Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1962 Safari (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321/)
-   -   1962 22' Safari (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f321/1962-22-safari-15592.html)

jcferguson 03-22-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Uwe or anyone else,
Be honest, have you ever pushed the lines on the fitting only to find out that you had the screw on piece backwards? I did it once, a real pain to take apart again.

I am going to use your confession as a cautionary and meditate and endeavor to put my pieces on in the right direction when I get to my plumbing. I expect I will put it on backwards exactly 50% of the time.

azflycaster 03-22-2006 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcferguson
I am going to use your confession as a cautionary and meditate and endeavor to put my pieces on in the right direction when I get to my plumbing. I expect I will put it on backwards exactly 50% of the time.

I bet you will only do it once. I was working under the sink on a line I could almost reach :angry: .

jcferguson 03-22-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

I bet you will only do it once. I was working under the sink on a line I could almost reach :angry: .

fly,

3/8" or 1/2" pex there? Which kind of pex?

c

uwe 03-22-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Uwe or anyone else,
Be honest, have you ever pushed the lines on the fitting only to find out that you had the screw on piece backwards? I did it once, a real pain to take apart again.

Confession time:

nut backwards on pex - 0
nut in drawer, pex on barb - 3-4 times
flare nut on bench, copper flare finished and perfect - 2-3 times
flare nut on, but bent tubng too close to flare - 3 times
decent knowledge of english language swear words - priceless!

azflycaster 03-22-2006 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

fly,

3/8" or 1/2" pex there? Which kind of pex?

c

It's 3/8". Not sure what the PO used, but the pieces I replaced were Flexpex. I got the parts from http://www.pexconnection.com
I had to correct the problem of the city water line being connect to the hot water line. In my previous post you can see where I used a straight couple (on the right). That is where the ciry water line was T'd.

flyfshr 03-22-2006 08:48 PM

JC ~

On your plumbing drawing, I would also add a built in pressure regulator on the city water side. Put it just after the city hook up and before the PEX. This way you'll never have to worry about the thing staying on the hose all of the time. Save yourself the headache.

Brad
FF

uwe 03-22-2006 08:55 PM

I second Brad's suggestion.
I put one in as well, right by the city water hose adapter. Those small ones are hard to find. I got mine off ebay, NOS.

azflycaster 03-22-2006 08:58 PM

A water heater bypass would be a good thing to consider also.

jcferguson 03-22-2006 10:22 PM

Keep em' coming you guys, I'm on it! Regulator bypass and a reverse flair pex nut. I'm gonna have water everywhere.

flyfshr 03-22-2006 10:50 PM

Not a regulator bypass but a city water pressure regulator. The pressure of normal city supplied water without the regulator will cause water everywhere. Not a good thing in that lovely wooden interior.

Brad
FF

Macozil 03-23-2006 07:11 AM

I can be of no assistance in the design of the toilet, but I can help with the naming of it!

the:
"Pop-up Poop-down"
"Carlos-Can"
"Hide-a-dump"
"Black Drawer"
"Area 51 and 2"
"Turdis"

Thats all i got right now.

jcferguson 03-23-2006 08:29 AM

Turdis! That is pure genius. I will get a long scarf to wear when I use it.

A-Merry-Can 03-23-2006 11:09 AM

plumbing connections...

hey guys, i'm in a plumbing mood on my trade wind as well... i noticed you guys are using the flare fittings, rather than the crimp tool... which i already bought... did i waste my money? is there an advantage to the flare versus the crimp fittings?

i'm planning on learning all i can on the trade wind before i do it right in the '59! ha!

jp

jcferguson 03-23-2006 11:13 AM

Waste your money? You mean beyond the thousands already poured into your project? Ha! I am watching my savings "sublimate" like ice on a spring day.

So I say go for it, and if I lived nearer I would be over at your house doing my plumbing. From all the searching I have done, it seems the crimper is "better", but more expensive for the tool.

A-Merry-Can 03-23-2006 11:24 AM

ha! i hear ya, man! aluminum doesn't burn... but it burns money!

i got the crimpers with the aluminum handle... why not? :D seriously, though i guess the only downside would be ease of repair at a campsite with the crimpers vs the screw ons... and as far as price is concerned, those flare fittings add up... i bet it'll end up costing the same, amortized over 2 trailers, anyway...

did you see my plumbing post? i started one about the same time you asked. ha! here it is:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ind-21471.html

jp

jcferguson 03-23-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
ha! i hear ya, man! aluminum doesn't burn... but it burns money!

i got the crimpers with the aluminum handle... why not? :D seriously, though i guess the only downside would be ease of repair at a campsite with the crimpers vs the screw ons... and as far as price is concerned, those flare fittings add up... i bet it'll end up costing the same, amortized over 2 trailers, anyway...

did you see my plumbing post? i started one about the same time you asked. ha! here it is:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ind-21471.html

jp

Just two trailers? C'mon...

That diagram is just what I needed. This forum needs a Wiki for all these different systems so that beginners can just look at a collection of systems operations.

C

jcferguson 03-23-2006 06:20 PM

Drawer

3 Attachment(s)
My kitchen spaces are populating, these will be the main storage drawers for pots and pans and such. The bottom drawer on the left might be big enough for a rubbish bin and recycle thingy.

The larger drawers on the right have dados so that I can slip a piece of plywood in to divide the space if I want. If I would have though of that earlier, the stack on the left would have them as well.

jcferguson 03-23-2006 06:22 PM

dinette details

6 Attachment(s)
These are some details of the dinette design.

fastrob 03-23-2006 08:36 PM

Shower Plans?

Quote:

I had thought about a copper shower pan (I could solder it myself with a torch - I don't have a mig or tig welder which means stainless would require help).

The copper pan sounds great. But I would use fiberglass or plastic for weight. A Google of 'antique shower rods' revealed some nice round and oval shapes but do you want to clutter up the interior with a shower? What are your plans?

R

jcferguson 03-23-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastrob
The copper pan sounds great. But I would use fiberglass or plastic for weight. A Google of 'antique shower rods' revealed some nice round and oval shapes but do you want to clutter up the interior with a shower? What are your plans?

R

Well, I need some kind of get-me-clean space, as this will be a live-in for a lot of the time. I could make a tub on the left side of the dinette and just have a toilet by the door under the counter. Or it could be a full wet bath, or some sort of collapse-able wet bath. I am still trying to have a flash of inspiration about this. Come on, flash. Ok, now. Flash.