Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Working on the Road (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f521/)
-   -   Verizon warns HUGE data users: Switch plans or else (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f521/verizon-warns-huge-data-users-switch-plans-or-else-154243.html)

wulfraat 07-24-2016 10:23 PM

Verizon warns HUGE data users: Switch plans or else

There you have it - watch out of you are full-timing with a grandfathered unlimited Verizon data plan.... all good things come to an end...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/23/news...ers/index.html

mixedpuppy 07-25-2016 12:27 AM

Technomadia has a really good rundown on this at

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/bre...limited-plans/

The essence seems to be very large users, averaging 500GB/month, will be cut off. I thought I was a heavy user but only get up to around 80GB/mo.

mccrosti 07-25-2016 05:46 AM

If you're burning 500 gig a month , you need to get out of your trailer more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

wulfraat 07-25-2016 12:57 PM

I work from home and between that and streaming Netflix, etc I use about 300 Gigs... 4K streaming will blow that up :)

Janet H 07-25-2016 01:05 PM

I had a similar experience with ATT quite a few years back and an unlimited data plan for my air card. While they honored the unlimited plan, they began to throttle at a pretty low threshold rendering the connection useless. Condolences to verizon users :unhappy:

mixedpuppy 07-25-2016 11:05 PM

I work and stream, I'm hard pressed to hit 100gb. You just have to lower video quality on the streaming which makes a huge difference. The video quality difference is just not that big a deal.

mixedpuppy 07-25-2016 11:07 PM

and meant to add...I have a verizon grandfathered account and am not really worried about it at my level of usage. Once back in the US I plan on getting a tmobile with bingon for video and use verizon for work.

cazual6 07-26-2016 11:54 AM

Get unlimited plan. Root your phone. go to XDA developers for help how.

--DISCLAIMER--

I am not condoning hacking. I have only heard about this method from another thread :wally:

FreedomRings 07-26-2016 11:55 AM

I'm with mccrosti, you really need to get out of the cabin. BUT, I have Verizon and they upped my usage to 2G's with no additional cost. Give them a call and maybe they'll do the same for you.

graysailor 07-26-2016 12:07 PM

They are all such crooks. Right up there with Sat/Cable TV.

kdickinson 07-26-2016 12:12 PM

nothing is forever is it? Maybe Verizon has to pay for their acquisition of Yahoo - perhaps we can consider them to also be Yahoo's now ...

FilmGuy 07-26-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccrosti (Post 1825999)
If you're burning 500 gig a month , you need to get out of your trailer more often.

Perhaps so, but I'm a video producer, and I burned well over 8GB yesterday delivering some video files to my editor. It represented only 2 hours of color-correction work and audio mixing on my part. We're not all just cruising Facebook.

Plan-B 07-26-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 1826198)
I had a similar experience with ATT quite a few years back and an unlimited data plan for my air card. While they honored the unlimited plan, they began to throttle at a pretty low threshold rendering the connection useless. Condolences to verizon users :unhappy:

Me too, old and original ATT unlimited plan. ATT lost the class action suit on this one. No more throttling. Maybe after 150g/mth? . It just stinks out traveling west with ATT.

Phoenix 07-27-2016 02:31 AM

Re: Grandfathered former-Millenicom users on Verizon Wireless

Note for grandfathered "Millenicom" users on Verizon Wireless:

I just noticed new data plans on my "MyVerizon" Web page, and investigated upgrading from our current $99.99/20GB (Millenicom) plan to $110/24GB. The new plan allows four additional gigs of data for $10; and it includes Carryover Data, Safety Mode and device use in Mexico and Canada at no extra charge.

However, when preparing to switch to the new plan, I found out that since I have a Verizon (Millenicom) Novatel 4510L MiFi device instead of a smartphone, there is an additional $20 per month "line access fee". This increases the cost of the $110/24GB plan to $130/month, plus additional fees and taxes. So, the extra 4GB for $10 ends up actually costing $30+, which is no longer such a good deal. Also, not sure, but the $20 line access fee probably applies to all plans, for those with Jetpacks or MiFi devices.

Anyway, I thought that any grandfathered Millenicom users might want to know the true cost BEFORE they change data plans; as I suspect there is no switching back to the old Millenicom plan.