Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   Flying Cloud Interior versus... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/flying-cloud-interior-versus-154838.html)

LilBigfoot 08-05-2016 01:21 PM

Flying Cloud Interior versus...

Was thinking about the various Airstream Interior choices. Serenity, International, etc. And was wondering why those of you who choose the Flying Cloud picked it.....other than cost?

Hullap 08-05-2016 01:35 PM

The International Signature was never a consideration for us as the cabinetry was just too dark in our opinion. We think that the Flying Cloud will be more robust than the International Serenity over time. Even at the same price, we would still have chosen the Flying Cloud.

sheriff1 08-05-2016 01:51 PM

Flying cloud, light color of cabinets and didn't like see through sliding doors.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

Caffeinated 08-05-2016 06:37 PM

Pretty much what they said. Liked the lighter bamboo veneer much more than the darker colors, and I liked the marine ply.

SteveSueMac 08-05-2016 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a 2012 27FB Flying Cloud. We went in to a bunch at the dealer and this was just the one that resonated most. Light wood veneer colors, vista windows - just seemed light and airy to us and the configuration somehow worked best for us of all the ones we walked through. We didn't know anything and feel very lucky we went with the front bed because the rear dinette (when we're NOT sleeping) provides some pretty stellar views!

Attachment 268403

aftermath 08-05-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriff1 (Post 1831308)
Flying cloud, light color of cabinets and didn't like see through sliding doors.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

This is it for us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSueMac (Post 1831447)
We have a 2012 27FB Flying Cloud. We went in to a bunch at the dealer and this was just the one that resonated most. Light wood veneer colors, vista windows - just seemed light and airy to us and the configuration somehow worked best for us of all the ones we walked through. We didn't know anything and feel very lucky we went with the front bed because the rear dinette (when we're NOT sleeping) provides some pretty stellar views!

Attachment 268403

FB vs. RB was not the question. I do like the "light wood veneer colors" as well but you can get the vista windows in the International as well.

Plasma800 08-05-2016 08:10 PM

I love my signature. Love the cabinets, love the semi-opaque doors. But you do need to think about what's on the other side. We use different colored items to make them decorative when the lights are turned on.

Once I saw how Monica Bennet did it, using small colored pillows just on the other side of the frosted glass, I was hooked!

SteveSueMac 08-05-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aftermath (Post 1831449)
This is it for us!

FB vs. RB was not the question. I do like the "light wood veneer colors" as well but you can get the vista windows in the International as well.

Apologies - meant to explain how visiting several versions on the lot helped us make the decision and frankly, we got lucky as this was our first and we just didn't know what we didn't know...there's no right/wrong with configurations....

We're in to the light cabinets and exposed aluminum interior walls...

Happy camping!

Plasma800 08-05-2016 08:17 PM

I'll link you to one of her images and you can see the bedroom in the background.

http://just5moreminutes.com/blog/wp-...1/cabinet2.jpg

gandttimes 08-05-2016 11:16 PM

Had a flying cloud. Didn't like the flip up cupboards. Bumped our heads too many times.
Liked the sliding cabinets with interior lights and the contrasting dark cabinets and light leather and corion countertops of the CCD. 3 years later and we still love it.

Blackdog06 08-06-2016 05:03 AM

Everyone is so different...and that's good! I prefer the mid-toned colors of the FC and love the flip up cabinets, probably because I know the sliders would never get closed. Kinda like the doors of the old TV entertainment center were always open no matter how much I groused!

lsbrodsky 08-06-2016 05:42 AM

I guess Airstream did it right in this case: providing choices. I was going to buy a new FC because I could not see paying extra for a different interior, already a premium price. But when we looked at a lightly used Serenity my wife fell in love with the quasi-Oriental design interior. We like the light color finish on the cabinets, aluminum walls, fake bamboo. We prefer the sliders to lift up cabinets on euro hinges. Strangely, the most attractive feature is the fake rice paper window in the bathroom door.

Larry

GettinAway 08-06-2016 06:05 AM

We liked the FC better, because the other models were all pretty modern to us as far as style goes. I like the other features of the more expensive models, like the windows in the curve of the ceiling, but the colors of the cabinets just didn't feel right to us. We've added colors we like in pillows, carpet runners, pictures etc.

FCStreamer 08-06-2016 08:02 AM

I had my eye on a Classic. But after sitting in several I didn't come to like the look. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful. But not me. The International was too dark for my taste. We were looking for a recliner model and a FC30 came around which we were not looking at but decided to. And we were sold with the lighter, more modern looking interiors.

Glad there are different choices to folks to pick from. It's not always about price.

dkottum 08-06-2016 08:40 AM

Saved a bundle on purchase price which paid for a full slate of factory options and a recliner conversion at Jackson Center. The interior is always pleasant, takes any decorating scheme well, is durable and the cabinets have no issues in 1,000 nights camping.

Seemore2006 08-06-2016 11:05 AM

I only like the flip up cabinets as the sliders are a hassle for me and I'm not a fan of moving things around to take another thing out. They seem roomier and stay neater for us.

369goose 08-06-2016 11:19 AM

Flying Cloud a Interior Versus...

SteveSueMac, Did your FC come with the single recliner or did you add that? If so, where would you suggest finding the recliner as we are Hopi g to modify our FC with a recliner.

Thx,
369goose

SteveSueMac 08-06-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 369goose (Post 1831638)
SteveSueMac, Did your FC come with the single recliner or did you add that? If so, where would you suggest finding the recliner as we are Hopi g to modify our FC with a recliner.

Thx,

369goose

No, we had the standard couch that can convert to a bed with the table top but it wasn't all that comfortable and it's really just the 2 of us and our hound. The Kottum's did a pair of recliners which we might try in the future but it takes relocating some mechanicals in our 27FB.

So we had the one put in at the factory (drop shipped the chair there from Villa Int'l) and had them cut the table down to that piano lid shape.

Very happy with it! Good luck!!

Debit 08-06-2016 12:35 PM

We bought the 26" FC - model 26U. Loved the floor plan, u-shaped dinette, which wasn't an option in the International models. Also, the slightly larger bathroom and vanity appealed to us. We still get the slide out microwave, two TV setup, but with one that articulates out of the door, so you can watch outside under the awning. Wish we had the "cut-in" spice rack next to the stove. We opted for the black ultra-suede, which (we think) offers a very nice contrast to the lighter colored, bamboo surfaces. If the 26U was available in the Serenity, we would have seriously considered it. Love those colors and finishes also.

dkottum 08-06-2016 01:22 PM

The 26U has some nice features, good travel and living size. I saw the video of Patrick at Colonial pulling out the TV to watch outdoors and wondered how many bugs would fly into the Airstream with the screen door open (not that we appreciate campground neighbors who run TV's and radios outside).

Rgentum 08-06-2016 01:24 PM

To me, the dark (ebony?) cabinets & upholstery are gloomy & depressing, and I wanted to step into the trailer & get a feeling of light & airy.

As for the slide out drawers, coming back from the WV rally, we had the microwave slide-out cabinet slide out twice while travelling, dumping the microwave on the floor. I thought I liked the slide-out microwave cabinet, but now I need to put a keeper on the door to keep from finding the microwave on the floor a third time.

greghoro 08-06-2016 01:32 PM

Twin beds were only offered on Flying Cloud as a standard floor plan, which dictated our choice.

Greg

Len n Jeanne 08-06-2016 02:08 PM

Our first AS had the International dark interior. I suppose it looked more sophisticated, but when we had to spend much of a rainy day indoors, or were camping in the shoulder season when it was dark early and late, it was kind of gloomy inside. The FC is light, bright, and out of sight!

abqdor 08-06-2016 03:13 PM

Being our first Airstream, we opted for the lighter interior of the Flying Cloud. It was actually the bright airiness that drew us to the Airstream. Having shopped for almost a year for trailers we looked at a lot of SOB's, but they all had very dark interiors and moving up from a pop up with lots of windows, we wanted a light and airy feel. We're very happy with the cashew leather and lighter cabinets. The only problem my wife had with the trailer was a very dark bathroom in the 25' FB model since there is no window. We solved this by buying the longer oval window from Airstream that is found in other models and installed it in the door. Now there is much more light in the bathroom.

gecko 08-06-2016 06:03 PM

We have two different friends who recently bought FC's. Both said that they did so because they needed darker cushions because they have dogs, and it was less pricey than either of the Internationals, CCD or Serenity.

Personally, I think that the cashew interior with the light wood is a much lighter look. If we were to have chosen an FC, it would have been for the "warmer" feel of that interior.

But we purchased in 2009. We fell in love with the CCD signature, but ultimately decided the dark cabinetry would be counter to our love of bright. We anted up another 5k over the CCD for the Ocean Breeze. The white cabinetry , silver finished bulkheads, and light colored upholstery have rewarded us with the very brightest interior that Airstream offers--and we love it!

Nobody has mentioned this, but our International came standard with the three awning package that we find invaluable in its flexibility. I believe this is a pricey option on the FC?

I think the FC interiors are beautiful, too. We were just so tired of the wood in other trailers that we were drawn to the Internationals. Considering buying new again, we're waiting to see what will replace the Serenity. We like it, but like our Ocean Breeze much better.

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many great choices?

SMLJeep 08-06-2016 08:04 PM

Have a 2015 FC 23FB and are moving up to. FC 27FB. We don't like the sliding doors. Never liked them on closets in houses we owned and didn't want them in our AS.

Jwestman 08-06-2016 08:47 PM

We are not fans of air conditioning and so appreciate fabric instead of leather during the heat of the summer.

cptfish 08-19-2016 01:36 AM

We love both. Our first trailer was a 25' 2010 FC and now we have a 27' 2014 onyx International. I don't mind the darker interior in the onyx since it is shiny and we get a lot of light bounce and reflection. Have not had any problems with the microwave slider as some others have and so we love that. One advantage to the international is the upper cabinets are considerably larger. You Ishtar look at the upper cabinets in both.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

SSquared 08-19-2016 09:24 PM

One thing not mentioned so far. In the 30 foot floorplan, the Flying Cloud has cabinets above the side dinette. The International has vista view windows instead. Which is better, is a personal preference thing.

By the way, I am not sure this difference is true for all model years.

We have a 2013 25FB twin Flying Cloud and would choose Flying Cloud trim again.