Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Motorhome Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156/)
-   -   Wish list for 2017 Interstate (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156/wish-list-for-2017-interstate-148583.html)

GoWhereTowed 03-29-2016 02:31 PM

Wish list for 2017 Interstate

Having decided an Interstate is the Airstream in my future, and spending a lot of time researching, glad I am retired so I have time, here are a few things I would like to see in the 2017 models. Please feel free to add yours.

I have been told there will be a 6% price increase-that is pretty steep. Here are a few things they could do to take some of the sting out of that-

Michelin tires
Tire Pressure monitors
more fuel types
more tow weight
3 way refridge

Not having driven one yet, I am sure there are other things but you have to start somewhere. Chime in!!

BurntAsphalt 03-30-2016 07:17 PM

One thing that would make the AI unstoppable is an upgraded solar/battery combo sufficient to enable boondocking for more than a weekend. I don't like having to constantly monitor battery charge for fear of going below 50% and damaging the batteries.

lewster 03-30-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt (Post 1769795)
One thing that would make the AI unstoppable is an upgraded solar/battery combo sufficient to enable boondocking for more than a weekend. I don't like having to constantly monitor battery charge for fear of going below 50% and damaging the batteries.

Since you mentioned it, I just last week completed a new Grand Tour with an 800 amp/hour lithium bank, 400 watts of solar and a Magnum 3000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, along with multi use Cradlepoint cell/WiFi amplifier and a few other goodies. The roof A/C or microwave will easily operate for 5+ hours without the use of the generator during the solar day and will also operate quite nicely while the engine is running with a significant boost from the Sprinter's alternator system.

Not a cheap system, but it definitely expands the usable possibilities of the coach! :brows:

BurntAsphalt 03-30-2016 09:50 PM

Sounds like the ultimate urban (and rural) assault vehicle! Does it have to drag a grounding chain on the rear bumper?��

lewster 03-30-2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt (Post 1769847)
Sounds like the ultimate urban (and rural) assault vehicle! Does it have to drag a grounding chain on the rear bumper?��

Interesting concept :blink:…..but thankfully….NO!:lol:

Protagonist 03-30-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed (Post 1769190)
I have been told there will be a 6% price increase-that is pretty steep. Here are a few things they could do to take some of the sting out of that

Wrap the macerator pump with heat tape and wire it into the tank heater circuit so that the danged thing doesn't freeze during winter camping. Last time I went winter camping and the temperature dropped below freezing I had to drive 300 miles to warmer climes just to dump the waste tanks!

Lady Elaine 03-31-2016 01:19 PM

When will the upgrades on the 2017 be announced?

GoWhereTowed 03-31-2016 02:02 PM

In just the last few minutes, a dealer told me the factory meeting with dealers was late May, I believe the 24th. I believe that is when they introduce the new line. He actually read the options sheet to me and nothing he read was anything new. Do the know, or do they not?

dcrna1 05-13-2016 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2017 Changes

toskeysam 05-13-2016 07:55 AM

Seriously disappointing. That's about I can say, except that Jackson Center seems to be operating in a vacuum. A long rant about the competition's ability to respond to the market and spirit of innovation would be lost on them I'm afraid. Cosmetic changes will not do................decision time.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

toskeysam 05-13-2016 04:51 PM

Hmmmmm maybe I'm not in the "target market".....

Lady Elaine 05-14-2016 05:32 AM

Electrical upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster (Post 1769836)
Since you mentioned it, I just last week completed a new Grand Tour with an 800 amp/hour lithium bank, 400 watts of solar and a Magnum 3000 watt hybrid inverter/charger, along with multi use Cradlepoint cell/WiFi amplifier and a few other goodies. The roof A/C or microwave will easily operate for 5+ hours without the use of the generator during the solar day and will also operate quite nicely while the engine is running with a significant boost from the Sprinter's alternator system.

Not a cheap system, but it definitely expands the usable possibilities of the coach! :brows:

I am impressed that you could squeeze the batteries and solar into the available space. Approximate cost for these upgrades? And what part of the AI warranty is affected?

lewster 05-14-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Elaine (Post 1790906)
I am impressed that you could squeeze the batteries and solar into the available space. Approximate cost for these upgrades? And what part of the AI warranty is affected?

PM sent:D

mikemxo 05-17-2016 03:06 AM

Grand Tour upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster (Post 1769836)

Lewster:
I have a 2016 Grand Tour and want that upgrade--how do I contact you?