Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Lifestyle (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/)
-   -   New less expensive Airstream (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/new-less-expensive-airstream-144000.html)

HeadWest 11-23-2015 09:16 PM

New less expensive Airstream

An article on Bob Wheeler mentioning a new, less expensive Airstream coming out next year. I don't think this has been posted on Airforums.

L.A. Auto Show 2015: Airstream is 'crushing it' in sales, CEO says - LA Times

PaulnGina 11-23-2015 09:24 PM

Airstream can't keep up with demand as it is............ this is a good thing??

TexasVine 11-23-2015 09:26 PM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

cameront120 11-23-2015 10:09 PM

I wonder if it will be a re-introduction of the Argosy line?

Len n Jeanne 11-23-2015 10:18 PM

I wonder if it will be a 13' aluminum Casita.

But the sportier AS Basecamp model didn't seem to linger.

Drathaar 11-23-2015 10:26 PM

I'm thinking a big Casita like Airstream.

mandolindave 11-24-2015 05:49 AM

I've had the " pleasure " ( NOT ) of working on SOBs

I've come to the conclusion that a BIG part of the design of RVs has to do with ease and cost of manufacturing. Engineers also have to work with the cost and availability of materials, and current manufacturing technologies.

Could Airstream make a cheaper trailer? Probably.

Could Airstream make a cheaper better trailer? Maybe.

Could Airstream make a trailer that is easier to maintain? Yes

Could Airstream make a trailer that is better, cheaper, lighter, easier to maintain, and last 50 years. ??? Probably not.

It will be interesting to see this forum step all over each other to get a look at this new cheaper Airstream. And the ensuing threads? What fun.

Wayne&Sam 11-24-2015 05:53 AM

I think so too Drathaar. Based on the already designed and engineered European model Airstreams.

mandolindave 11-24-2015 06:05 AM

Wheeler said not aluminum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne (Post 1714818)
I wonder if it will be a 13' aluminum Casita.

But the sportier AS Basecamp model didn't seem to linger.

The base camp was a camper/utility trailer. It wasn't great at either. It seems that the younger crowd that Airstream was targeting, couldn't afford it. Most of the older crowd, didn't need or want it.

Wheeler said that it would look like an Airstream, smaller, priced around $33K.

I'm thinking more like $22K to be competitive. ( But then consider The Oliver )

I'm guessing fiberglass. A Casita that looks like an Airstream?? It sure sounds interesting.

moosetags 11-24-2015 06:12 AM

Airstream loves to use old model names. I guess Argosy is next up for a comeback.

Brian

Lily&Me 11-24-2015 06:18 AM

It will be fun to see what they come up with. :)

Maggie

SteveH 11-24-2015 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandolindave (Post 1714863)
The base camp was a camper/utility trailer. It wasn't great at either. It seems that the younger crowd that Airstream was targeting, couldn't afford it. Most of the older crowd, didn't need or want it.

Wheeler said that it would look like an Airstream, smaller, priced around $33K.

I'm thinking more like $22K to be competitive. ( But then consider The Oliver )

I'm guessing fiberglass. A Casita that looks like an Airstream?? It sure sounds interesting.

That wouldn't be such a bad thing, IMHO. I've owned a Casita 17 for several years also, and on the average I've had a lot less trouble with it than I have with my Airstreams. Of course, it's almost the epitome of simple.

AWCHIEF 11-24-2015 06:48 AM

To me most interesting statement,

"The new trailer won’t come in the traditional aluminum shell, Wheeler said, but will be unmistakably an Airstream when it arrives in the middle of 2016."

GeocamperAS 11-24-2015 06:53 AM

Being an owner of 2 Argosy's I would love to see the Argosy come back. As long as it is not square.