Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Refrigerators (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/)
-   -   removing Dometic Refrigerator (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/removing-dometic-refrigerator-1366.html)

smily 08-12-2002 08:03 PM

removing Dometic Refrigerator

I have 71 Overlander with Dometic refrigerator.

My reefer does not work on AC any more..

Upon investigation I discovered a loose wire that feeds from the electrical box on the Refrigerator that goes to the heater element.

I have verified voltage, 120V, but as I said one of the wires has seperated from the element.

I cannot access the heater element to repair loose wire or replace the heater element if need be.

Does any one know how to remove the Dometic fridge? It is a dual coparrtment about 55 inches high and about 26 inches deep.

I have removed all of the screws that I can see from the inside of the trailer but it will not pull forward.

Does any one know if the unit is bolted to the floor? If it is bolted to the floor, does it require removing the underbelly to get to the bolts?

I think I can repair this fridge If I can just get it out of the trailer.

Thanks,
Smily

thenewkid64 08-12-2002 09:12 PM

If you open the door(s) on the fridge there are sometimes screws that go straigt into the floor in the corners. Top ones may be behind a trim panel, but the bottom ones should be visable with the door open.

smily 09-25-2002 06:49 AM

New AC only fridge

1 Attachment(s)
Okay,
I finally removed the old Dometic and priced repairs / replacement.

After much research I concluded that a 300 dollar AC only with 40 dollar inverter was the ticket. Our new refer is on sale at HD for 299 dollars. My wife loves it and it works ten times better than old Dometic. I had to do a little retrofit but was not to bad of an ordeal with my trusty Sawzall.

Take a look and see.........

3Ms75Argosy 09-25-2002 06:17 PM

New Fridge

The fridge looks awsome! (If it's o.k. to get excited about an appliance :D ). How do you power it when you don't have electrical hookup? Do you use the inverter while travelling? And lastly, is that a "Summit" fridge? Do you know the model #? I've been debating the whole AC only vs. AC/propane thing to replace my non-functioning fridge.
Marc

smily 09-26-2002 05:57 AM

Inverter

I installed a second battery and inverter for the Refrigerator when needed, but we stay at full hookup sites only. At least to date.

Seeing that you have an Argosy with plenty of battery and probably a generator, I would not go with anything else.

I actually got the idea from my father in law who has a Motor home and he replaced his dual power reefer with the same one that you see in the photo.

I do not know the model number but it is sold at Home depot and it is called a "twist-air". I assume beacause it has a fan in the freezer.

It kicks butt!

Smily

ya-ya 10-29-2006 04:04 PM

new fridge

We are considering doing the same thing I know which fridge you have I've seen it at HD. Not being mechanically inclined can you tell me how you finally got the old one out of your unit? We have an 81 or so Dometic. it's enclosed in a case like frame. Did you have to do anything about the possibility of it tipping while on the road? (i'm the family worrier). Any info would be helpful, we've never used the lp as we havent boondocked. I'm afraid I've been spoiled by all the amenities at the parks. When I boondock I pitch a tent. If anyone can help please write. I'm not worried about depreciation as we'll never sell it.
Thank you in advance,
Kathy and Doug:bb:

FlaAirstream 10-02-2007 06:34 AM

Kathy and Doug,

Replaced our Dometic a month ago with an Avanti. You can find it online. It has a SS front and looks great. Have lots of buds waiting for theirs to die so they can put one of these in. Frozen ice cream??? First time in 15 years of "Streaming" ;)

FlaAirstream 10-02-2007 06:43 AM

The old Dometic will come out fairly easy. Screws on the inside are exposed when you open the doors. Two large anchor bolts can be reached thru the back door. Then just pull and push til it starts to slide out. Have someone on the other side (bedroom side) to assist in taking it out. My wife and I removed ours.

As far as selling........ours is a 92 34' and we can't afford to sell it now. We've made all kinds of improvements. Oak floors, couch out, Lazy Boys in with a electric fireplace between them, hand made computer desk when the fold out table was (boy does that work good) and several other improvements. We're f/ts so we can cost justify all the improvements. Travel between the mountains in NC and our place in Florida.

Two Buds in a Can

Cristina1966 10-15-2007 08:38 PM

Hi,
I am trying to remove mine from a 1966 Sovereign. I had to saw the bolts at the bottom, it didn't move. Removed 4 screws on the right side panel, didn't move. Removed 2 screws under the storage bin on the left side. Still doesn't move. I am out of ideas, so please let me know how you did yours.
Thanks,
Cris

FlaAirstream 10-16-2007 04:38 AM

Push, pull

Hope by now you've got yours out. If not and if you feel you have all the attachments removed from inside and out you just need to push and pull. You might try some WD40 on the tracks at the bottom that can be reached thru the outside door. "You can do it":huh:

FlaAirstream 10-16-2007 04:42 AM

If I only knew how to post a photo I'd show you how our's looks. It's getting ready for it's first trip in about 10 days. That's the fridge I'm talking about. I've got it bolted down in the back with "L" brackets so I don't expect any problems. The road off this mountain is full of some tight turns so we'll be taking it easy.

PizzaChop 10-16-2007 04:58 AM

Cris,

This is a different year than yours but it might be the same.

I've removed two of them, but they were both 70s era.

FlaAirstream 10-16-2007 05:24 AM

Check my photos for the one we installed

Lumatic 10-16-2007 06:58 AM

Some of the fridges, like mine, are screwed into the cabinetry from sides and top. For my Tradewind have to remove the bulkhead by the coach entry door, the counter top and also screws through the pantry closet wall.