Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Have to Slam the Door on a New AS? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/have-to-slam-the-door-on-a-new-as-138407.html)

ltorgy 07-19-2015 06:31 PM

Have to Slam the Door on a New AS?

OK maybe I should ask the dealer that we just bought our new AS from, but while out for our first trip (6 days), my wife and I were rather taken back by how much force it takes to close the door in order to get it to close completely. Yes, I know these are built solidly, but sheesh, the force it takes. This is easy from the outside, but seems a bit difficult from the inside. Besides, in most tight parks, the noise of slamming the door shut later in the evening can't be a nice thing for your neighbors to hear. Is this because the seals are new or do I need to adjust something, if there actually is something that can be adjusted? Or ask the dealer? Thanks for any help on the subject.

Sbb 07-19-2015 06:35 PM

I slam my 2006. Enjoy your new Airstream, but by all means ask your dealer, mine was purchased used so I did not have a dealer to go back to, and I will be waiting to hear what they say.

ROBERTSUNRUS 07-19-2015 06:41 PM

:) Hi, this is normal; I have adjusted my door perfectly, but these bodies flex and make closing your door harder at times. The worst thing you can do that will make your door hard to close is to crank too much on your stabilizers. When used, I crank mine until they hit the ground and give them another one-half turn. A very common mistake is when someone tries to use their stabilizers to level their trailer. Use blocks under your tires to level side to side and use your tongue jack to level your trailer front to back. Then use your stabilizers to do just that, stabilize your trailer as mentioned above.

Hope this helps you.

SteveSueMac 07-19-2015 06:42 PM

Have to Slam the Door on a New AS?

Our door was misaligned on our 2012 (purchased new). We had it fixed at Jackson Center on warranty. There was a point where either the misalignment, banging or both created a very dangerous condition - twice I was unable to get out of the trailer from the inside without a few minutes of finagling. If left alone, i wondered whether that condition could be permanent. Not a fun thought. They corrected it at the factory and it has worked perfectly ever since. Have it fixed on warranty.

AWCHIEF 07-19-2015 06:51 PM

Slam away, both my Airstreams have had tight well sealed doors. I consider it a plus and a sign of quality construction.

CRH 07-19-2015 07:34 PM

I guess mine is loose, sloppy, and shoddy...I can push it closed with one finger.

idroba 07-19-2015 07:42 PM

My 2014 FC 20 had a door which needed slamming. I had the dealer adjust it and it is much better now. Not one finger close, but acceptable. So, have it on your list when you take it in for warrantee work.

Jukeboxfun 07-19-2015 07:45 PM

Well ours did not close properly when we got it. Then the door latch post loosened on it's own. Before I used a crescent wrench to snug it up, I checked and adjusted the alignment. Works fine now.

ltorgy 07-19-2015 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never would have thought about the stabilizers and the level of the trailer. As a point of reference, I do level my trailer and I don't crank the stabilizers too much. I'll let everyone know what the dealer says.

Ag&Au 07-19-2015 10:13 PM

I cured the hard closing door on trailer when new, by thoroughly lubricating the latching mechanism.

Ken

xrvr 07-20-2015 05:45 AM

I suspect Bob has hit it on the head. Leveling properly helps a lot but any AS I have owned needed the door shut firmly, the Avion also. As the seals age it sometimes get easier, but that is another problem.

dkottum 07-20-2015 06:40 AM

Lubricate the latch contact points and mechanism and hinges frequently. Wipe the seal with Aerospace 303 or silicone. Ensure the adjustment is good, should be able to close with a flat hand on the latch and a good firm push from a few inches open, hard slamming is probably not good for the parts over time. Yes, they can be harder to close from the inside.

Uneven parking spot or uneven tightening of stabilizers can twist the frame/shell making the door hard to close, as mentioned earlier.

Krusty Buns 07-20-2015 11:44 AM

Check your hinges

We were having trouble with our door (2013 AS Serenity 28') I noticed the screws on the lower door hinge were loose. Tightened the screws now everything works well. Glad I noticed before losing the screws entirely.

m.hony 07-20-2015 11:49 AM

I still have to close mine firmly, but it is easier to close than before it was adjusted at Jackson Center.