Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   Ford Powerstroke VS Duramax and Cummings (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/ford-powerstroke-vs-duramax-and-cummings-155498.html)

franklyfrank 08-18-2016 11:28 PM

Ford Powerstroke VS Duramax and Cummings

Which is the best all around choice ? Considering performance, quite operation, and general maintenance. What are the issues with the emission additives ?

drboyd 08-18-2016 11:48 PM

Subscribing.

ROBERTSUNRUS 08-19-2016 12:25 AM

And let the wars begin.

:) Hi, the best one, is the one that you decided to spend your hard earned money on. Since they sell big numbers of all of them, they are all the best. :flowers:

SpletKay06 08-19-2016 12:54 AM

Im a Ram guy so thats my option. But they all share the same emissions issues anymore. The problem is the egr recirculating the sooty exhaust right back in your engine. Not to mention all the issuses with the dpf and scr.

crispyboy 08-19-2016 07:55 AM

The competition is fierce between the big three at this point in the game (comparing 2016 models), it really doesn't make that big a difference for the general rv towing duties most on this board use them for.
Since many of the kinks have been worked out of the various brands I think it really comes down to personal preference of the curb appeal, warranty, price, comfort, etc....
I am partial to the straight six cylinder engine in the Dodge (used since 1989 in two variants) - it is a proven work horse especially now that they have had a good automatic transmission since 2007 and the emission system have improved.
I have friends and family members with their brand of trucks and which seem to do just fine for them.
Do the preventative maintenance, don't abuse it and typically a vehicle will perform pretty good.

Tyvekcat 08-19-2016 08:39 AM

Ctd

LOL There was already a thread removed yesterday, we going for two in two days?

I like the Cummins in the Dodge, ( will always be Dodge to me). Very reliable, doesn't overheat, and pulls like a EMD SD60.
It has Michelin's on it too, if that helps,

joel 08-19-2016 08:39 AM

Got a brother with a 2016 duramax and a bro in law with a Cummins both swear by them. If you have a local fleet service check with them if you know them. Mine says if $ are not an issue go duramax. That being said he drives a Ford with probably the best engine ever the 7.3 power stroke. Of course he has the facilities to completely rebuild them and put it in any thing he wants. I have almost 200,000 on my duramax and would buy the same good luck shopping.

avionstream 08-19-2016 08:41 AM

Cummins, I don't know what a Cummings is.

Tyvekcat 08-19-2016 09:13 AM

double bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by avionstream (Post 1837583)
Cummins, I don't know what a Cummings is.

damned ole auto-correct. Guess it thought it was the town, ( without the 'S')

Glad I didn't do that on the DTR forum :D
thanks for warning me Avionstream,

avionstream 08-19-2016 09:14 AM

I shouldn't have said anything. Same thing happens to me all the time, just being a smart as@

Mrjkq 08-19-2016 09:26 AM

I've has two of the 3 you mentioned. Both the duramax & powerstroke were excellent trucks. My complaint with the ford was twofold, the mpg was poor and the 26 gallon fuel tank was insufficient for long term towing unless you enjoy frequent fuel stops and I mean frequent as it didn't take long for the needle to get below a half tank and then you start planning for your next fuel stop. My GMC had a 36 gallon tank and I understand the RAM has 31 gal.

SCOTTinNJ 08-19-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrjkq (Post 1837621)
I've has two of the 3 you mentioned. Both the duramax & powerstroke were excellent trucks. My complaint with the ford was twofold, the mpg was poor and the 26 gallon fuel tank was insufficient for long term towing unless you enjoy frequent fuel stops and I mean frequent as it didn't take long for the needle to get below a half tank and then you start planning for your next fuel stop. My GMC had a 36 gallon tank and I understand the RAM has 31 gal.

True. But Ford addressed this for 2017.

GCinSC2 08-19-2016 11:58 AM

Dodge Cummins here 2005 with 183K on it.

But you didn't specify new or used and year?

One thing about the Ford that I cannot accept is since roughly the 6.0L and for sure with the 6.7L is having to remove the entire cab to work on the engine. It just rubs me wrong.

Good luck.

VaTravelers 08-19-2016 12:19 PM

I have a Ford F250 - I had some problems with an internal oil leak which caused an injector problem. It cost me $2,200 to fix. Other than that it runs quietly and smoothly and get's decent mileage. But as everyone has said, they all are more than qualified to pull an AS up a hill or down the road without any problems.