Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Shower door splash guard? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/shower-door-splash-guard-140613.html)

Gringo 09-02-2015 08:58 AM

Shower door splash guard?

I tried the Search function, but didn't see anything on this. Our 2011 27FB Int'l shower door has a clear plastic splash guard that runs along the bottom edge of the door. This one started ripping, coming apart where the hangy-down part connects to the in-the-door-groove part, if that makes sense.

Does anyone know where these come from, or more importantly, where I can find something to replace it with? I don't have any info on the shower door or enclosure manufacturer.

AWCHIEF 09-02-2015 09:28 AM

Have you contacted Airstream? I would bet they have hundreds of them in stock at any given time.

moosetags 09-02-2015 09:34 AM

The one on our 2015 25FB has already started ripping. When it got to about 6" hanging off, I tore the whole thing off with plans to replace it. We are traveling now, and have found that shower water does not get on the floor. Therefore, I'm not sure that I will ever bother replacing it.

Brian

dkottum 09-02-2015 09:58 AM

Not even sure why it's there, ours ripped quickly so I pulled it loose and forgot about it. Water stays in the shower without it. Water drips down from the door when opening, but what shower door doesn't, we have a bath mat for that and our wet feet.

Gringo 09-02-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 1678374)
Have you contacted Airstream? I would bet they have hundreds of them in stock at any given time.

Haven't yet. I was hoping someone would pipe in with the great news that the bath enclosure dept. at Home Depot or Lowes etc. carried them. Or Ace Hardware. Problem with Airstream is logistics. They're in Ohio. I'm on the side of a mountain in Colorado with the nearest pavement six miles away and the nearest Fed Ex office about 40 miles south of here. And I suspect it would cost more to courier it than it's worth.

JerryMcMunn 09-02-2015 10:37 AM

Shower Door Splash Guard Failure

The same thing happened in our 2012 International. Airstream replaced it and the second one ripped as well. I'm planning to check with our local glass shop. They sell & install tese doors & enclosures.

Cheesemaker 09-02-2015 11:05 AM

Have a 2013 FC that had the torn splash guard. Replace at WBCCI International from part brought by Airstream dealer who called it a shower sweep for $3.00. I found the original torn because the shower door had lost support and it actually was acting as a knife edge to the shower sweep. I raised the door by placing a 1/2 inch nylon washer between the door hinge and the bottom of the shower casement. The nylon washer has not changed position or shaken out in 6,000 miles of road travel.

msipek 09-02-2015 11:26 AM

I went through 3 of them in the first year. I think they were about $15 at the dealer! I finally gave up. I tape the inside bottom of the door with blue painter's tape from Lowe's when we shower. It works fine. I also put a wood shim under the door on the latch side when we travel. The problem is the screw at the top of the door. It's not strong enough to hold the door and it bends and decreases the clearance at the bottom. Airstream replaced my first door under warranty.

Billyg 09-02-2015 01:10 PM

I had the same problem on our new 2014 international . I had the dealer replace 2 and they gave me an extra one just in case. I change them myself since it just slips into a track. Well after the last one ripped I didn't bother and just took it out of the track and come to find out, it doesn't leak. I have more drips on our floor with it in place. Learn something every day.

greghoro 09-02-2015 03:49 PM

Check the top of the door. Ours had a strip on the top as well

I believe the part number is 703911-100

Had the same problem with the door collapsing due to weak top screw. Replaced with longer one and put nylon spacer at the bottom of hinge to provide support

Greg

MelGoddard 09-02-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1678376)
The one on our 2015 25FB has already started ripping. When it got to about 6" hanging off, I tore the whole thing off with plans to replace it. We are traveling now, and have found that shower water does not get on the floor. Therefore, I'm not sure that I will ever bother replacing it.

Brian

My shower door on a new 25'FB, leaks on the floor. Not ripping yet; too new.
Right from the dealer too.
I'm open to ideas on how to address that problem, as the door swings out.
If it swung in, I could put a larger seal in to overlap the door sill.

moosetags 09-02-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelGoddard (Post 1678584)
My shower door on a new 25'FB, leaks on the floor. Not ripping yet; too new.
Right from the dealer too.
I'm open to ideas on how to address that problem, as the door swings out.
If it swung in, I could put a larger seal in to overlap the door sill.

Is the shower door closing snugly at the bottom?

Brian

murreywalker 09-02-2015 05:34 PM

Brian (parts manager at Colonial Airstream) has these door sweeps.

And they're pretty easy to replace. I've done it twice.

AirEgger 09-02-2015 07:03 PM

Agree with many of the previous posters. Our 2012 FC went through a couple sweeps quickly. After that we found no leaks without the sweep, so haven't replaced it. So far no problems.