Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   1967 Overlander renovation (the full Monty) (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/1967-overlander-renovation-the-full-monty-158909.html)

chrisetmike 10-30-2016 12:55 PM

1967 Overlander renovation (the full Monty)

4 Attachment(s)
Here we go , one year after we purchased our 1967 Overlander ,we have started to work on her. We have also given her a name Anne( named for LM Montgomery's character in Anne of Green Gables).She was bought in PEI.

The first step was building a shelter. The shelter permits us to keep working after dark and in wet weather.

We have now started to gut the interior (very carefully) and marking every piece as they come out.

Our biggest mistake so far is breaking a window. That one hurt! Poor Corning window, we really needed you to hang in there, why did you leave us so soon.

The photos are mostly before shots ,the shelter and the progress we have made so far.

Cochese 10-30-2016 05:23 PM

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

chrisetmike 10-30-2016 06:15 PM

Critter condo has to go !

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the remnants of some long gone critters

dbj216 10-30-2016 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello from Colorado. Your 67 Overlander is similar to my 66 Trade Wind, however the 67 trailers got the new bathroom. It looks like yours is an International version. That's special indeed. I'd like to follow along if I may.

Your project is going to take a bunch of time. Just keep plugging along. Full Montes weren't created in a day. It's fun to renew these old Airstreams. They are fun to travel with too. I've had mine for 4 years now. It was not a full monte project, but still a lot of work.

Here is a photo of the mouse mummy I found. I'm re-plumbing the fresh water system in my 86 due to a inaccessible leak. This critter was found in the fresh water pan under the trailer. The 86 is built differently than the 66.

David

64airstream 10-30-2016 08:16 PM

And congratulations from Pennsylvania. What a great workshop!

It's always great to officially start an Airstream project. It seems to me, though, that we never really finish them. We love to keep tweaking and adding and improving. The folks here are great as a resource, as inspiration, and as provoker of thoughts and ideas from start to tweaking. We've seen a huge difference between our first project (before finding these forums) and our second (after).

By the way, our second project was a '68 Overlander, (International twin). If interested, our project is documented here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f394...er-155180.html

We hope you and enjoy your project and we get to meet on the road in the future,

Roy and Marie

chrisetmike 10-31-2016 05:15 AM

Wow I am interested in learning from others. Our trailer is a International with the cherry finish, unfortunately previous owners decided to paint over the wood :( . We will be replacing the old wood with new. We will replace it with new cherry wood.

64airstream 10-31-2016 05:44 AM

Our first project ('64 Safari) had all the wood painted by the previous owner. We spent several weeks stripping, sanding and refinishing the original cabinets and doors and they came out beautifully. That was relatively easy, because we had gutted the interior for the restoration. On the other hand, making new cabinets gives you the opportunity to make it exactly the way you want. If interested, the 64 project is documented at 64airstream.com (webpage hasn't been updated for quite awhile.)

Roy

GumbyGirl 10-31-2016 11:45 AM

Following

I'm looking forward to following your progress. We have a 1970 Overlander International that needs minor tweaks. We spent this past weekend removing one window that was broken and removing old numbers to prepare for resealing, all the seams.

Cathy

68 TWind 10-31-2016 12:46 PM

Check out TomW's web site on his restoration of his 67 Overlander. Tom's a good friend mine and will gladly help you with info if you need it.

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirstreamIndex.htm

ke6gkv 10-31-2016 03:38 PM

Welcome , i love the overlander. My favorite airstream was my 64 overlander( nice square,flat windows)all original; alas,lost to a fire. Look forwad to your updates.

ALANSD 10-31-2016 04:10 PM

Tom's web site is a good one. Helped me when I was doing our 66 Overlander 5 or 6 years ago.

chrisetmike 10-31-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALANSD (Post 1871359)
Tom's web site is a good one. Helped me when I was doing our 66 Overlander 5 or 6 years ago.

It has a lot of useful information. I plan on reading up as we go. It is nice to have someone who has been there and done that. ;)

chrisetmike 10-31-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6gkv (Post 1871335)
Welcome , i love the overlander. My favorite airstream was my 64 overlander( nice square,flat windows)all original; alas,lost to a fire. Look forwad to your updates.

That was some bad luck :(

chrisetmike 10-31-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64airstream (Post 1871074)
Our first project ('64 Safari) had all the wood painted by the previous owner. We spent several weeks stripping, sanding and refinishing the original cabinets and doors and they came out beautifully. That was relatively easy, because we had gutted the interior for the restoration. On the other hand, making new cabinets gives you the opportunity to make it exactly the way you want. If interested, the 64 project is documented at 64airstream.com (webpage hasn't been updated for quite awhile.)

Roy

Thanks for the link. I will check that out.