-audrey-160491.html)

islandtrader 06-16-2017 09:15 PM

Big score
 
1 Attachment(s)
I always watch Craigslist....today was a good day. I bought new 2 custom single mattresses that are $1000.00. Never used for $300. Exactly what I was wanting. It's great to find things way b4 you need them 😎
Attachment 287695

islandtrader 06-20-2017 08:39 PM

Do you see it...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Well the layout of bath and bed's is now finalized. Now I can order the grey and black water tanks.

Attachment 287898

utahredrock 06-25-2017 09:40 AM

Good stuff! Keep it coming.

Monza 06-28-2017 08:20 AM

Nice work, frame and sub floor looks good.

DDickey 06-28-2017 11:00 AM

Black Tank
 
Hey Islandtrader, here's a link to the tank I used for black. Since the tank isn't sloped, and since it's only 4" deep, I installed a 1/2" fitting on the side of the tank to connect fresh water to flush it. I aimed the port directly at the toilet fitting in case the solids want to pile up under the toilet. The port is connected to a readily accessible valve next to the water heater, and it can be easily flushed any time. I tested it yesterday and I think it's going to work well. Here's the link:

https://www.tank-mart.com/rv-marine-...-tank-783.html

DDickey 07-10-2017 06:20 PM

Link to the escape hatch handles and catches
 
Hey islandtrader,

Here's a link to the Hehr handles and catches for the escape hatch on VTS

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-322.htm

islandtrader 09-13-2017 09:25 AM

Dodged the Bullet!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Living in southwest florida and on a barrier island at times it can be perilous. We normally leave in August and come back early October. This is the best time to see the rest of the U.S. when our weather sucks. We always button up the house for hurricane season. Not to bore anyone with the facts, but we were only 50 miles from the eye, and were in the bullseye until it turned and hit Marco.

The Airstream was tied down but this picture should tell you something. :lol:

Attachment 294752

Aerowood 09-13-2017 01:54 PM

Any damage or just moved over a bit.

islandtrader 09-13-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerowood (Post 2008141)
Any damage or just moved over a bit.

Just moved over a wee bit...a friend of mine just pushed back to the original position. As you can see it could not go any farther and would not of fell off the frame as the chain hoist was holding it from the top.

DDickey 09-13-2017 08:09 PM

Wowwwwww
 
Seems like you did indeed dodge a bullet

islandtrader 10-17-2017 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtrader (Post 2008027)
Living in southwest florida and on a barrier island at times it can be perilous. We normally leave in August and come back early October. This is the best time to see the rest of the U.S. when our weather sucks. We always button up the house for hurricane season. Not to bore anyone with the facts, but we were only 50 miles from the eye, and were in the bullseye until it turned and hit Marco.

The Airstream was tied down but this picture should tell you something. :lol:

Attachment 294752

Now that I am back home I had a chance to look at the Airstream and assess any damage. None to speak off.:D However what is really interesting is how the wind of the hurricane does change direction once it passes over your area.

The picture above shows the shell being blown to the east...meaning wind off the gulf...Now picture number two shows some minor damage to the eye brow on the west side of the trailer. Meaning the trailer was first blown west, then east. Oh well I'm really happy that this was the extent of the damage.

Attachment 297192

islandtrader 10-23-2017 07:36 PM

Done...
 
Well I think I am completely done taking everything off the A/S...with the exception of an eyebrow or two. Now hopefully the “more” fun will start by doing construction 🔨 instead of de-construction :brows: I wonder if bucking all those rivits in will get as boring as taking them out.LOL

DDickey 11-11-2017 07:22 AM

Tanks
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey islantrader,

I realized last night that I told you something a little different than what I ended up doing with my tanks. I have three waste tanks, two grays tied together in the frame with a black tank in the middle of them. Originally, the aft gray tank was going to handle the shower and the sink, but I decided to rearrange my bathroom and now the aft tank only handles the shower (the pic omits the fore gray tank), and the fore gray tank will handle the kitchen sink and the lavatory. The key to making it all work was to raise the bathroom floor 3" over the frame.

islandtrader 11-12-2017 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDickey (Post 2033237)
Hey islantrader,

I realized last night that I told you something a little different than what I ended up doing with my tanks. I have three waste tanks, two grays tied together in the frame with a black tank in the middle of them. Originally, the aft gray tank was going to handle the shower and the sink, but I decided to rearrange my bathroom and now the aft tank only handles the shower (the pic omits the fore gray tank), and the fore gray tank will handle the kitchen sink and the lavatory. The key to making it all work was to raise the bathroom floor 3" over the frame.

Thanks...this is what I am doing, a little like yours, but in different configurations

Attachment 298887

islandtrader 11-15-2017 09:12 PM

Fabrication and repair
 
4 Attachment(s)
Today I needed to repair some c channels that were bent up for god knows what reason.
I cut out the destroyed ones, and then got my brake and got to work. After making the new channel I sistered them in,and now I’m all set to move on to the next repair :lol:
Attachment 299204

Attachment 299205

Attachment 299207

Attachment 299208

islandtrader 11-27-2017 11:03 AM

I wonder why?
 
4 Attachment(s)
While up north for the thanksgiving holiday I was looking at a few of my b4 AS photos and my wife and I always wondered why Airstream never continued the bottom trim piece all the way to the wheel wells...so I did a quick touch up to see what it would look like.

We like the look...

Attachment 299885

Attachment 299886

Attachment 299887

Attachment 299888

islandtrader 12-09-2017 08:43 AM

Low Rider !
 
3 Attachment(s)
Today was the day to pull the frame out from under the AS. My tanks (grey and black)came in, so now it is off to the welder to have him put in some brackets to hold them and also do a few other things that I did not notice the last time I took it there.

I am lucky that I can lift the AS on and off by myself, and that really has been great especially trying to get everything to fit. Now with the body on rollers, it will be easy to work on the top and start chasing down leaks...

I love this slammed look....goes back to my hot rod days....:lol:

Attachment 300617

The golf cart makes pulling the frame easy.

Attachment 300618

The two grey tanks in position.
Attachment 300619

steinVT 01-04-2018 06:21 AM

Lifting the Shell
 
Thanks for taking the time to make these posts. I am about seven months behind you in restoring my 1956 Safari. Unlike you I live in Vermont were it is now 15 degrees, up from -10F a couple of days ago. Prior to the cold weather we got our trailer stripped and the floor removed. This coming spring we will be separating it from the frame because I have exactly the same frame problems you did.

A couple of questions about your lifting mechanism:
1. On early photos you appeared to have tied the two sides of the trailer together with 2x4"'s ? screwed into the ribs? There seemed to be a bunch of them with some upward angled braces as well. In later photos they seem to be gone, not needed?

2. One one picture it looks like you are pulling against a 5/4" x 6" x 12'? board against the roof with your chain hoist. I am assuming that was through the center vent panel?

When we get these trailers done we should make a swap. You come up here in the summer and we'll visit you in the winter.:brows:

Thanks,
Mark

islandtrader 01-05-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinVT (Post 2051548)

A couple of questions about your lifting mechanism:
1. On early photos you appeared to have tied the two sides of the trailer together with 2x4"'s ? screwed into the ribs? There seemed to be a bunch of them with some upward angled braces as well. In later photos they seem to be gone, not needed?

2. One one picture it looks like you are pulling against a 5/4" x 6" x 12'? board against the roof with your chain hoist. I am assuming that was through the center vent panel?

When we get these trailers done we should make a swap. You come up here in the summer and we'll visit you in the winter.:brows:

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks,
#1...you are correct, after crawling around I saw that I only needed 2. I screwed the 2x4 into the ribs flush to where the floor would be. That way every time I need to check the fit they will not get in the way.

#2...Yes pulling through the center...I was lucky to have the beam...with a chain hoist I can raise and lower anytime and check the fit...

#3...anything is possible...:D

islandtrader 01-07-2018 09:40 AM

New Wheel Wells
 
4 Attachment(s)
For the life of me I can not understand why AS in building an all Aluminum trailer put in galvanized wheel wells. Mine were shot...one from rusting out and the other from a blow out.

I found a HVAC shop that made some up for me. I had them done in Aluminum. The shop used what they build pans out of here in florida in the salt air on the gulf. It is heavier than the outside skins by a gauge or 2. Plus they are coated to keep them from corroding. I actually put paint stripper on the coating and it did not come off. So I think these will last for some time...

Blow out...

Attachment 302020

Old and New

Attachment 302022

New

Attachment 302023
Attachment 302024


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.