Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tires (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/)
-   -   When have you checked the pressure in your spare? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/when-have-you-checked-the-pressure-in-your-spare-137903.html)

Alphonse 07-09-2015 10:37 AM

When have you checked the pressure in your spare?

I was reading a thread on tires today and the dialogue had shifted to spares. I was reminded that I had not checked the pressure in mine for far too long. Yep, I have a compressor on board but messing with airing the spare up on the side of the road may increase my exposure time to the dangers of the traffic flying by.

How is the air in yours?

dznf0g 07-09-2015 10:50 AM

Checked last month

Alphonse 07-09-2015 11:14 AM

Rich, you are a better man than me! But I am going to fix the problem as soon as I get over to the garage.

Tim A. 07-09-2015 11:26 AM

Years ago I added a flexible braided wire valve-stem extension to our Bambi's spare. The end is held by a small cable tie in a place that is easily reached by my pump or gauge. Any time I check tire pressures, the spare is always included.

Tim

AWCHIEF 07-09-2015 11:30 AM

As part of my preflight checklist I check it before every trip. Valve is down so do not have to drop the rack to check.

AnnArborBob 07-09-2015 11:32 AM

I have our spare on the TPMS so I check it everyday! :lol:

dznf0g 07-09-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim A. (Post 1649162)
Years ago I added a flexible braided wire valve-stem extension to our Bambi's spare. The end is held by a small cable tie in a place that is easily reached by my pump or gauge. Any time I check tire pressures, the spare is always included.

Tim

I did too, this spring. Another forum member showed one (amazon or ebay...can't remember) about 2 feet long, so the valve is on the a-frame by the HAHA jack bracket.

AWCHIEF 07-09-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnArborBob (Post 1649167)
I have our spare on the TPMS so I check it everyday! :lol:

I like that idea. Will have to check on getting another TST sender.

Alphonse 07-09-2015 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim A. (Post 1649162)

Tim

Here's a photo of one available through Amazon or Camping World. The SS braided one is for under chassis applications such as an Airstream. They also may one without the braid for the trunk of a car.

dznf0g 07-09-2015 02:47 PM

That looks like the one I ordered.

Alphonse 07-09-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznf0g (Post 1649256)
That looks like the one I ordered.

Rich, how does it work? Meaning does it leak, was it okay to install, does the bracket hold the end well, . . . . ??

I have one on order now.

A W Warn 07-09-2015 03:39 PM

Checking the pressure is on my pre-trip check list. Though one of those extension hoses a good idea. It's getting harder for me to get under the trailer and truck. (gravity must be getting more forceful)
How about checking the spare in the tow vehicle. It's even more important.

Alphonse 07-09-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A W Warn (Post 1649273)
. . . . . . . How about checking the spare in the tow vehicle. It's even more important.

Alan, I am going to give you an Amen on that.

If the braided hose I ordered turns out to be of decent quality, I will fit one on the truck as well.

Tim A. 07-09-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphonse (Post 1649267)
Rich, how does it work? Meaning does it leak, was it okay to install, does the bracket hold the end well, . . . . ??

I have one on order now.

The one your picture shows is identical to what I have. It has never leaked and installation was as simple as screwing it onto the tire valve. I did not use the bracket; a cable tie holds the end in place on the handle of the spare's bracket.

The extension has its own valve and holds the valve on the tire open.

Tim