Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Brexit Impact to the Airstream Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/brexit-impact-to-the-airstream-community-152757.html)

akjam 06-24-2016 01:58 PM

Brexit Impact to the Airstream Community

I thought it would be worthwhile to begin to compile a list of the extraordinary changes that the recent decision by the citizens of the United Kingdom to withdraw from the European Union would have on all Airstream owners. Feel free to add anything I have missed.
  • Airstreamers will no longer be able to tow their trailers across the English Channel without passports. Please ensure you have all your travel documentation in order prior to heading to Europe from anywhere in the UK.
  • While the British pound has devalued to the lowest point since 1985, this does not mean a drop in the weight of your rig as measured in Imperial pounds. If you haven't weighted your rig lately to ensure you are within allowable limits, that this opportunity to do so.
  • The sharp drop in major US stock indices as a result of the vote is unprecedented - wait, never mind, that's happened before and it'll go back up again.

What else am I forgetting?:brows:

McDave 06-24-2016 02:04 PM

I don't imagine there will be as many new Airstreams sold in the UK as before, since the value of the pound is dropping. OTOH, maybe it would be a good time to take a vacation in the UK. As far as border controls are concerned, I understand there is no immediate impact. Those things will have to be worked out with treaties over the next year or so.

Fly at Night 06-24-2016 02:14 PM

A TIC commentary. ;)

martin300662 06-24-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akjam (Post 1810802)
[*]Airstreamers will no longer be able to tow their trailers across the English Channel without passports. Please ensure you have all your travel documentation in order prior to heading to Europe from anywhere in the UK.

The UK had always maintained passport control into mainland Europe anyway so you could not cross without passport.

The only border impacted is the one between Northern Ireland and the Republic, at least until they re-unite and Scotland leaves the union!

HowieE 06-24-2016 02:26 PM

Don't leave for vacation just yet the recession in England is just around the corner. That will be when to go.

Rocinante 06-24-2016 02:33 PM

Here's a joke you can all steal from me:

"Earlier today, Brits were forced to rename their 'Pound Sterling' to the 'Half-A-Pound Sterling.'"

Pa-Dum-Psh!

markdoane 06-24-2016 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is only a necessary first step toward putting The Empire back together. Secret talks underway with South Africa and Australia. Imminent invasion of Canada. Lots of things on the drawing board.
Make The Empire great again.
Thanks,
Liz II

NWGetaways 06-24-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akjam (Post 1810802)
i thought it would be worthwhile to begin to compile a list of the extraordinary changes that the recent decision by the citizens of the united kingdom to withdraw from the european union would have on all airstream owners. Feel free to add anything i have missed.
  • airstreamers will no longer be able to tow their trailers across the english channel without passports. Please ensure you have all your travel documentation in order prior to heading to europe from anywhere in the uk.
  • while the british pound has devalued to the lowest point since 1985, this does not mean a drop in the weight of your rig as measured in imperial pounds. If you haven't weighted your rig lately to ensure you are within allowable limits, that this opportunity to do so.
  • the sharp drop in major us stock indices as a result of the vote is unprecedented - wait, never mind, that's happened before and it'll go back up again.

what else am i forgetting?:brows:

Funny!

SilverGate 06-24-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane (Post 1810837)
This is only a necessary first step toward putting The Empire back together. Secret talks underway with South Africa and Australia. Imminent invasion of Canada. Lots of things on the drawing board.
Thanks,
Liz II

... And pass the popcorn!:)

dsrtgrls 06-24-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane (Post 1810837)
Thanks,
Liz II

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: