Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Replacing Air Conditioner with Roof Window (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/replacing-air-conditioner-with-roof-window-139676.html)

justgoclimb 08-13-2015 06:44 AM

Replacing Air Conditioner with Roof Window

I have a 1972 Overlander and I plan on removing the air conditioner. I was thinking it could be cool to install a window in its place, get a good look at the starry sky at night. Has anyone ever done this or heard of it being done?

Mostly I'm curious about obtaining a fixture to hold the glass, for mounting the window. Any tips on where to look/how to make one? Thanks!

mandolindave 08-13-2015 06:55 AM

Sorry to not answer your specific question.

I am thinking that a fantastic fan would be the best replacement for an AC unit, even if you already have one up in the front portion of the trailer.

One fan blowing in, and one fan blowing out, would move/exchange air quickly.

Or you could use the fantastic fan instead of the obnoxiously loud stove hood vent fan ( my AC unit is right by the stove )

The opening for the AC unit is ABOUT the same size as a fantastic fan opening..I think ( someone please chime in on this statement )

mandolindave 08-13-2015 07:05 AM

Even with the cost of a fantastic fan...

It might be cheaper to have done. OR easier for you to do yourself.

Check out the cost of a window, versus fantastic fan, versus just a dome vent.

Also a medium sized window in the ceiling would be a wake up call in the morning, hard to shade it, and most likely make the trailer very hot in the afternoon.

Kevin245 08-13-2015 07:12 AM

We have one of these in our 5-er above the shower. Ours is a double pane unit which helps with energy savings.

Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc.

mandolindave 08-13-2015 07:46 AM

Kevin used a EZ Tops sky light on a fifth wheel

Check out the EZ top video. The results might not look so great on aluminum.
AND they are meant for flat surfaces. ( but so are fantastic fans, although you can get the interior cover made for curved Airstreams.)

The EZ tops are just the plastic window….no frame

xrvr 08-13-2015 07:47 AM

Skylights can let a lot of light in but also can make it either hotter or colder inside. Now a window is another thing. I wouldn't want any type of window in my roof, too difficult to seal.

justgoclimb 08-13-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

We have one of these in our 5-er above the shower. Ours is a double pane unit which helps with energy savings.
Ah, that's basically what I had in mind. Although, like Mandolindave said, it may end up being an annoyance in the morning and throughout the day.

Another vent is an option, but I already have three others in the trailer. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Probably will end up just putting a vent there, or even patching with aluminum. I'm installing 4 solar panels on the roof so the extra space wouldn't hurt.

idroba 08-13-2015 08:55 AM

Unfortunately the night view also shares a sun view all day. Too much light and heat. It is easy to open the door and go outside at night to look at a much bigger view of the sky.

And I am not trying to be funny or snotty. But the sun in the day will become an issue I fear.

justgoclimb 08-13-2015 09:03 AM

Yeah I think you're right. It would be a fun custom addition at times, but in the long run I don't think I'd like it very much.

CLKIESER 08-13-2015 11:31 AM

We have two skylights in our 36'. They are nice for morning and evening light - but they also really HEAT the place up. I have to keep covers over them for the most part. A couple of things to consider if you install a window on the roof: 1. It would be a bugger to keep sealed. 2. The weight of snow, hail or even a downpour could net you a surprise you don't want to deal with.

Just my thoughts.
Connie

NavyCorpsman 08-13-2015 08:47 PM

What ever you decide, KEEP THE A/C unit. Mine is 37 Years old and am in the process of replacing the capacitors and adding a hard start cap to help it work a bit easier. If you or the future owner want it closer to original, it's so nice to have the original parts handy.

justgoclimb 08-14-2015 05:39 AM

Quote:

What ever you decide, KEEP THE A/C unit. Mine is 37 Years old and am in the process of replacing the capacitors and adding a hard start cap to help it work a bit easier. If you or the future owner want it closer to original, it's so nice to have the original parts handy.
Well I will probably sell it. The only thing original about this trailer is going to be the shell. I know some people like having the original appliances and stuff, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use a 40-year old air conditioner when they could have a new and quieter one for s few hundred bucks. I am going to leave all the wiring in place though so that it will be easy to add an air conditioner later if I or anyone else ever wants to. Thanks for the tip though, it's always smart to plan for resell.

Jacob D 08-14-2015 05:59 AM

Question for NavyCorpsman....My '67 still stays cool with original Armstrong A/C. New Capacitor put in when needed 2 yrs ago. What is a "hard start cap"?

NavyCorpsman 08-15-2015 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob D (Post 1668604)
Question for NavyCorpsman....My '67 still stays cool with original Armstrong A/C. New Capacitor put in when needed 2 yrs ago. What is a "hard start cap"?

It is an accessory capacitor that improves the starting torque by apprx 500%. It is attached to the start capacitor in parallel and boosts the momentary efficiency by providing a greater current "kick" to get the motor running. As the compressor ages, it requires more current to start. So a fella smarter than me did the math and came up with this solution. It has actually provided extra life to otherwise dead compressors. It is not a fix for a worn out unit, but if used early in the life of the component it will extend its life.
Why don't they do that from the get go? Because it slows new sales down. My Armstrong was built in 1977, and was built to work for a long time. I am sure it was to their demise. Sad but true. After 37 years of intermittent and continuous use, it gets things nice and COLD.
The capacitor is a SUPCO SPP6E, is available at Amazon for 22.50.
Just hook it up to the existing start capacitor and zip tie it in place.